• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Was just looking at the map and how big it is with India, and wondered how people felt about it. Good? Bad? Neutral?
Playing as an Indian ruler is boring in my opinion. Forming a norse state in India, on the other side, isn't that bad.

Although maybe overused

Instead of adding it to CK2, Paradox should have made a whole India game set in the early modern period. In the three main start dates India just consists of native states, not particularly interesting just like central Europe or France. When Islam enters the mix there's more contrast and conflict, but the late start-dates don't work very well in general. If there was an India game starting with the arrival of Vasco da Gama (with Babur soon to arrive from the north) and running until 1857, there would be far, far more interesting conflicts and dynamics going on.

Yes i look at it as a place to conquer or to cause those p3sky arabs and mongols problems. In my viking playthrough they grew pertty large and pushed out into arabia to compete against the hoards and arabs.

I can't say I find it particularly interesting despite having RoI. It just feels so...cramped. Hell, I find it more interesting to play as a ruler on the border to India in Persia/Afghanistan and conquer my way over there. There's some interesting events for playing as Vedic religions from what I've seen though.

I've played as an indian.

once.

it was fun at first, scheming my way up from a county, making it up to a duchy; then forcing crown law changes; then grabbing the kingdom...subjugate the nearest neighbour.

and then you spend the next 200-300 years forging claims, playing marriage intrigue and grinding your teeth with boredom. After that, you get to play hindus without elective for a few more centuries to holy war the muslims down to 0 religious authority and breaking ALL the truces. Then the game is over and you don't even.

Found it WAAAAAAAAY to hard to expand within an indian realm, primarily because the subjugate is limited to only the same culture, and india has about 10-12 different cultures; so you are lucky as all get out if you have 2 kingdoms the same culture. The Buddhists had great advantages; and going buddhist allowed you the +1 health boost form one of the branches, which was great; but meh.

I like India but the gameplay is so restrictive and the events are limited and boring. It needs as much depth and attention the european gameplay has gotten to provide OPTIONS in how to rule and how to expand if need.

Expanding in India is so rote.

It was very well done and I like the Indian religions. I've only played one game as the Tamil Cholas which ended in an event troop disaster but until then it was very fun and I'll be sure to try them again at some point.

Hinduism is fun when you can choose a patron god, I always go with Shakti - fertility cults ftw :cool:

The release of the DLC was one of the best, very good balance and there was only one major bug that was fixed very soon. RoI set reasonable goals and met them, that was a good change after the mediocre Sons of Abraham.

All I would really ask for is an easy way to become Christian. It would be good if India's diplomatic range would be extended to Socotra, so you can convert to Nestorianism.

One of my favorite additions I love playing in the region just next to India and have always wanted it as a region of potential conquest.

Yeah I've never really played in India. In fact the only game I've committed to India is when I turned around as the Mongols having conquered Persia, and invaded India.

Now if there was some proper trading/economy mechanics, well then India's great because that's the Silk Road right there....

Boooring.

Didn't think much about it until I started a game with the Lanka kingdom. It's fun.

It's... amusing until you get to about 2-3 kingdom size... After that, it slows down to a grind, at least did for me.

As for patron deity, Kali Mah, Kali Mah, Kali Mah Shakti Day...

NOT the best place in the world to try out creating a custom empire, by the way.

Instead of adding it to CK2, Paradox should have made a whole India game set in the early modern period. In the three main start dates India just consists of native states, not particularly interesting just like central Europe or France. When Islam enters the mix there's more contrast and conflict, but the late start-dates don't work very well in general. If there was an India game starting with the arrival of Vasco da Gama (with Babur soon to arrive from the north) and running until 1857, there would be far, far more interesting conflicts and dynamics going on.

No. An Indian game wouldn't sell very well.

And India is important for CK2, because Muslims often tried to inave into India. Without India especially Persia is very bad represented.

I really enjoy ROI(my. no 2 dlc) and I'm very glad they did it. I enjoy playing as a Indian ruler, love the music pack too, and it really improves the gameplay for countries on it's border, my Ghaznavid "Great Indian Sultanate" achievement game was fun.

I like the fact that it feels like a smaller game, similar to sengoku, but I can also invade and expand into the "old" game.
Going by the responses it looks that I'm the opposite to some here, I prefer playing cultures and religions I know less about rather than those I'm more familiar with. They feel fresher and they also have the added bonus of sparking my interest to learn more about them .
I'm not that bothered that India sticks to it's own part of the map but I do wish that the Indian AI would expand more often into Persia, although I would find it very strange if it affected my France or Wales campaign! I think it makes sense that they stick close to their own border.

I felt the old border was too arbitrary and I'm glad ROI fixed that and added a new region to the game but I do feel that after Charlemagne there is no need to expand the timeline or map any further. The remaining dlc's should improve what we have now and maybe enhance the game by adding more cultural/religious specific events.

No. An Indian game wouldn't sell very well.

And India is important for CK2, because Muslims often tried to inave into India. Without India especially Persia is very bad represented.
With European powers in it I think it would. England, the Dutch, the French, Portugal. And since the map would be so large even minor actors like Denmark could be represented. Obviously Europe itself would all be off-map but it could be done a little like Sid Mier's Colonisation, with the affairs of the home country represented on some tab/screen. It would be amazing, all the civilisations in the Old World competing for control of the Subcontinent from 1498 to 1857.

With European powers in it I think it would. England, the Dutch, the French, Portugal. And since the map would be so large even minor actors like Denmark could be represented. Obviously Europe itself would all be off-map but it could be done a little like Sid Mier's Colonisation, with the affairs of the home country represented on some tab/screen. It would be amazing, all the civilisations in the Old World competing for control of the Subcontinent from 1498 to 1857.

I still think it would end like the other small side projects of Paradox... Sengoku... March of the Eagle. Especially sinse it would cover the same period like Europa Universalis. And EU has a very nice India with the next patch. I think the most people would still prefer to buy EU then to buy an own India game. Especially since India as an topic isn't that popular... Napoleon (MotE) and Japan (Sengoku) are at least more popular but you see how it ended.

I still think it would end like the other small side projects of Paradox... Sengoku... March of the Eagle. Especially sinse it would cover the same period like Europa Universalis. And EU has a very nice India with the next patch. I think the most people would still prefer to buy EU then to buy an own India game. Especially since India as an topic isn't that popular... Napoleon (MotE) and Japan (Sengoku) are at least more popular but you see how it ended.
I'm not sure, colonial India's a very diverse area with lots of familiar (and unfamiliar) empires from all over the world, unlike Japan (which is just Japanese of course). And Napoleonic Europe is a very small time-period to work in, not as open-ended.