• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #34 - Clarke Patch

Hello everyone! As you may have noticed, there was no Stellaris development diary this week, because the team has been extremely busy working on the first free patch for the game, which we have named Clarke. Clarke is currently undergoing internal QA testing, and we hope to have a beta version of the patch out for you before the end of the week. Therefore, we decided to do a dev diary after all, detailing some of the fixes, changes and improvements coming in the patch.

Please note that the highlights below are just highlights, NOT exhaustive patch notes!

UI IMPROVEMENTS
A major target area for Clarke was the UI, particularly in regards to sectors and diplomacy. A few highlights:

• Sectors can now be managed directly from the outliner.
    iXkAx0t.png

• Diplomatic Notifications are now much more detailed.
    MAvS38w.png

• End of Combat interface has received a major face-lift.
    VZz7pT8.png

• Habitability icons/tooltips now show you more detailed information, including which worlds in a system you can currently colonize.
    umRygrv.png

AI IMPROVEMENTS
Another major target area for Clarke was to address complaints regarding the AI, particular in sectors to sectors and warfare. A few highlights:
  • Greatly improved sector AI handling of pops, buildings, spaceports and mining stations.
  • Fixes for AI in end game crises.
  • Improvements and fixes to AI handling of its fleets.
  • Less restrictions on what the AI will trade and with who, especially in regards to border access.
  • In multiplayer, empires that are player-controlled will have a 'limited' AI for a period of 10 years if the player drops. The limited AI will not make any drastic changes to the empire, such as changing sectors, disbanding ships, declaring wars, etc, allowing a player to rejoin their empire pretty much as they left it.

We've also added a new option in galaxy setup where you can set the AI's overall aggressiveness.
VKhKVgi.png

EMPIRE BUILDER IMPROVEMENTS
We also took some time to add a pair of highly requested features to the empire builder. Namely, the ability to write a biography for your species and empire, and the ability to customize ruler titles. Ruler titles are customized separately by gender, and will remain even if you change government type, so long as the new government is of the same type as the previous one (so changing from a Monarchy to another Monarchy will not clear your ruler titles, while changing from a Monarchy to a Democracy will).
2BfuQux.png

HW7T33r.png

BALANCE CHANGES
While balance wasn't our main priority for Clarke, we nonetheless targeted a few major balance issues. A few highlights:
  • War score costs now scale to the size of your target, so you can take more planets from large empires but can't vassalize them in a single war.
  • The ability to stack evasion on Corvettes was nerfed.
  • Strike craft had their range substantially increased.
  • Ethics were rebalanced to make Xenophile/Xenophobe stronger picks, among other changes.
  • It is no longer necessary to control planets to demand them in war, but controlling planets that are set as wargoals are now worth more warscore.
  • Technology cost is now increased both by number of planets owned and size of population, instead of just population. Accordingly, the tech increase cost from population was lowered.

BUG FIXES
In addition to all this, Clarke naturally also includes dozens of fixes for bugs large and small. A few highlights:
  • Military Station maintenance is now correctly calculated (was far too high previously).
  • Numerous fixes to events, including fixing up the Old Gods event chain.
  • Fixed 'ghost' trade deal entries and trade deals silently failing when you traded above a certain percentage of your resource stockpiles.
  • Democracies that don't allow slavery will no longer get the Slaver mandate.
  • Difficulty settings are now available in multiplayer setup.

With Clarke almost finished, we're now switching over fully to working on the Asimov patch, as outlined in last week's dev diary. Where Clarke was mainly a fix and UI improvement patch, Asimov will target the midgame with new diplomatic features and event chains. More details about Asimov will be released in development diaries over the next few weeks, but if you have any questions about the Clarke patch, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Hi everyone!

That might sound silly, but can someone somewhere mention instruction on where/how to download/install the patch? I googled lots of blah-blah-blah on changes, but can't find how to update the game.

P.S. Yes, I'm old and dumb: since MOO1 I buy games not to read posts, search internet for hours, do the multiplayer, etc. Just to play the game.

P.P.S. Registered on the website just to get some help. Many thanks in advance.

That might sound silly, but can someone somewhere mention instruction on where/how to download/install the patch? I googled lots of blah-blah-blah on changes, but can't find how to update the game.
Steam will download it for you automatically.

It hasn't yet for me, so an independent host for the patch is always welcome.
Paradox don't do independent hosting for patches for their Steam-distribution-only games.

No. They used to have Steam and non-Steam versions of games (as recently as CK II). Since they went to Steam only for CK II and always for EU IV the only place to get patches has been through Steam.
Well, I've reinstalled Stellaris several times and set its update to the highest priority, whereas in the past I have never had this problem with Steam. I am not sure what else to do, except wait.

Well, I've reinstalled Stellaris several times and set its update to the highest priority, whereas in the past I have never had this problem with Steam. I am not sure what else to do, except wait.

The 1.1 patch has been out for over a week now, it should have dropped for everyone.
What makes you think that you are not on 1.1 right now?

Just to confirm: start Stellaris from your Steam client, and look at what version and checksum it displays in the Stellaris launcher. If it says version 1.1 and a checksum of ed47, you have a functioning installation of the latest version of Stellaris.

'Clarke update', really guys? Clarke?
You added a platypus and called it the 'Clarke' update.
PLEASE tell me this was an intentional joke. I've never in my life heard a reference to 'Clark Rubber'. This is a first.

'Clarke update', really guys? Clarke?
You added a platypus and called it the 'Clarke' update.
PLEASE tell me this was an intentional joke. I've never in my life heard a reference to 'Clark Rubber'. This is a first.

It's a reference to Arthur C. Clarke, one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, and the Platypus is the company mascot.

Reactions:
It's a reference to Arthur C. Clarke, one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, and the Platypus is the company mascot.
Ah, didn't make the Arthur C. Clarke connection, but I did know about the platypus being the company mascot.
Thanks for clearing that up, but I still like to think it's a Clark Rubber reference :p

Reactions:
Well I expected a just simple nerf and balance patch like CK2 :p

But atleast this patch fix population able to mine special resources not being overwriten by buildings.
Brought out some nifty fun :)

Fallen Empires are a bit more proactive when facing mid game civilisations.

AI is acting stupid on normal :( while on insane they are ok. but it is hard to create a universe with a couple of custom races near you !
What I really would like is for Paradox to finish the Ruler to Leader to Population system instead of recruiting leaders from random air. making each population unique.
But failing that can you please fix the custom ruler if lost in a election (cause of lack of influence) she atleast rotates to a leader position or pool ? instead of just bye bye gone forever.
And also fix Human Female 04 custom leader. cause of default revert to Female 01 and the hair types being unavailable on 01 it reverts them on load again back to somebody else.

More events other then science vessel events next patch please ! and more shiptypes.

Make Assault armies able to seize stations ! am not using them at all now. make upkeep cheaper and let players use them on station seizing and defending.
So you can seize stations and other stuff with the transport fleet if they risk the fire LOL