• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zweihander

Captain
51 Badges
Jul 8, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
RE-START Zweihander's Army Sprite Thread 24/1/2014

With the help of the tutorial from Chicken Spadge the Great, now I can converte unit sprites from Civilization III with a much better quallity, so now I decide to delete all the low quallity sprites which I converted in the past and re-start this old thread to list all new sprites I converted.

All the files are stored in pan.baidu.com , a Chinese Network disk ,to those who can't read Chinese, please look at the picture below, click this button to download.
I will also store them in the forum attachment, but you know, the attachment space is limited.
81279371jw1ecup298zc9j20jm0bjgm9.jpg

And strongly recommend to use Chicken Spadge's Army sprite pack which is a full pack and it is in the same style with my sprites
--------------

Reserve.

Last edited:
Thanks! Very good work! Keep it up! Looking forward to the French Musketeer, especially.

The only problem is that when they fight, they appear down and to the right of where they should in the fighting-graphic window (or whatever you're supposed to call it) so they are fighting over the right-hand status bar (or whatever that should be called) instead. I'm willing to overlook that if the new sprites are better than the originals, though!

Another thing is that the level-one Prussians never seem to appear, neither in the original nor with your replacements. So you get the level-one minor sprites instead.

The only problem is that when they fight, they appear down and to the right of where they should in the fighting-graphic window (or whatever you're supposed to call it) so they are fighting over the right-hand status bar (or whatever that should be called) instead. I'm willing to overlook that if the new sprites are better than the originals, though!

I am very sorry that I have no idea to fix this problem. I noticed this too since I converted my first unit. Hope someone can tell me the cause of this problem.

Another thing is that the level-one Prussians never seem to appear, neither in the original nor with your replacements. So you get the level-one minor sprites instead.

What's the problem with PRU sprite ? If you mean there is none of the nations use the PRU sprite in FTG 1.3 ,simply modify this in the For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Db\countries.txt
81279371jw1e2se5k7ar7j.jpg

This is great! Unfortunately (for me) I don't know how to install the packs. I extracted the Janissary pack in the units folders, but what else do I have to do?

This is great! Unfortunately (for me) I don't know how to install the packs. I extracted the Janissary pack in the units folders, but what else do I have to do?

Put 11 T-ARMY XXXXX.bmp files into For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Gfx\Map\Units\bmp folder
Put 11(maybe more) T-ARMY XXXXX.SPR files into For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Gfx\Map\Units folder
Put 1 P-XXX.bmp or p.bmp file into For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Gfx\Palettes folder

Specially: For Janissary , you need to modify the For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Db\countries.txt file
81279371jw1e2shcslumoj.jpg

Good work zweihander.

Would it be possible to make them slightly taller, decrease their marching pace and make them sway less so that they conform with the others?

I am very sorry that I have no idea to fix this problem. I noticed this too since I converted my first unit. Hope someone can tell me the cause of this problem.

What's the problem with PRU sprite ? If you mean there is none of the nations use the PRU sprite in FTG 1.3 ,simply modify this in the For the Glory\mods\(yourmod)\Db\countries.txt
81279371jw1e2se5k7ar7j.jpg

1. Like I said, it's not a big problem when the sprites look good, but if anyone does know how to fix it that would be good.

2. The curious thing here is that in the original in the Units file there is a PRU sprite for Level 1 (which looks like the old EU2 sprite in grey), while in the countries file for PRU it states ''army = PRU'' already. Despite this, the Level 1 PRU sprite seems to be ignored (you see a MIN sprite instead), even though PRU sprites do appear at the higher levels. Does anyone know why this is?

¡À¨º￾0ˆ0￾0‰9

1. Like I said, it's not a big problem when the sprites look good, but if anyone does know how to fix it that would be good.

2. The curious thing here is that in the original in the Units file there is a PRU sprite for Level 1 (which looks like the old EU2 sprite in grey), while in the countries file for PRU it states ''army = PRU'' already. Despite this, the Level 1 PRU sprite seems to be ignored (you see a MIN sprite instead), even though PRU sprites do appear at the higher levels. Does anyone know why this is?

You should know that the unit graphics files are divided into two parts : the .bmp files and the .spr files.
The .bmp files are the unit pictures ,but the game dosen't loads the .bmp files directly , it loads the .spr files . The .spr files are like a "link" to the .bmp files , they can set to link to any .bmp files , and the original 1st PRU .spr files are set to link to the 1st MIN .bmp files .
That's why you see MIN sprites for 1st level Prussian.

Sorry for my bad English and hope you understand what I said .

Last edited:
You should know that the unit graphics files are divided into two parts : the .bmp files and the .spr files.
The .bmp files are the unit pictures ,but the game dosen't loads the .bmp files directly , it loads the .spr files . The .spr files are like a "link" to the .bmp files , they can set to link to any .bmp files , and the original 1st PRU .spr files are set to link to the 1st MIN .bmp files .
That's why you see MIN sprites for 1st level Prussian.

Sorry for my bad English and hope you understand what I said .

Your English is very good. Don't worry about that.

I think I've become a bit confused because I usually play WATKABAOI. Actually, I suppose that Prussia doesn't usually appear at Level 1.

I do know about the .spr files. In fact, I've kept the orginal Level 1 sprites for the Germans but converted your new German sprite into the Austrian/Hapsburg Level 1 instead. I don't know if that's historically correct but it looks a lot better than the original white Hapsburg sprite! (in WATKABAOI)

Actually, the sprites are a bit messed up in a couple of cases in WATKABAOI. The Danes use the old EUII sprites at Level 1 and 2 and revert back to the Level 1 sprite when the Danes reach Level 3! This looks strange to say the least! What I've done is alter the .spr files so that the minor sprites appear for Denmark instead.

±êÌâ

Good work zweihander.

Would it be possible to make them slightly taller, decrease their marching pace and make them sway less so that they conform with the others?

As I said in the 1st post ,I don't made these models , I coverted them ,they are already .flc(.gif like) files. So I can do nothing to their sizes .
For the marching pace , maybe you can try to modify the "speed" in the .spr files .
And I will try to made a sway-less standing version for Doppelsoldner and Samurai next week.

¡À¨º￾0ˆ0￾0‰9

Your English is very good. Don't worry about that.

I think I've become a bit confused because I usually play WATKABAOI. Actually, I suppose that Prussia doesn't usually appear at Level 1.

I do know about the .spr files. In fact, I've kept the orginal Level 1 sprites for the Germans but converted your new German sprite into the Austrian/Hapsburg Level 1 instead. I don't know if that's historically correct but it looks a lot better than the original white Hapsburg sprite! (in WATKABAOI)

Yes, the Doppelsoldner sprites are also made for HAB, and Austria was the first country to use landsknechts in history .
The teutonic swordman sprites are made for teutonic order, so I suggest make the teutonic order (LAT) use the PRU sprites .
For the Danish units ,try to copy the 3rd and 4th MIN .spr files and rename the "min" to "dan".

Last edited:
Of course, it's entirely up to you which sprites you choose to convert, but if you're open to suggestions....!

Your new German doppelsoldner is very good, but so is the existing For the Glory one. Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on sprites that aren't so great at the moment?

For example, the European Level 3 sprites. At the moment we've got an excellent sleek-looking minor sprite alongside a bunch of large and cartoonish major-power ones wearing different-coloured coats.

I've had a look at the Civ III sprites on that Civfanatics site, and someone called Steph has posted up some good-looking sprites for various countries (Sweden, Spain, Italy, France, Prussia and Britain) with the heading 1650-1805. Have you had a look at those?

Whatever you do will be greatly appreciated, though! Those Turkish Janissaries in particular are fantastic!

Of course, it's entirely up to you which sprites you choose to convert, but if you're open to suggestions....!

Your new German doppelsoldner is very good, but so is the existing For the Glory one. Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on sprites that aren't so great at the moment?

For example, the European Level 3 sprites. At the moment we've got an excellent sleek-looking minor sprite alongside a bunch of large and cartoonish major-power ones wearing different-coloured coats.

I've had a look at the Civ III sprites on that Civfanatics site, and someone called Steph has posted up some good-looking sprites for various countries (Sweden, Spain, Italy, France, Prussia and Britain) with the heading 1650-1805. Have you had a look at those?

Whatever you do will be greatly appreciated, though! Those Turkish Janissaries in particular are fantastic!

Sorry for late to reply because of exams.

Yes, I have look for the Steph's units , he did a great work.

Exactly, I have had a great plan to converted all 3rd and 4th units for different Eurpean nations last two month , however, unfortuntely , I fail. The biggest problem is still the size of the unit graphics , the units in Civfan have different sizes ,the Doppelsoldner and Janissariy are almost the largest size unit I could find in Civfan, still smaller than the original Eu2 unit sprites.

Some units(unfortuntely, most of Steph's) are much smaller than the Eu2 unit sprite, and many details would be lost through converting , and the detail-losting problem is especially serious in small units . I have converted a Steph's line infantry ,when I finish, it was just as large as 3/5 of the original Eu2 unit sprite, and I can't even see his musket, that's why I gave up.

I will be appreciated that you list your unit suggestion here ,if you find the really size-suitable unit graphic.

P.S. 1: I will convert the french royal musketeer and European swordman this weekend.
P.S. 2: And I will make a sway-less standing version for Doppelsoldner and Samurai for Therion this weekend.
P.S. 3: Suggest to find some excellant units sprites in Kaigon's site http://kaigon.ripperdoc.net/flagsite/ http://kaigon.ripperdoc.net/flagsite/spritesciv.html

Last edited:
Exactly, I have had a great plan to converted all 3rd and 4th units for different Eurpean nations last two month , however, unfortuntely , I fail. The biggest problem is still the size of the unit graphics , the units in Civfan have different sizes ,the Doppelsoldner and Janissariy are almost the largest size unit I could find in Civfan, still smaller than the original Eu2 unit sprites.

Some units(unfortuntely, most of Steph's) are much smaller than the Eu2 unit sprite, and many details would be lost through converting , and the detail-losting problem is especially serious in small units . I have converted a Steph's line infantry ,when I finish, it was just as large as 3/5 of the original Eu2 unit sprite, and I can't even see his musket, that's why I gave up.

That's a pity!

What about the sprites made by imperator1961 and Sandris? Are they too small as well? I notice that they have included preview animations that show the sprites moving. I don't know if these are shown at the actual size, but if they are, they look about right to me (maybe slightly smaller but not too much).

Anyway, here is a link to some Spanish sprites made by imperator1961: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=346471
And here is a link to some British sprites made by Sandris: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=276422

I've made a note of other units made by them, so if you want more links just ask.

By the way, thanks for the link to the Kaigon sprites. It's a pity that nearly all of them are from the wrong era (unless you're playing an ancient world mod) or are shown on horseback, or even an elephant!

Still, I've used the Swiss Guard sprite, which looks very good.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid I spoke too soon about using your Doppelsoldner just for the Austrians. I hadn't checked to see if it actually worked in the game! The problem was that, as far as I know, you can't change the .bmp file name without messing the sprites up, so you can't have both the original sprites and your new ones at the same time when they have the same name.

I notice that Kaigon's Swiss Guard .bmp file has names like this: Kaigon_SwissMercenary_run_E This allows you to use them for whatever unit you want.

When you alter the Doppelsoldner and Japanese units, could you give the .bmp files names like that?

Anyway, I'll look forward to those other sprites you mentioned.

Good luck with the exams.