• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well I followed the steps on the wiki. But there is no .anim file created when I export. Only .mesh, .asset, and .gfx succesfully created.
I added attributes on the root joint using PdxExporter.
Now this part isn't thoroughly explained in the wiki.

Reactions:
Well I followed the steps on the wiki. But there is no .anim file created when I export. Only .mesh, .asset, and .gfx succesfully created.
Same situation. I tried to add attributes to root joint and all bones, however exporter says that there is no any animation.

Well, I just messed up the portrait selection screen. I tried copy .mesh file and change it to .anim. Follow throught with portrait and species .txt
And my race selection screen got messed up with double portrait of the originals. Had to revert.

Well, I just messed up the portrait selection screen. I tried copy .mesh file and change it to .anim. Follow throught with portrait and species .txt
And my race selection screen got messed up with double portrait of the originals. Had to revert.
I believe that something must appear in "Select animations to export" in plugin window when it comes to correct export. Although, no matter what I do, animation selection box is always empty. Its in Paradox style, really.

I believe that something must appear in "Select animations to export" in plugin window when it comes to correct export. Although, no matter what I do, animation selection box is always empty. Its in Paradox style, really.

You need to have the root joint with the animations in the scene root. If you have the root joint in a group it won't work. Please try to move it or describe how your scene looks!

Reactions:
Eh, it finally exported .anim file properly. I just realized I didn't name my base joint properly.
After renamed it as 'root' now it worked!
Thanks K-vald.

I'm going to set this up now. I'll post here if I encounter problem within the game.
Edit:
Question. What this lines do within.gfx?
meshsettings = {
name = "pPlaneShape1"
index = 0
texture_diffuse = "Xenoplankton.dds"
shader = "PdxMeshPortrait"
}

meshsettings = {
name = "bodyShape"
index = 0
}

meshsettings = {
name = "eyesShape"
index = 0
}

meshsettings = {
name = "orbitShape1"
index = 0
}
When I compare it with other original .gfx files, they don't have those entries.
Can I delete them? Or keep it?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Okay I got a problem now. My portrait doesn't show up in game and instead it uses human .dds
I created my own category within 00_species_classes.txt
CUS = {
portraits = {
"cus1"
}

graphical_culture = fungoid_01
move_pop_sound_effect = "fungoid_pops_move"
}

And this is what I did in 00_portrait.txt. I added them after Human lines.
# Custom
cus1 = { entity = "portrait_xenoplankton_entity" clothes_selector = "no_texture" hair_selector = "no_texture" greeting_sound = "fungoid_01_greetings"
character_textures = {
"gfx/models/portraits/custom/Xenoplankton.dds"
}
}

What did I do wrong or missing?
Also how to correctly name the species category name in game without having it just showing CUS?

You need to have the root joint with the animations in the scene root. If you have the root joint in a group it won't work. Please try to move it or describe how your scene looks!
Exploring the original skeletons with JoroDox tool I have noticed that the main bone is always Root (soldier, ship, bear - they all have the "root" on top), so generally I already knew about it. However, I still did not manage to export any animation, although Mesh exporting goes well. I am attaching the screenshot of the Hierarchy and animation curves in the Graph Editor, maybe you can see what I am doing wrong. At this stage I do not have any clue what is wrong in the animation.

d43d6e59b861.png

Reactions:

I am having almost the same problem. In my case, I don't really understand the wiki tutorial part where it says "You need to set a state for each animation start. And a none state for where each animation ends". The only state my parameter have is planet_rotation and I don't even know where I rename it.

I am having almost the same problem. In my case, I don't really understand the wiki tutorial part where it says "You need to set a state for each animation start. And a none state for where each animation ends". The only state my parameter have is planet_rotation and I don't even know where I rename it.
This is what I did eventually. You need to edit Clausewitz.txt first within Documents\Paradox Interactive\PdxExporter\settings directory
You can use my edit.
[terra] <- or whatever you use / named
animation s 8 "none" "planet_rotation" "idle" "death" "happy" "happy2" "sad" "sad2"
material s 13 "PdxMeshShip" "PdxMeshTerra" "PdxMeshPlanet" "PdxMeshStar" "PdxMeshAtmosphere" "PdxMeshClouds" "PdxMeshFleetTypeIndicator" "PdxMeshAlphaAdditive" "PdxMeshTextureAtlas" "PdxMeshAlphaBlend" "PdxMeshPortrait" "PdxMeshPortraitClothes" "PdxMeshPortraitHair"
Note: I added "PdxMeshPortrait" "PdxMeshPortraitClothes" "PdxMeshPortraitHair" as wiki instructed. You need to put this into the material (use phong, not lambert).

End and none state in my understanding is the animation frame numbers and you need a "rest" or initial keys in the beginning and ending for it to loop or blend. But I'm still experimenting with this, so it may not be correct.
Another meaning is, key the parameter at "none" during before the start of the animation. Then key "happy" during animation . after animation completed, key "none" again. Do this with another animation set, but use "happy2" during animation. Haven't tried this method yet. But this will yield similiar animation graph as the wiki. Use Step Tangent key on root joint.

If everything well, select root joint and open exporter. Hit refresh button so animation list will be shown. Then select which animation you want to export and click export after you set up the directory you want it to export. For example Steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/gfx/models/portrait/[either one of the existing or make your own directory]/

If all goes well .anim files will be created.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is what I did eventually. You need to edit Clausewitz.txt first within Documents\Paradox Interactive\PdxExporter\settings directory
You can use my edit.

Note: I added "PdxMeshPortrait" "PdxMeshPortraitClothes" "PdxMeshPortraitHair" as wiki instructed. You need to put this into the material (use phong, not lambert).

End and none state in my understanding is the animation frame numbers and you need a "rest" or initial keys in the beginning and ending for it to loop or blend. But I'm still experimenting with this, so it may not be correct.
Another meaning is, key the parameter at "none" during before the start of the animation. Then key "happy" during animation . after animation completed, key "none" again. Do this with another animation set, but use "happy2" during animation. Haven't tried this method yet. But this will yield similiar animation graph as the wiki. Use Step Tangent key on root joint.

If everything well, select root joint and open exporter. Hit refresh button so animation list will be shown. Then select which animation you want to export and click export after you set up the directory you want it to export. For example Steam/steamapps/common/stellaris/gfx/models/portrait/[either one of the existing or make your own directory]/

If all goes well .anim files will be created.

Thank you! It was exactly what I needed. I think I'll add it up to the Wiki Tutorial later, since this is a more detailed process and I think the main tutorial of any thing should be as specific as possible.

Reactions:
I still have little success having it appear in game though. The problem still lies in incorrect entry within 00_species_classes.txt and 00_potrait.txt entries that I added in.
Or the problem could be from which X Y Z axis the mesh should've been facing in Maya as the front.

Would appreciate if someone can share their entries in those .txt files to make it work!

Also I got this error during exporting
// Error: line 1: No dagPose found on the selected objects. //

Last edited:
// Error: line 1: No dagPose found on the selected objects. //
Also I got this error during exporting
Found the solution. If any of you encounter this problem during export. Select root joint and run this script in phyton command.
cmds.dagPose( save=True, selection=True, name='mypose' )

EDIT: Well sometime it works, most of the time its not

Last edited:
I would also appreciate a more thorough tutorial for this (portrait modding in particular). I've followed it all the way through to the Maya section (so, just the art part :rolleyes:), but I get hung up on both the creating the skeleton bit that they mention so off-handedly, and then following that how to assign the texture to the diffuse channel of the Phong shader. I suspect I'll get hung up on further steps, too, so a more in-depth tutorial would be excellent. Haven't found any in my travels, yet! If I find any, I'll link them here.

I would also appreciate a more thorough tutorial for this (portrait modding in particular). I've followed it all the way through to the Maya section (so, just the art part :rolleyes:), but I get hung up on both the creating the skeleton bit that they mention so off-handedly, and then following that how to assign the texture to the diffuse channel of the Phong shader. I suspect I'll get hung up on further steps, too, so a more in-depth tutorial would be excellent. Haven't found any in my travels, yet! If I find any, I'll link them here.

Yeah the tutorial is definitely more aimed at people already experienced with Maya. I plan to go through it and make it more understandable for non-Maya natives.