• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally finished!

Picking up from my last update after the initial peace Spain lost Granada, Sicily, Milan, Naples and Flanders to rebels. Just before Flanders revolted, Willem the Awesome died and was replaced by regency for Paul the utterly useless 3/4/3. As soon as Paul came of age I switched to a republic.
2013-05-11_00001.jpg

Totally failed taking screenshots this game so sorry if their not 10 years apart (pressed the Print Screen button instead of F12). Most of the 90s were spent colonizing what was needed. Here is the last one I have of the annexation of Flanders:

2013-05-11_00003.jpg

And here is the Iconoclasm decision. I think I had more stab hits in the first 40 years of this game then I have had in all my other games I have played combined:

2013-05-13_00001.jpg

In 1632 I get an awesome leader I keep until the end of the game:

2013-05-15_00001.jpg

The last 25 years of the game are spend learning to use trade properly. In this screen you can see that I freed Catalonia in my war for Cuba and the Mediterranean islands. I also got Avignon for 0 Infamy when they rebeled from my vassal the Pope.

2013-05-16_00001.jpg

Here are my final Screens. I think I did everything I needed to.

2013-05-17_00003.jpg

2013-05-17_00004.jpg

2013-05-17_00005.jpg

2013-05-17_00006.jpg

2013-05-17_00007.jpg

It was lots of fun and I learned a lot about trading. I kind of forced myself to try to limit my holdings to what was needed for the goals since I normally just go all out blob in my games.

Yabba, when are we going to start the next one? Americans get a nice 3 day holiday next weekend, it would be nice to play during it.

Quaren,

Congrats! Beautiful game there! Nice descriptions of what you did too. I imagine that as Flanders was a HRE member, you didn't get a core on Brabant?

Submission deadline:
11.59 PM Hawaii time
Friday, May 17, 2013.

Tick tock, tick tock...

Last edited:
Yabba, when are we going to start the next one? Americans get a nice 3 day holiday next weekend, it would be nice to play during it.

I wasn't planning to release the next one just quite yet, as an early June game means a longer wait for the July game.

If there's enough demand to release it for whitsun week, I'll consider it.

Thanks Alexti!!

Is that 5.1, or nerfed 5.2?

Did you manage to complete any of the other objectives as well?
It was 5.2 CTJU (manpower and trade nerfed, but not the truces) (though I didn't reach 200% nerf anyway). The other goals weren't too difficult, though the process was somewhat interesting.

Nothing interesting so far.
holland-1580.jpg

I've occupied Burgundy and Italy and blockaded Spain, so they had no choice but to accept. My idea here is to cut-off Limburg in hope it would revolt and then I could sphere it and use it to drag Liege into a war somehow. But I am letting Spain access all other provinces, since I don't want other revolters to succeed. I'm also removing Spanish cores on Philippines to prevent their spread in Indonesia. That brilliant plan with Limburg didn't exactly work out - they've revolted, but by then Liege somehow already got dragged into a war, so I've vassalized them.
holland-1583.jpg

Second war vs Spain - same plan as in first - I don't like fighting in Iberia. Besides the listed provinces I've seized one of their colonies to get colonial CB for the future.
holland-1590.jpg

It's getting less interesting afterwards - I relieved Spain and Venice of some of their unlawful possessions in Lombardia, took a central province in Cuba (to get other ones via colonial CB)
holland-1600.jpg

I had to take Malta for 10 infamy and Baleares for 4. Why do I even want them? :) By this point I can already achieve the goals by diploannexing Liege and conquering some more provinces in Asia. But no point of going high on infamy
holland-1610.jpg

Decision and Netherlands are mine - after that it was just blanket colonization and Trade-6 spamming.
holland-1613.jpg

By 1630 I finally got around completing the goals (diploannexed Malacca)
holland-1630west.jpgholland-1630east.jpg

In the end I had 3 large CoTs (in Malacca, Barbados and Antwerpen under completely control) and plenty of colonies everywhere including Siberia (without them the empire wouldn't be complete :) )

Alexti,

Thanks a lot for that thorough overview.

The ten year truces of the current patch are quite painful. If my manpower's ok, I frequently break truces now and bite down the stab hits.

Why did Malta cost 10 infamy? You must have got something else with that too?

The islands are needed as resupply points for the fleet, so that NED can project its power into the Med; so that in the future it can take more islands for resupply, so it can project its power further into the med, so that in the future it can take more islands for resupply, so that it can project its power ever further for some reason.

Really you might as well ask what's the point of Empire, Mr. Lombardia Annexer!

It's now 2100hrs Hawaii time. There's three hours left of the competition. If you haven't started yet and would like to start. There's still time to tender a finished submission, just remember to play only at speed 5...

Last edited:

And the first contest is over!

Current standings:

May Game of the Month NED

name1648primarysecondarybonus1648 incomepointsrank
Y2Jonathan132210,953.185
homy_dog3413-25635.7 (1644)610
Terrantor132210,532.387
XRW1---3,927.7111
chgrogers132212,294.184
Elycion132225,210.9102
Quaren132210,640.086
fulic1132-7,953.969
jecjackal132-12,040.168
alexti132232,942.0111
emeny132216,851.293

CAMPAIGN TABLE:

nameMay NEDJun Jul AugSep PointsRank
alexti11----111
chgrogers8----84
Elycion10----102
Emeny9----93
fulic16----69
homy_dog346----610
jecjackal6----68
Quaren8----86
Terrantor8----87
XRW1----111
Y2Jonathan8----85

Thanks and congratulations for everyone who took part!

It was really great to see how everybody approached the same task in different ways!

Thanks to everybody who has given me feedback and helped callibrate the game to its current state.

Alexti, Elycion and Emeny all raised the bar higher than I could imagine, and in doing so scooped the bonuses podium places!

And a special thanks to my personal favourite of the competition, XRW who, frustrated by Spain, went AWOL on a massive subjugation tangent in Germany, and then took his newly won vassal armies to go kick some well deserved Spic Butt!

Please leave feedback, thoughts about your campaign and which submissions were your favourite and why, below! Rememeber, you can post comments on this thread even if you were a silent spectator!

Thank you again everybody!

Last edited:
I was very impressed by Chgrogers game, even though I can't say his name.

Even though his income wasn't enough for a podium it was pretty impressive considering it was mainly trade and he didn't inherit anything. I kind of feel like he deserves the third spot more than I do.

Plus he went up against France, Spain AND Austria all at once, which is nuts.

I was very impressed by Chgrogers game, even though I can't say his name.

Even though his income wasn't enough for a podium it was pretty impressive considering it was mainly trade and he didn't inherit anything. I kind of feel like he deserves the third spot more than I do.

Plus he went up against France, Spain AND Austria all at once, which is nuts.

No that was FUN.

The ten year truces of the current patch are quite painful.
I agree. I particularly don't like that it seems like all AI nation end up in truces, so for lack of anything better to do they crush the hordes. Besides 10 year truces have somewhat undone manpower improvements.

Why did Malta cost 10 infamy? You must have got something else with that too?
2 for arbitrary DoW and 8 for annexing OPM :(

Really you might as well ask what's the point of Empire, Mr. Lombardia Annexer!
It's hard to resist nice cored provinces :)

After the huge success of our Netherlands contest, I'm proud to announce the second Game of the Month!

Are you up to the challenge?

Do you dare take on our carefully callibrated evil scenario?

Do you have the courage to post updates even when the screenshots show you getting carpet sieged?

How well do your skills measure against your competitors?

Can you climb the ranks month by month?

Can you defend your title?

2 challenges have been painstakingly prepared for you: A land challenge and a sea challenge.

I have plenty of time for this sort of thing if you'll have me. This sea challenge that you speak of makes me nervous though. I have never been good at naval warfare...

And no, I doubt I can defend my title. :p

After the huge success of our Netherlands contest, I'm proud to announce the second Game of the Month!

Are you up to the challenge?

Yes

Do you dare take on our carefully callibrated evil scenario?

Yes

Do you have the courage to post updates even when the screenshots show you getting carpet sieged?

Yes

How well do your skills measure against your competitors?

Very well

Can you climb the ranks month by month?

Depends can I think inside Alexti's box

Can you defend your title?

Revenge will be mine

2 challenges have been painstakingly prepared for you: A land challenge and a sea challenge.

Sea Challenge I'm Better at land warfare.