• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mushro0m

Captain
51 Badges
Feb 20, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Starvoid
  • Semper Fi
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
- Every country playable, with eight major nations that can win on their own.

So, lets talk about the nations which can win on their own!

i guess it will be :

United Kingdom
France
Russia
Austria
Prussia
Ottoman Empire
Spain

and Sweden or the Kingdom of Sicily. Well, since its a game from Paradox, i guess it will be Sweden. :happy:
What do you think?

Last edited:
That must be the right list of nations.

Depends on what you mean by winning.
There's only two nations who can take on all the others alone, and that would be Russia and France.
The others can only work in coalitions with others and be on the winning side.

All the minor German states might also be included in some way (e.g. Bavaria, Saxony...)

Perhaps it willl be handled the same way like in Crusaders 2, but my guess is that you can play them as well (though they won't represent a major nation but some kind of minor).

UK, France and Russia are the major ones, should be easiest to win as.
Prussia & Austria are next tier.
Ottomans, Spain and Sweden are the hardest to win as..

Does that mean tha it's pointless to play has any other nation other than the ones yuo mention? or am I just misinterpreting

P.S: sorry for bad english

And what is "winning" here?

A highly flexible victory system that sees Britain and France pitted against each other for dominance over the continent, but should one stumble another country can pick up the baton. Each country has different paths to Victory, taking the Eagles into Spain and Russia over France its best ways to win but your path is yours. As for the other countries your routes to Victory lie in several directions, do you ally with France or oppose her, both routes are open to you. The destiny of Europe is in your hands, what will you do?
- A flexible Victory system that allows for Historical choices but gives the players freedom to pursue their destiny

I guess only the big 8 have victory conditions and the rest is sandbox.

I guess only the big 8 have victory conditions and the rest is sandbox.
Good guess but Johan only mentions seven nations.
And the smaller nations have a harder time winning, suggesting that winning is the same for them.

And what is "winning" here?

I have to re-iterate this question as it is quite important, in my opinion. Especially if the victory condition(s) is/are fixed and the game ends when another power reaches the particular VC(s), thus not allowing you continue the game.

That would supremely hurt the value of playability, I think. A fixed end-game feature like that would bring the question, 'Why play smaller nations? What is the point, other than flavour and accuracy, in including them if they're virtually impossible to win as?'.

Sengoku, I believe, had a fixed VC: conquer Japan. If you didn't do that, I believe the game simply ended (don't know that for sure, however).

Perhaps it's much too late to say this, but, I really hope PDS incorporates their concept of 'winning-is-in-the-eyes-of-the-beholder' philosophy for MotE. Yes, I can see the point in having set VC(s) and it would make more sense, but hey; can't a man dream? :p

However if the VC(s) are like HOI3, where they're multiple choice and stuff, this post goes straight out the window. :p

I don't care much as long as I get to take over Denmark and do what our terrible kings couldn't do at this time, beat Britain on the sea and help France win.

I don't care much as long as I get to take over Denmark and do what our terrible kings couldn't do at this time, beat Britain on the sea and help France win.
Since the game begins in 1805 and the danish fleet was destroyed in 1801 (Battle of the Sound), I doubt you can challenge Britain on the seas.
This battle spelled the end of danish supremacy on the sea!

Since the game begins in 1805 and the danish fleet was destroyed in 1801 (Battle of the Sound), I doubt you can challenge Britain on the seas.
This battle spelled the end of danish supremacy on the sea!

What makes you think that? My book on 'Englandskrigene' disagrees, Wikipedia disagrees and any historians I've read from or seen talking about this subject disagrees, the Danish fleet does not loose any important strength until 1807 when England terror bombs Copenhagen and sails off with the whole fleet, forcing Denmark to defend itself with the smaller gunboats, hence the English name for the wars.

I'd be inclined to agree with Keanon.

Though the Royal Dano-Norwegian Navy was definitely weakened by the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801, it was the 1807 Battle of Copenhagen which effectively made it null-and-void within the Napoleonic Wars. So, due to the game beginning in 1805, I don't see any reason why the player could not restore the Common Fleet to glory! :D

I want to play as finland and rebel against the swedes.

I'd be inclined to agree with Keanon.

Though the Royal Dano-Norwegian Navy was definitely weakened by the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801, it was the 1807 Battle of Copenhagen which effectively made it null-and-void within the Napoleonic Wars. So, due to the game beginning in 1805, I don't see any reason why the player could not restore the Common Fleet to glory! :D
I must have remembered wrong.
Indeed the Danes should start the game with at least 18 ships of the line.
Still not a lot compared to the English, but certainly a force that can be built on (and in 1805 a significant navy).
If joined with the Franco-Spanish fleets, the battle of Trafalgar might have turned out differently :)

I must have remembered wrong.
Indeed the Danes should start the game with at least 18 ships of the line.
Still not a lot compared to the English, but certainly a force that can be built on (and in 1805 a significant navy).
If joined with the Franco-Spanish fleets, the battle of Trafalgar might have turned out differently :)

Yus! :D

All this talk makes me want to play Denmark and destroy everything around me lol

Everyone's first game should be as Denmark! :laugh:

UK, France and Russia are the major ones, should be easiest to win as.
Prussia & Austria are next tier.
Ottomans, Spain and Sweden are the hardest to win as..

C'mon, Ottomans weren't that bad in that time. They had modernized and reestablished their army and before those years. We even defeated Napoleon with a small force in Acre even though we were outnumbered by 3 to 1.

Last edited: