• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Henri was furious! His plan failed and Marti was only wounded. But this was an oportunity, an oportunity he could no pass up. He just needed to talk with some old "friends"... If everything went smooth Prince Marti would soon leave this world.

((Attempting another murder on Marti. Go big or go home!))

Henri was furious! His plan failed and Marti was only wounded. But this was an oportunity, an oportunity he could no pass up. He just needed to talk with some old "friends"... If everything went smooth Prince Marti would soon leave this world.

((Attempting another murder on Marti. Go big or go home!))

((Well the rolls weren't quite as good this time. You still failed to kill Marti and you were caught in the attempt. Since you've told me in the IRC that you will not resist arrest, you have been imprisoned in the dungeons. You will be put to trial with the Small Council deciding your fate. Seeing as you were caught in the act, they may go ahead and decide your fate.

Henri de Saint-Pierre's Punishment: Mercy/Fine/Imprisonment/Execution/Abstain

Note, only the Small Council will participate in this vote, so only @ThePatriotOfDreumel, @hirahammad, @AvatarOfKhaine, @Luftwafer and a royal or two can vote. I'll leave it open until Tuesday at 12pm PST to tie up with the other vote, but may be forced to extend it if not enough people vote.))

If we let these Satan worshipper practice their cult, then what is next? Heathens? It is a slippery slippery slope, and Hispania is teetering on the edge, it only takes a Satanic shove to push us into Hell.

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: No
Crown Recognition of Reformed: No

(Grand admiral, admiral, Duke, Count, Cortz, 3 provinces)

Execution for Saint-Perre

Your Imperial Majesty Manuel, You of course raise a point, speaking of the empire's history. Yet I do see it very differently. There was rebellion, there was a civil war, as you said because of the forced conversion of the people. Had the empire used a policy of tolerance, this would maybe not have escalated. Over time, as the Great Schism was mended, the people would have slowly embraced Catholicism, as the Orthodox faith would have lost its legitimacy. It didn't need violence back then, it does not now.
Lady Sastre, I am deeply ashamed in your lack of... well, I can't find a better word than faith... in the nobility. Our class has to provide protection, and as Chamberlain, I have to fend for our rights. My father's ideals may not be so close to the truth, but at least from my own experience, I can say that the nobility does not oppress the people, but takes its just dues for the protection given. And I cannot protect anyone if I have to burn him.

((For future reference, does the Chamberlain get involved in trials? Against the nobility, he should be.))

Crown Recognition of Protestantism: Yes
Crown Recognition of Reformed: Yes

Imprisonment for Henri de Saint-Pierre.

[Courtier, Merchant, Treasurer, Monopoly VP]

As Henri leared about Jan Pieterszoon van Antwerpen's vote he writes a short letter to the man
"Consider yourself fired from TATC
H S-P"
I change my vote from Imprisonment to fine.

((Given that he's a known attempted murderer, couldn't you just attempt a takeover of the company?))
((Meh.))

News of the assassination filters to Rome

To the court:

We now have full proof of what I suspected: that the Protestant sympathizers are attempting to destroy the royal family, root ad branch. If you vote to tolerate heresy then expect more of the same until Aragon is transformed into a decadent republic ruled by merchants. As if you needed more proof the Jewish-controlled merchant clique is voting to merely fine the perverted assassin!

-Cardinal Velazquez

News of the assassination filters to Rome

To the court:

We now have full proof of what I suspected: that the Protestant sympathizers are attempting to destroy the royal family, root ad branch. If you vote to tolerate heresy then expect more of the same until Aragon is transformed into a decadent republic ruled by merchants. As if you needed more proof the Jewish-controlled merchant clique is voting to merely fine the perverted assassin!

-Cardinal Velazquez
This isn't because I hate Aragon, this is because I have an entire family to provide for. The vast majority of my income comes from my job at the TATC and I barely make enough money to sustain my family. I hope you understand.

- Jan Pieterszoon van Antwerpen

Reactions:
Count de Alvaro walkes into the court chamber, supported by his son and a cane.
He begins to speak, his voice and mind as clear and powerful as always.

"Have you seen what have become of us? We drive this country to the brink. We must make peace with ourselves and cast aside old hatreds!
We need to unite as one, and guide our great nation to new heights and spread the word of God, because all christians say the same name, and pray to the same God.
It is not because God we fight, but we rather fight against our fellow man, just because we do not interpret His teachins the same way. But in our hour of need we all still pray to the same God.
Let us unite and bring the light of God to the true heathens across our shores."

And with that he turned around and walked out.

Prince Marti was awoken from his troubled slumber by a scuffle outside his chamber. He tried to rise from his bed, but the wound at his side ached and he slumped back down. The fighting ended quickly enough and a sweaty guard entered his chambers, huffing for breath.

"What the devil was going on out there?"

"Assassins, Your Highness," the guard said. "I believe they were sent to kill you. Me and my fellow guards caught them though."

Marti finally forced himself from his bed at that. Blood seeped at his bandages, but he ignored them. He grabbed a cane beside his bed and hobbled out into the hallway. Two men were down on their knees with swords pointed at their necks. One had a large gash above his right eye and seemed on the verge of fainting from blood loss. The other seemed less hurt, although fear was clear on his face. The prince would use that to his advantage.

"Who sent you?" Marti demanded, a menacing scowl on his face.

"I-I-I don't know, sir," the man stuttered.

Marti smacked him in the side of the head with his cane. "Who sent you? I won't ask again."

"I can't say," the assassin said.

"You can't or you won't?"

The assassin gulped and looked down at the floor. Marti leaned closer and whispered in his ear, "Either you tell me who sent you or I will have your entire family hunted down and executed."

The assassin looked into Marti's eyes. The prince was more than serious. He would do it. He was far beyond caring what some peasants thought of him at this point. He wanted revenge.

When the man seemed hesitant to respond, Marti grabbed a knife from one of the guards and moved as if to stab him. That assassin cracked then and blurted out, "It was Saint-Pierre. Henri hired us."

"Good choice. Lock them up." Marti handed the knife back to guard and hobbled back towards the door. He sat down on his bed and clutched at his aching side. The bandages needed to be replaced, but first he had a letter to send to court. He had a score to settle.

((Public letter to all members of court))

Assassins were captured trying to take my life, the second time recently. After some brief interrogation, they revealed their paymaster: Henri de Saint-Pierre. No doubt word has reached you by now of his crime and he hopefully is rotting in prison. That is not good enough for him. Surely if he is guilty of this attempt, then it seems very likely he was responsible for the attack that ended with me gravely wounded. The man must be punished without remorse. As Chancellor and a member of the Small Council, I demand he be executed. No one attempts to take my life and lives.

- Prince Marti de Trastámara

((If it's not clear, Marti is voting for Henri to be executed. I'll try to have something written up for Pere later.))

((For future reference, does the Chamberlain get involved in trials? Against the nobility, he should be.))

((No, the Chamberlain is not considered part of the Small Council, since he serves more as a representative like the viceroys. Perhaps he should for nobles, but our administrative reforms included a clause stating that the Small Council judges all crimes. You're always free to suggest a reform for the Cortz and Chamberlain to judge nobles, but it'd have to come after the next update.))

((private))

Someone had tried again, and failed. Amazing. It showed no one could go before their ordained time. This time, my suspicions are confirmed. Henri of the TATC was behind these attacks. Attempted murder would get you an execution, if this was a fair trial. But it isn't. Henri has already forced someone to change from the already merciful verdict of imprisonment to a fine. A fine, for twice attempted murder against a Prince. If this was a real trial, Henri would stand no chance, but it seemed as if he might escape. However, it was fortunately unlikely, and I am certain justice will l prevail.

((public))
Santoros Abu Hashem, Grandmaster, votes to execute Henri de Saint-Pierre, for attempted murder, and treason.

Last edited:
Memories of the joust flooded through Pere's mind as he considered the fate of Henri de Saint-Pierre. He already had the blood of one man on his hands; could he handle another? Henri was surely guilty, of attempting to kill Pere's great-uncle no less, but condemning a man to death was a nasty business. Just as nasty as this whole religious debate. Pere had stayed out of it, for he felt he was to inexperienced in matters of faith to dive into the debate. This was not something he could avoid. After another moment's thought, he made his decision.

Hispania has been plagued with many troubles recently. Just as Catholics argue with Protestants and their ilk, we then see attempted murder. Perhaps this attack is completely unrelated to religion, but it can be used an example. These heretics expect us faithful Catholics to crush them beneath our heels simply because they believe us corrupt and wicked. Let us prove them wrong. Our faith speaks of love for our fellow man, so let us show that by sparing a man from the executioner's block who may have indeed made a poor decision. A man can change, and perhaps some time spent in contemplation can achieve that. Let those who are faithful show these heretics that we are full of love and our path is righteous through example. Thus I ask for Henri de Saint-Pierre to be imprisoned for his crimes, so that he may dwell on what he has done and be reborn a better man.

- Prince Pere de Trastámara

((Pere is voting to imprison Henri. I also wish to clarify that the execution punishment requires a clear majority to pass, so if it does not have more votes than all other options combined, the punishment will be downgraded to imprisonment. VP also does not apply here, so everyone's vote is equal.

While I'm posting this, I wish to announce that I'm extending the voting deadline to Wednesday at 12pm PST. Work has thrown a wrench into my plans, along with homework, so I doubt I'll have time to do a proper playthough or update tomorrow. More time to debate over religion. The vote and points I've been assigning for IC are very close, so it could still go either way. ;)))

I believe that death at this moment would condemn this man to a terrible fate in hell, this is morally unjust. But the man also cannot be allowed to try this abhorrent act again. He must be imprisoned and so I say that imprisonment should be the sentence.

Niccolo Limmona walked into the court and made a speech on the matter of tolerance, something he was very proud of:

Tolerance is the way forward, and what's more. Christ himself was tolerant of all, and as good Christians we should endeavour to follow in his steps and "love thy neighbour as thy love thyself" and this is how we should treat all other Christians as Christians first and foremost. Have we ever had any heretic insurrections? Have they ever rebelled against his Majesty and any of the predecessors? No, instead it was "loyal" and "true" Catholics who have caused the most trouble for our great and benevolent kingdom. Was the bastard of centuries prior a heretic or a Catholic? Did his loyalty to the Pope prevent him from trying to tear our kingdom apart? Was it not intolerance of the Orthodox that lead to envious and power hungry Greek nobles to utilise their persecution into their armies when they rebelled?

Tolerance will not solve all our problems, but it will solve some. God does not actively guide anyone least of all men. Morever did Christ or the Archangels and Seraphim above ever discuss the results of the Ecumenical Councils of Nikaea? Who is to say that a future council of the faith would not retroactively call us heretics, would God cast us and all prior Christians to this theoretical convent to Hell? God knows his own, and everyone that follows Christ and the Father are Christians, even if they spurn the Pontifex Maximus.

I will now read some passages from my personal Bible, and you may see that they advocate tolerance as a means of persuasion to the true faith, not persecution.

Luke 9:49-50 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."
Luke 9:52-56: "...they did not receive him...And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village."
John 4:7-27: "There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink...Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water...Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father...And upon this came his disciples, and marveled that he talked with the woman..."
Ephesians 4:2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love
Romans 14:1-4 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

As you can see, these verses, from both Testaments all proclaim tolerance even for those who are different, with many proclaiming that the only requirement for heavenly salvation is that one follows Christ in words and deeds. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that one is a sinner or doomed to damnation if one does not follow the Pontifex Maximus.

JpsioAG.png

Taking the life of another man is no easy decision. Half the Small Council asks for an execution, while the other half seeks imprisonment or a fine for the accused. With no clear option, the accused, Henri de Saint-Pierre, shall be imprisoned. May he find absolution in the dungeons.

- His Majesty, Ferran IV de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks & the Knights

((The entire Small Council voted, and despite execution having half the votes, it requires a clear majority (over half of all votes) to pass, so it got downgraded to imprisonment. 05 will be locked up for roughly ten years and have his VP halved, although he can still vote.))