Hearts of Iron IV - 46th Development Diary - 26th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LwBVdD5.jpg

Sorry, but that tree just looks so wrong. I propose that you remove the FT-17, replace the Vickers II with the Light Tank Mk VI, and then move the Vickers II to take the FT-17's spot.

Reactions:
Might be seen as nitpicking but is there any way to change the name of the democratic party from Conservative Party to National Coalition after war breaks out? I mean, the cabinet remained Conservative dominated, but some of the most influential members of that cabinet (Attlee, Bevin, Anderson) weren't Tories, and neither were a lot of the short term junior ministers either, being either Liberal or Labour. It's just a cosmetic thing but it's a bit jarring.

Reactions:
Unless I am mistaken...All units share the same stats country to country. The names may be different but the only thing that will change are the names and if you make a variant. The base ones will be the same for all countries.

I know how it is designed now, but would be interesting what we can do/ mod out of this.
As a WW2 strategic and detail lover nerd, my eyes are burning, when I see a "Typhoon" has same stats as "Ju-87 Stuka" :rolleyes:
I don't expect it for release or to be done by pdox, but would be outstanding if there's the possibility to do it ourself.

Reactions:
I thought the Matilda was a heavy tank? (for its time)
The Matilda (note, the Matilda, not the Matilda II) was an infantry support tank weighing 10 or so tons and only having machine guns for armament. It had ridiculous armor for its time (as did the Matilda II later), but this was offset by it going less than 10 km/h (the thought was "its there to support the infantry, so it'll just move at a walking pace").

I probably wouldn't have called it a light tank though :)

Reactions:
Curious if British Union of Fascists grow in popularity, since they were pretty popular until the British government banned them.
Popular by what measure? They never won a single election. Claimed 50,000 members (which was tiny compared to the main political parties) in 1933, but in later years it was below 20,000. Despite receiving cash from the Nazis it was only banned in 1940.

Reactions:
The seperation of the heavy fighter / tac bomber trees is quite artificial. It makes for a schematic tech tree just using weapon labels.
Esp. for Beaufighter / Beaufort, as well for the 2 Mosquito variants. Those pairs had more in common than Blenheim/ Beaufighter, Wellington/Beaufort.

From Wiki: "In general — apart from powerplants — the differences between the Beaufort and Beaufighter were minor."

So, why do I first have to *research* the Blenheim to get to the Beaufighter?

The Matilda (note, the Matilda, not the Matilda II) was an infantry support tank weighing 10 or so tons and only having machine guns for armament. It had ridiculous armor for its time (as did the Matilda II later), but this was offset by it going less than 10 km/h (the thought was "its there to support the infantry, so it'll just move at a walking pace").

I probably wouldn't have called it a light tank though :)

But the picture is definately a Matilda II

Reactions:
I love playing as the UK in HoI. It's like being the US expect that you actually have to make choices.

The tank tree does look a bit weird, but then the British ideas about tank design aren't ever going to fit very well into that more German/Russian/US tree. Something like the Matildas are always going to be a problem to fit into the tree. The only thing I would really question is why is the FT-17 the starting tank? Isn't that a French design and the British have more then enough WWI and post WWI era tank designs not to have the FT-17. I mean you avoided added the Sherman to the tree to show purely British designed tanks instead so.

No Axis joining tree? Damn :(

Curious if British Union of Fascists grow in popularity, since they were pretty popular until the British government banned them. If you could have an option to not ban them and see them spiral out of control, that would be cool.

I'd be surprised if you could show some evidence that the BUF was ever close to being popular.

Reactions:
Not to nitpick, but doesn't King George V die pretty much instantly in the game timeline? I hope you have another spirit lined up :)

Or perhaps the possibility of picking between George and Edward?

Why they called such slow tank a "Black Prince"? "Hey, this guy was known for his quick raids of chevauchee on French lands and great army maneuvers. Lets call the slowest shit we have after him."

Reactions:
I'm 95% sure that the national spirit pertains to George VI and not George V. Look at the middle national spirit picture. That is George VI.

Second, beautiful organization and structure of this DD. I would kill for all the other country DDs to have been set up this well. It does a great job explaining the national focuses, their purpose, and does not cut off the national focus tree. Very nicely done.

Last edited:
Or perhaps the possibility of picking between George and Edward?

How or why would you get to pick who becomes King? The line of succession is clear and there wouldn't be enough time before George V dies to change it. Plus I really liked the event line that get's George VI crowned in earlier HoI games. It was another barrier to developing an effective war machine for the player with hindsight that war was coming before the war broke out.