• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, they actually already have gone against lore with the inclusion of the Catapult-K2, which is explicitly noted as extinct during the time the game takes place.

One could say there were extenuating circumstances behind its inclusion, but one could also say it sets a precedent, so I understand the concern, and the time to voice this kind of thing is before the expansion is finalized, because they certainly won't be removing content once it ships.
You don't think that's a little bit nitpicky?
Its not cleanly analogous to the current issue. But also, it's in this game as a Marauder/Warhammer substitute since it also has 2 ppc's. It wouldn't have been in at all if Sauron hadn't arisen.

Its not cleanly analogous to the current issue. But also, it's in this game as a Marauder/Warhammer substitute since it also has 2 ppc's. It wouldn't have been in at all if Sauron hadn't arisen.

too bad we cant form a Fellowship to defeat him once and for all.
without any hobbits we wouldnt stand a chance

I don't think lifting a mech's extinction status for a game is that bad IMO, especially because of the Marauder/Warhammer situation. Again, at least it existed, it just isn't as rare as it was in lore...as in they exist period... :).

Except that discussion in and following what my comment referenced wasnt just pointing out an error for correction was it?

To quote you;

It was suggesting the Devs are may be intentionally ignoring lore based on supposition from a more likely spread sheet item that ended up copy-pasted into an example table during development. Theres an unnecessary leap being made with the earlier "presumably".

That I believe is why it's much ado about nothing.

Time will reveal all :)

If you would review the thread, you will note my initial post attributed the ER Mediums to either an error or (jokingly) an advance in the timeline.

Other commenters then suggested it may be intentional, in response to which I made the comment you have just quoted.

I still think it is just an error which needs fixing. But if it was intentional (& the whole concept of semi regular lostech rewards is already stretching the 3025 lore), that would be bad IMO.

Not necessary. I read all :D

Ah yes. "Joking"...
So hard to tell with so much following emphasis and word count direction placed on the joke rather than the error report.
No "presumably" occurring?

So then we do agree as I said;
Much ado about nothing atm. :)

Not necessary. I read all :D

Ah yes. Joking...
So hard to tell with so much following emphasis and word count direction placed on the joke rather than the error report. No "presumably" occurring. So then we do agree as I said;

Much ado about nothing atm. :)

An ado about nothing will keep it so. ;)

But yes, basically, we agree.

No, I don't. Lore is lore.

I acknowledged the extenuating circumstances around its inclusion, which is why I don't generally bring it up -- it appears it wasn't going to be included originally and only got put in when they suddenly needed another heavy, which means HBS's original plan was to stick to canon timeline info -- but I also see how it can make it look like HBS has fudged things already, which could lead to people seeing the ERML on the table and thinking it might happen again, and I never would want to dissuade someone from voicing their concerns.

Things seem to have reached an agreement, though.

No, I don't. Lore is lore.

I acknowledged the extenuating circumstances around its inclusion, which is why I don't generally bring it up -- it appears it wasn't going to be included originally and only got put in when they suddenly needed another heavy, which means HBS's original plan was to stick to canon timeline info -- but I also see how it can make it look like HBS has fudged things already, which could lead to people seeing the ERML on the table and thinking it might happen again, and I never would want to dissuade someone from voicing their concerns.

Things seem to have reached an agreement, though.
When we discuss lore preferences, my own is always initially and ever will be 100% lore adherence.
However there is preference and there is circumstance and reality. Personally though it might be an unpopular position I could have totally done without the K2 at all IMHO, though I certainly empathise with those who missed the other two chassis that saw the K2 included and respect the Devs for giving us something else instead and thus I'm at peace with it. It was a logical move welcomed by many and that's a valid reason for it.

As for the er-weapon on the list, it does to me seem quite a reach to call the K2 any kind of precedent for the purposes of rattling the sabers due to context.
I guess ymmv.

I know this is the internet but I would have hoped for a little more of a lean towards occams razor here. Copy paste idiosyncrasies in clerical circumstances are quite an ordinary occurrence and far more likely than the alternatives.

This tangent has indeed reached a semi equilibrium at the moment though I guess, and I've already shared my own opinion more than enough so I guess that's all there is to it for now

@Packrat I am NOT totally versed on all the lore(lol that's a huge understatement as I know enough to get in trouble talking about it) but why do you call the Catapult K2 an extinct mech in this time frame? According to Sarna the Catapult was a rare model after the 1st succession war and it wasn't till around 3033 that its production was restarted but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been examples around for us to fight and acquire. Lore wise I would personally say that as long as it was in production prior to 3025 when the game is set its fair game. I do agree with the criticism about the weapon being out of timeline but at the same time I can bend some in the name of fun gameplay. I would also point out that just cause it was shown doesn't mean we can actually get it with the expansion

It is impossible to exactly follow the lore, because the lore itself is inconsistant and highly retconned. Especially the older stuff.

I am not sure why anyone would lose any sleep over a little bending of the lore, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

It is impossible to exactly follow the lore, because the lore itself is inconsistant and highly retconned. Especially the older stuff.

I am not sure why anyone would lose any sleep over a little bending of the lore, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.
The best place to play with full Lore is of course... TT. Failing that use MegaMek.
BATTLETECH is neither. Nor should it be.

@scJazz and @Edmon, I agree.

Jordan's BATTLETECH trumps any-BattleTech that came before it in my opinion... even Jordan's BattleTech1.0.

Catalyst, while I am glad they bought into the franchise, is a distant second to me.

Jordan creates/refines/redifines BattleTech Lore as he goes along, IMO.

I know others feel differently and that is fine. But for me, there is no BattleTech authority before or above Jordan. : )

Just to bounce off what you said Prussian im pretty sure Paradox is looking to acquire the entire Battletech franchise which would save the other part of the license thats just rotting away from lack of developer interest. Just a theory though.

Just to bounce off what you said Prussian im pretty sure Paradox is looking to acquire the entire Battletech franchise which would save the other part of the license thats just rotting away from lack of developer interest. Just a theory though.
I had not heard anything about that, but I find that I am very much in support of it.

Which “other part of the license” are you referring?

Any acquisition of BattleTech computer game rights would likely clear a path toward a number of additional BattleTech games. And that would be MECHtastic! : )

Are there any hints of such a purchase in the press?

Total unsupported conjecture.

Believe me the forum would be insanely a- buzz if there was any such info. :D

Last edited:
As i said in the post but thanx for repeating it. Anyway, i was referring to the Catalyst part of the franchise. But just a theory i have based on past behavior with Paradox.
Not at all. No thanx necessary. :)
There is quite a gulf between the lead off "pretty sure" and the closing "just a theory though" that due to the confusion of the very next reply begged for some unambiguous consistent clarity. The replying party himself even requested it ;)
I had not heard anything about that, but I find that I am very much in support of it.

Which “other part of the license” are you referring?

Any acquisition of BattleTech computer game rights would likely clear a path toward a number of additional BattleTech games. And that would be MECHtastic! : )

Are there any hints of such a purchase in the press?

Anyway you're welcome sir :bow:
Never fear, I'm always here. :D