Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #7: Combat Units 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There have already been several abilities that are based on skill instead of tech: flanker, improved overwatch and evasive. Granting certain abilities on level up shouldn't be impossible, even if you don't have the as wide a range of options.

Sure, we do have them, my point is that in AoW3 we had way, way more, and that's kind of what you need when you're trying to give something cool to several hundred units when they level up. Plus, Evasive and Flanker can be given by mods, which means that we'd probably want to avoid giving them as level ups, since we don't really want those two systems to overlap.

Soon we'll be doing some dev diaries on the mod system, and hopefully we'll be able to convince you all that the cool toys it gives you for your units is more than enough to make up for the simplified level up system!

One thing you could do is, instead of adding new abilities for lvl ups, have better versions of existing abilities. For example an elite Bulwark would get +2 dmg or more accuracy for overwatch attacks only while the Lancer might get even more flanking dmg. Basically something that further emphasizes the units' existing role and strengths and only appears at elite rank as the pinnacle of that intent.

But I certainly understand if you don't want to clutter and/or over complicate the system.

Well, I keep messaging the artists telling them we need to add more beards to all the Dvar vehicles, but they're all ignoring me :(

One thing you could do is, instead of adding new abilities for lvl ups, have better versions of existing abilities. For example an elite Bulwark would get +2 dmg or more accuracy for overwatch attacks only while the Lancer might get even more flanking dmg. Basically something that further emphasizes the units' existing role and strengths and only appears at elite rank as the pinnacle of that intent.

But I certainly understand if you don't want to clutter and/or over complicate the system.

Yes - I like this idea. Hopefully it's something that can be implemented.

Looking forward to the mods journal- should be enlightening by the sounds of things =)

A level up might also give +1 modifier to a mod slot (ie if you equip Damage +2 on that slot, you actually get Damage +3, but only for the mod on that slot). Or 'Advanced Upgrade' on a mod slot, giving an ability originating from the mod an upgrade (Healing -> Greater Healing). Not everything crosslinks and works with each other, but I imagine a whole lot would/could.

That's a lot of shield value for so little buckler coverage. :p
She's just THAT good with it.
Maybe it's adjustable? She normally keeps the shield size small enough that it's not an inconvenience, but if she sees an attack coming, she can swerve so that her left side is facing the attack and expand the shield to be all-covering?

Given how bucklers are used in buckler & shield it's likely hold at arms length when in melee, which means the defensive 'shadow' the shield casts on the body is bigger.
For both melee and ranged fire I doubt the shield will be used as a static defence. I picture it more like a fast moving point defence. Again not unlike buckler & shield like fencing.

I think the Amazons will be my favorite faction. I was sceptic about the whole dinosaur idea, but this just looks awesome. One thing I noticed about these last 2 journals is that the basic tier 2 units have such a huge amount of traits and abilities. That, in combination with the mod system, makes me wonder if the total unit count in the game is going to be a lot less than AoW3.

And yeah, that last sentence was agonizing... next week´s journal will not be about the remaining factions´ T2´s.

Well, I keep messaging the artists telling them we need to add more beards to all the Dvar vehicles, but they're all ignoring me :(

Clearly there should be a painted beard and the lenght of the beard should increase with every promotion (I leave it to you wether it should also apply to vehicules). That would more than make up for the loss of abilities on promotion, although if an "inspiring beard", "fearsome beard" or "crawling on the floor beard" ability could sneak in the process I'm sure nobody would complain.

I think the Amazons will be my favorite faction. I was sceptic about the whole dinosaur idea, but this just looks awesome. One thing I noticed about these last 2 journals is that the basic tier 2 units have such a huge amount of traits and abilities. That, in combination with the mod system, makes me wonder if the total unit count in the game is going to be a lot less than AoW3.

And yeah, that last sentence was agonizing... next week´s journal will not be about the remaining factions´ T2´s.

I believe they have said there will be roughly 12 units per race, 2 of them being boats.

I
The Bulwark has twice as much armor as the Lancer! The Lancer has mostly shields, rather than armor.

But the main reason is simply balance. The bulwark is designed to stand at a distance and shoot everything that comes into range, so it gets a fairly normal amount of defense. The lancer is a close range unit that needs to really get into the middle of the enemy to be useful, if it wasn't as tanky as it is, then it would just die before it could really achieve anything.

Edit: Also, creatures like the arrowtail are usually given Armor in game, to represent hardened hides and things like that that resist damage.
But the Lancer has more HEALTH than this actual tank on legs! And both units are far faster! Seems like being super fast is all ya need to get into melee to do some damage! Dinos aint bullet proof, hell alligators were hunted with spears! bah its an insult to fine Dvar engineering, you may as well give a unit a sling shot with 20 damage because its gotta be balanced with the nuclear laser cannons of the other units, yer stretching how far belief can be suspended!
anyone riding a lizard with a spear against a mech with cannons deserves to die anyways, thats just plain foolishness. ITS THE EWOKS ALL OVER AGAIN, ITS THE EWOKS

There appears to be a confusion about how the unlimited overwatch works. Does the Bulwark shoot everyone in its danger area once (ie anyone storming it would probably be fine as it is probably being shot at at the longest distance of their journey towards the Bulwark) or does it shoot every time someone moves in a hex in their Overwatch zone (ie someone moving 3 hexes towards the tin can would get shot at thrice - once per hex transition, making it a formidable defender)?

The question arose from the weird feeling that the Mech is wee bit less beefy than the fast and unarmoured lizard barefoot cavalry and might be underpowered compared to other race's counterparts ("might" being a very, very, very dubious statement at this juncture of time).

There appears to be a confusion about how the unlimited overwatch works. Does the Bulwark shoot everyone in its danger area once (ie anyone storming it would probably be fine as it is probably being shot at at the longest distance of their journey towards the Bulwark) or does it shoot every time someone moves in a hex in their Overwatch zone (ie someone moving 3 hexes towards the tin can would get shot at thrice - once per hex transition, making it a formidable defender)?

The question arose from the weird feeling that the Mech is wee bit less beefy than the fast and unarmoured lizard barefoot cavalry and might be underpowered compared to other race's counterparts ("might" being a very, very, very dubious statement at this juncture of time).
I'm also wondering if being shot by an overwatch finishes your action, so if you try stepping 2 hexes and after 1 you get shot, you still lose the full action.
I really hope its the latter; otherwise it seems like any neanderthal on a lizard could run right up to it and beat it to death with that much speed and armor.

Also wondering just how effective it will be, seems easy to bait. LOS in age of wonders 3 could make some ranged shots basically useless; so you could just enter the Bulwarks "range" but do so behind cover, forcing the bulwark to shoot into cover. Not ideal at all

I may have missed it, but how will flanking work? The same as AoW3? If so, one change I would really like to see is the defender returning to their original facing after the flanking attack. I disliked the fact that a previously engaged unit could be manipulated into getting a flanking attack itself.