Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree, but I blame the people who kept complaining that CoP didn't add much that wasn't included in the free patch and didn't buy it for that reason. Now all the good stuff will get added in the expansion and the patch will include only the absolutely minimum necessary to keep compatibility going.
So, your saying because someone complained they got too much in the free patch instead of the DLC, Paradox said " well then, NO free checky-boxes for YOU!" lol

I do hope that the Reformed Religion only changes if you have the DLC, Tolerance for Heretics will hopefully be compensated by the Fervor system. This gives me hope for Budhism/Confucianism as the buffs to Hindu is quite relevant and interesting. As for Papacy.. well I avoid Catholics because of the current papacy system, and if I get the DLC ill be drawn to Reformed/Hindus more than Catholics anyways even with the checkbox addition, so my stance at disliking catholic nations is unchanged I guess?

Fervor sounds cool but I fear it will just be another mechanic that will only be used for its military bonuses.

Seroiusly, paradox should half every military bonus in the game currently and double any bonuses related to money.

Noone is ever going to pick 10% trade efficiency over 10% morale or 10% discipline. It needs to be a ratio of 2-1 atleast, maybe even 3-1. Example 30% trade efficiency vs 10% morale.

There's just too many ways to stack military bonuses in game currently and it sucks for everyone trying to play the game differently. Stack a few bonuses and it doesn't matter if your enemy has twice the economy you do. You will just insta wipe their doomstacks anyway.

I'm usually the first to defend Paradox from wild accusations against the DLC policy, but this really is a severe misstep. Frankly it shocks me that the idea of packaging a UI improvement as paid content would even occur to you guys. What the hell is going on at Paradox HQ??

Add my voice to those who won't be buying the DLC on release day (as I have done for every previous DLC since I first discovered CK2, my first Paradox game). You're losing people, Paradox. Your most devoted fans are precisely the ones who will not follow you down this road ...

Last edited:
For the record, i counted 7 other major interface improvements that are free, just from the first page of changes.

Here's the deal.. i'll figure out 4-5 alternatives for you, and you can vote which one is paid for. (From a bunch of free features)

Howabout, I don't pay for any of what you admit in this post are free features? Another stupid EU4 decision, will not buy.

Howabout, I don't pay for any of what you admit in this post are free features?

You realise that said features are free because Paradox decided to make them free, and not due to some natural law of the universe, right?

I mean, Johan clearly has a diplomacy skill of about -4, but even at that some of the responses here boggle me.

You realise that said features are free because Paradox decided to make them free, and not due to some natural law of the universe, right?

Fair enough, but still, it's clear that they've run out of ideas that will excite gamers with the current direction of EU4, when they have to charge for what, in other PDS titles, would be a free patch fix.

Everything looks amazing, the Hindu and Reformed additions are really exciting. I have to concur though that paying for an interface thing like a checkbox feels wrong, it doesn't matter to me since there is so much cool stuff in WoN already that I'm going to buy it. The problem is the feeling your customers are going to have, like a recent episode of Extra Credits said you need to design your monetary policy so your customers enjoy spending money. If a DLC leaves a bad taste afterwards (even though it's a minor thing like a checkbox) it doesn't matter how great the DLC is, it will hurt PR.

Just my two cents on the situation.

Keep an eye out for the next dev diary. ;)

Sikh HYPE! :eek:

Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

The theme for this weeks dev diary will deal with the wholly uncontroversial topic of religions, and in particular which one is right and which one is wrong.

Just kidding :) The dev diary will however cover what we are adding in the area of religions in Wealth of Nations. Note that all of these changes are part of the Wealth of Nations paid expansion; they will not be in the large free update that traditionally comes with our expansions.

Reformed
First up is the Reformed Religion, the Calvinist faith that was particularly embraced by the Dutch in this time frame. We figured that doing something for the Dutch would be an appropriate thing for our trade themed expansion. It is a distinct religion in EU4 and has an increasing chance of spawning in a European province that has been Protestant for a long time. It also has an increased chance of appearing in nations that have selected more innovative ideas.

For Wealth of Nations Reformed nations can direct the industriousness of their people via a new concept called Fervor. The player will get a base value of 2 Fervor points per month if the nation is at peace and 1 per month if it is at war. Like most things in EU, this rate is also infuenced by things like prestige and stability. If its not used it’s stored. So how do you use it? Reformed nations have 3 place to focus their Fervor: Trade (Global Trade Power and Trade Steering bonus), War (Morale of Armies and Morale of Navies) and Stability (National Revolt Risk and Diplomatic Reputation). The player can activate one or more of these but each will cost 5 Fervor each month, which means that your nations needs to be fairly stable and at peace the be able to run one permanently - but you can also save up so run several at once for a power boost in times of crisis or expansion. We have also changed one of the Reformed religions regular modifiers from +10% trade efficiency to +2 tolerance for heretics, instead.

Hindus
Since we are adding East India Companies to Asia and Africa, we wanted to see if we could add something more to make it more interesting to play in India as a local and not just as a European conqueror. For one thing, we have added about 50 new events for Hindu rulers that deal with the Hindu religion (and we’ve added some nice new art for ambience). We have also added a personal deity system.

If you have the WoN expansion, Hinduism will lose its regular modifiers. Instead you get to pick a deity to follow. You can choose from Shiva, Ganesha, Surya, Ganga, Shakti and Vishnu. Each god has its own bonuses (and also specific interesting events as mentioned earlier). The ruler picks a deity for life, but when the ruler dies you get to pick a new one (though there is also a rare event that lets you change while the monarch lives). This is going to add an interesting new dimension as you build your Hindu empire in an interesting part of the world that we might revisit in the future in another expansion or add-on.

Papacy
And finally, as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal. With that checked the game will automatically assign enough influence to selected cardinals to keep your guy ahead in the competition. This is mostly to avoid the busy work of fighting to add +5 here and there to keep France out of the Throne of Peter.

That’s it for this week. Next week, we will talk a bit about the diplomatic additions that come with Wealth of Nations.

View attachment 106035

Who cares?

But I DO agree with the people complaining about the Cardinal thing. User Interface and usability things should NEVER EVER be part of the paid package. Enhancing religions like Reformed or Hindusim is great paid content, but making people pay for a convenience fix to an awkward UI screen leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Paying for content is good, paying for a improved UI is NOT. A good, useful UI is part of the basic foundation of a good game, not a paid 'power user' feature.

I absolutely agree. I have never once complained about DLC's for Paradox games before this moment. UI/QoL fixes should NOT be part of paid DLC.

Who cares?
A lot of people care. Don't belittle their work.

Fervor sounds cool but I fear it will just be another mechanic that will only be used for its military bonuses.

Seroiusly, paradox should half every military bonus in the game currently and double any bonuses related to money.

Noone is ever going to pick 10% trade efficiency over 10% morale or 10% discipline. It needs to be a ratio of 2-1 atleast, maybe even 3-1. Example 30% trade efficiency vs 10% morale.

There's just too many ways to stack military bonuses in game currently and it sucks for everyone trying to play the game differently. Stack a few bonuses and it doesn't matter if your enemy has twice the economy you do. You will just insta wipe their doomstacks anyway.
No, no, no. They should make troop maintenance and such scale in cost. You want to increase the value of money later on, not decrease it. Money is scarce early game, when you are forced to blob, and too abundant late game, when you have blobbed. Money is where it should be early game. It is completely irrelevant late game - completely unrealistic.

Troop maintenance should both scale over time, just like advisers (I think it already does that, maybe someone can confirm), and also scale a lot more aggressively based on troop count. You should be limited by both manpower, mercenaries available and cash available. Keeping huge armies around, over certain hard limits, no only force limits, should be close to unheard of.

Something like: 50 units in 1450, 75 units in 1550, 100 units in 1650, etc. Huge standing armies appeared much later. Basically I'm the Ottomans and I have 46 force limits. My army costs 0.25 ducats per month per unit when I have 50 units, then all my units cost 0.26 ducats per month when I have 51, 0.27 - 52, 0.28 - 53 etc. That would be on top of the extra cost for going over the force limits.
This way smaller countries would still be competitive. A smaller country with 30 units force limits could reach their force limits and surpass it and as long as they'd stay below 51 they'd only pay the fixed cost of being over force limits. However France with a force limit of 60, wanting to go over the hard limit would cost them dearly - at 70 units we're talking about an extra 0.20 ducats per month for each unit, plus the force limit extra cost.

Last edited:
I suspect that many others in this thread have already voiced a similar sentiment, but really Paradox? Automated papal points will be part of the paid expansion? Wow, just wow... Poor design decisions (such as those that gave rise to the curia system in the first place) are one thing, but nickel-and-diming your fans over such things is on a different level. When it has reached the point that I've lost all faith in Paradox's decision-making, I can only hope that someone else comes along and does historical grand strategy better like we all know it could be.

I am going to buy the DLC so you get a sale either way from me.

Even so, one should not have to buy a DLC to get access to a quality of life fix. Expansions should add completely new mechanics that are unique and fun in their own way, which would be exclusive from a mechanic involved with Vanilla. When I play EU4, I personally convert away from Catholicism as quickly as possible because their religious bonus is garbage, especially when the mini-game associated with it is tedious in a game that already requires for full attention in order to avoid a game over by events. I was delighted to see Catholicism getting a buff and was eager to stay true to the faith, especially when you're going to add it in to the new expansion patch.

As a business practice though, you should not sell a QoL fix. Paradox Interactive already has a reputation for being quite extravagant with their DLC's, to which some criticize while others praise. I personally prefer buying DLC because I like giving my game extra flare (so long as the DLC was created after the launched game and cut from the original product in order to sell you more), but that's just it -- flare.

I have never bought a DLC from Paradox Interactive in order to gain a QoL fix. Crusader Kings II consistently releases DLC that I enjoy, and it always bring QoL fixes in the patch for mechanics that have already been added to the game which is sensible. The reason people are in an uproar over this small change in particular, is that if it's suddenly acceptable to sell QoL fixes then it's setting another standard for the rest of your DLC's.

A standard I don't really find acceptable as a customer.

Please reconsider.

As I said in the other thread specifically about the Cardinal influence changes, I will not be buying any more Paradox products (EU series or otherwise) if it is now policy to force customers to pay for UI improvements and quality of life changes.

For the record, i counted 7 other major interface improvements that are free, just from the first page of changes.

Here's the deal.. i'll figure out 4-5 alternatives for you, and you can vote which one is paid for. (From a bunch of free features)

That is a good offer, thank you Johan.

I would literally have less of a problem with you putting a "please give us some money, we could really use it" DLC up on Steam for $2 that adds nothing to the game than I do with you guys trying to get me to pay for UI and quality of life changes. Hell, I'd probably even give you the two bucks.

I'm very worried about the precedent this sets; it removes my confidence that, in the future, your products will receive high-quality and free support. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if the games you released felt finished on day 1, but they never do. This has never stopped me from purchasing your products on day 1 before because I knew that no matter how broken it was, you guys would fix it for free. If you start charging for this kind of fix, I won't be able to say to myself "well, it's a little shaky now, but I know it will end up a wonderful game" as I have said to myself so many times in the past.