Hearts of Iron IV - 47th Development Diary - 4th of March 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can you tell us anything what that means for the Pacific war?

hmmm Mao an actual general too? wonder if that will give him any boost as actual leader to commie china through experience? does that mean he could die in battle if his army gets surrounded and wiped out? i can also see a russian bear bearing bad news

cBvFtB6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Mao got Manchuria mostly because Stalin handed it to him after smashing Kwantung Army.
If Russia goes democratic or fascist, and is successful in war against Japan, will it get the option to hand Manchuria over to Nationalists, or even annex it for itself?

The Soviets handed Manchuria over to the KMT per treaty terms. In some areas the Communists moved in as the Soviets moved out, but that's mainly due to KMT ineptitude. For much of it, most notably Changchun , they had to fight.

The Soviets had put serious time and effort into building relations with the Nationalists and hedged their bets until after the proclamation of the PRC in 1949.

Reactions:
So they don't have an idea tree like the western powers ?

hmmm Mao an actual general too? wonder if that will give him any boost as actual leader to commie china? does that mean he could die in battle if his army gets surrounded and wiped out? i can also see a russian bear bearing bad news

cBvFtB6.jpg

I don't think Generals can die.

So they don't have an idea tree like the western powers ?

Or like the Japanese. Seems like an obvious avenue for DLC though.

Reactions:
related question: are China, the actual real country, gonna be ok with this game? I think millions of Chinese students would love this game.

Reactions:
The Soviets handed Manchuria over to the KMT per treaty terms. In some areas the Communists moved in as the Soviets moved out, but that's mainly due to KMT ineptitude. For much of it, most notably Changchun , they had to fight.

There were home-grown communists in fairly strong numbers to welcome them, though. The Manchu government had only just put down the last major uprising at the time of the game's start.

related question: are China, the actual real country, gonna be ok with this game? I think millions of Chinese students would love this game.

not sure, there tends to be problems with us representing tibet as a separate nation

Reactions:
China is always a rather difficult beast for Hearts of Iron games, still we have put on our thinking cap and seen what we can do to at least make things better.
Thanks for filling in and giving us an informative DD. :)

Next week :) got a really nasty cold so I'm home watching Sharknado 3 instead :eek:
I feel your pain. I've been out for a couple of days with the nasty cold going around my office. How is Sharknado 3? I haven't seen the sequels, but the original was fun.

Thanks for the DD. I suppose, this was the best that could be done, considering how politically complicated the China theatre was at this time.
I do, also, like that it won't be so easy for Japan to defeat China. However, there should be some option/decision that allows for variation from the historical here - Japan does things differently, that would allow for a possible defeat, at the expense of being able to attack USA/SE Asia so easily in '41, IMHO.

There were home-grown communists in fairly strong numbers to welcome them, though. The Manchu government had only just put down the last major uprising at the time of the game's start.
That happened in Northern China actrually,most communists in Manchuria retreated to Siberia at the beginning of the game(it was a nightmare to fight guerrilla war in Manchurian chilly winter).

But what about the totally independent State of Manchuko that had total independence for sure????

What about it? The communist collapse? Yeah, it'd probably have happened even without the Russian intervention if Japan got defeated in the war. Enough old cells still there that the communists would've had a real head start over the KMT when they both rushed to grab it all.

That happened in Northern China actrually,most communists in Manchuria retreated to Siberia at the beginning of the game(it was a nightmare to fight guerrilla war in Manchurian chilly winter).

Most of them did, yes. Still left a few thousand behind. Had all sorts of problems going on internally with the White Russians getting into endless fights with the communists and Jewish immigrants. Not massive numbers, but pretty much exactly in line with Mao's standard attack strategy.

But what about the totally independent State of Manchuko that had total independence for sure????

if by totally independent you mean run by the japanese military then absolutely

Reactions:
not sure, there tends to be problems with us representing tibet as a separate nation

And the the fact manchuria and taiwan are not represented as occupied by Japan but as part of japan.

Fragmentation of the Chinese Unity (warlords, tibet, etc.) and depiction of japanese occupation were the 2 main items that made the Chinese Ministry of Culture ban HOI1

Reactions: