• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I second the proposals to reform the appointment of ministers, as I was not informed of nor had given my support to the appointment of Herr Meningen to the Cabinet.

Furthermore, I demand Herr Meningen to retract his policy initiatives until they have been sanctioned by both the Reichstag and the Cabinet.

As Chairman of the largest politcal party in the Reichstag and as Chancellor I do unilatetaly declare that the Social Democratic Workers' Union nor my Cabinet shall accept further backroom dealings by unconstructive political minorities and those lacking the constitutional and electoral legitimacy to obstruct the people's elected executive in the Cabinet.

The Chancellor

Reactions:
Herr von Bavel-Timmermans,

You have no legal grounds to unilaterally oppose the selection of Herr Meningen, as his predecessor was removed by a constitutional vote of no confidence. The constitution gave the right to select the replacement to Herr Meningen, who chose himself. He was confirmed in the new office by the President, who holds a veto over cabinet replacements, but no such confirmation was required from you.

You have the following options to contest this ruling, should you desire to do so:

1) Prevail upon the President to dissolve the Reichstag.
2) If the Minister fails to fulfill his office, you may remove him at any time.
3) You may suspend his appointment, provided you can get the proper support in the Reichstag. That would make you the Minister of War until the next general election.

The constitution may be, of course, amended in the next term. However, unless you use one of the options available to you, Herr Meningen will remain the legally confirmed Minister of War.

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

I wish to also express my disapproval at the notion that any member of the Reichstag may unilaterally appoint themselves to a cabinet position simply by putting forth a successful vote of no confidence against a minister. All government ministers, excluding the Chief of General Staff, should be appointed by the Chancellor and Reichspräsident, not just the latter, to best represent the German people. What is to stop some radical member of the Reichstag representing some minute segment of the population from constantly calling votes of no confidence in the hopes that dissent against the government is high enough that they can then use the vote to force themselves into government? It defeats the purpose of coalition negotiations and is open to abuse. While this is constitutional at the moment, I add my voice to the call for reforms targeted against this flaw.

- Eva von Vandenburg

Reactions:
I second the proposals to reform the appointment of ministers, as I was not informed of nor had given my support to the appointment of Herr Meningen to the Cabinet.

Furthermore, I demand Herr Meningen to retract his policy initiatives until they have been sanctioned by both the Reichstag and the Cabinet.

As Chairman of the largest politcal party in the Reichstag and as Chancellor I do unilatetaly declare that the Social Democratic Workers' Union nor my Cabinet shall accept further backroom dealings by unconstructive political minorities and those lacking the constitutional and electoral legitimacy to obstruct the people's elected executive in the Cabinet.

The Chancellor

Maybe you should have appointed a competent War Minister who remembered that he had to recruit soldiers.

((Since he does not hold an active position, yes, but remember that the Chief of the General Staff needs to pass a majority vote of the Assembly.))

As Herr Meningen has yet to fullfil his duties and has only spend his time abusing his position to illegitimately change government policy, I shall remove him from his function as Minister of War, as is my constitutional right. He may warmonger from opposition, as the German people nor their representatives want him in Government.

The Chancellor

The Supreme Court deems that a reasonable period was given to Herr Meningen to fulfill his constitutional duties, and that therefore the Chancellor is justified in exercising his authority. The Chancellor may replace Herr Meningen with another ((player)) member of the Reichstag or fulfill the office himself.

I shall fullfil the office myself with the council of the Undersecretaries for Army, Navy and Ammunition & Logistics for the forseeable future. I shall resign this office when a suitable replacement is found and agreed upon by the Reichstag. The expansion of the Armed Forces shall be halved and deployed wherever the General Staff deems necessary. The Ministry of War shall, with guidance of the General Staff, deliver a list of possible appointments to the position of Chief of the General Staff to the Reichspräsident and the Kanzler, after which the top choice shall be sent to the Reichstag for approval. Until the Reichstag has given formal approval for the next Chief of the General Staff, the First Deputy Chief of the General Staff, General Graf von Schlieffen, shall fullfil the duties of the Chief of Staff, thank you.

The Chancellor

((And now the update))

And now we see the Chancellor's true motives! Rather than attempting a reasonable compromise with the other parties, he wishes to extend his "reign" over yet another office. This is a blatant threat to the stability of our dear Republic -- a threat which I cannot abide. I call for a vote of no-confidence in the Chancellor!

~ K.F. von Hohenzollern

And now we see the Chancellor's true motives! Rather than attempting a reasonable compromise with the other parties, he wishes to extend his "reign" over yet another office. This is a blatant threat to the stability of our dear Republic -- a threat which I cannot abide. I call for a vote of no-confidence in the Chancellor!

~ K.F. von Hohenzollern

Here Here!

Herr Von Hohenzollern is still salty for the fact that he was fired for blatantly displaying political preferences while serving as Chief of the General Staff. I say to him only, accept the fact that there is no place for political opinion in the Armed Forces and move on, as he still undemocratically retains his seat for Nurnberg, where he is allowed to spout these uninformed opinions, while the People of Nurnberg remain voiceless.

Mr. Präsident of the Conclave, I move that the motion of the Stadholders of Nürnberg and Altmark is dismissed, as confidence votes are not in the purview of this House. Futhermore, I hope that you ask Herr Hohenzollern and Herr Altmark to retract the statements deemed unparliamentary in this seating of the Conclave of Stadtholders, as civility is the basis for constructive political discourse.

The Chancellor

Herr Von Hohenzollern is still salty for the fact that he was fired for blatantly displaying political preferences while serving as Chief of the General Staff. I say to him only, accept the fact that there is no place for political opinion in the Armed Forces and move on, as he still undemocratically retains his seat for Nurnberg, where he is allowed to spout these uninformed opinions, while the People of Nurnberg remain voiceless.

Mr. Präsident of the Conclave, I move that the motion of the Stadholders of Nürnberg and Altmark is dismissed, as confidence votes are not in the purview of this House. Futhermore, I hope that you ask Herr Hohenzollern and Herr Altmark to retract the statements deemed unparliamentary in this seating of the Conclave of Stadtholders, as civility is the basis for constructive political discourse.

The Chancellor

The Stadtholders of Nürnberg and Altmark have every right to call for such a motion, Mr Chancellor. Certainly the representative for Nürnberg. While the Stadtholder may be a hereditary office, I, the Assemblyman for Nürnberg, do support such a motion. The notion that the language of these two gentlemen is unfit for this house extends to you as well. Urban slang such as ''salty'' is not proper for this house and should as such not be used in this most honourable and decent assembly of representatives.

Wilhelm von H.

Your previous choice for Minister of War did nothing to the military in decades and yet I am removed for weighing the options for the position of Chief of General Staff for a few days. This is clearly a coup and the Chancellor is off his rocker. I second the call of No Confidence against this tyrant.

-Herr Meningen

~ K.F. von Hohenzollern
The Chancellor is a tyrant, and for the good of the Republic he should step down immediately. Such a man who usurps power of such a position as the minister of war should not hold any power whatsoever.

The vote of no-confidence in the Chancellor is now the top priority of both houses of the Reichstag. If he is removed from office, the Minister of the Interior will act as Interim Chancellor and may appoint whomever he likes as Minister of War. A majority vote of both houses is required. The Supreme Court recognizes the votes of Herr Meningen, Herr von Hohenzollern, the other Herr von Hohenzollern, Herr Runde, and Herr von Altmark.

To clarify: the law does not specify which house, if any, may initiate no confidence votes in the Chancellor or President. Therefore, two members of either house (or one from each house) may initiate proceedings.

I have, of course, confidence in my own government.

I wish to point out that I stand accused of fullfilling my constitutional duty by an unelected aristocrat, an unapologetic monarchist reactionary, a jingoistic pseudo-federalist and a facist, simply because I removed a Minister for 1) couping the Ministry of War through archaic rule, 2) changing the official policy of the Government without consultation, even with the officials at the Ministry of War and 3) because he then failed to fullfill the duties for which his predecessor was removed too.

Mr. Präsident, there is no doubt in my mind you have spot the hypocrisy in Herr von Meningen's statements with this new information; and to call me a tyrant for removing Herr Hohenzollern from office, is to misunderstand the structure and rules of the Armed Forces.

It is therefore that the SDAU opposes this motion in both Houses of the Reichstag.

The Chancellor

I have, of course, confidence in my own government.

I wish to point out that I stand accused of fullfilling my constitutional duty by an unelected aristocrat, an unapologetic monarchist reactionary, a jingoistic pseudo-federalist and a facist, simply because I removed a Minister for 1) couping the Ministry of War through archaic rule, 2) changing the official policy of the Government without consultation, even with the officials at the Ministry of War and 3) because he then failed to fullfill the duties for which his predecessor was removed too.

Mr. Präsident, there is no doubt in my mind you have spot the hypocrisy in Herr von Meningen's statements with this new information; and to call me a tyrant for removing Herr Hohenzollern from office, is to misunderstand the structure and rules of the Armed Forces.

It is therefore that the SDAU opposes this motion in both Houses of the Reichstag.

The Chancellor

You tolerated the previous minister doing nothing for decades and opposed his removal. Then you try to remove me for taking a few days to make a decision. I call that insanity.

The Stadtholder fails to address two of the three points I raised in favour of his removal, and only partly and untruthfully rejects the third. Mr. Präsident, I believe this discussion is finished.