• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thing is, Carnage games aren't modelled as a three-way battle of Axis-Allies-Comintern. Given that the games are often decided so early on, (not to mention positioning, historical imperative and so on), the game always turns out as Allies and Comintern vs. Axis. That's reflected in the fact that allied players are allowed to help the soviet player out in coop. Effectively, the SU is just another ally.

And that, in turn, means that any smart SU player will attempt to engage germany in a 2-front war between itself and France, a war that tends to end very badly for germany.

And, as far as I know, the SU is perfectly capable of refusing a Moltov-Ribbentrop pact, yes? Or even of wiping out Poland on its own before 1939? The existence of Poland is a precondition for the pact.

Obviously one solution would just be to make the Pact mandatory, but that doesn't seem optimal. I think Germany should be able to gamble a little. The slice of Poland the SU gets makes for very valuable defensive ground, and giving Germany the ability to lay the groundwork for barbarossa by taking away that land seems like a good idea. It gives games more variety, because gives the players a larger degree of choice in the opening game.

Of course, the ability to lay that groundwork needs to come at a cost. And I think that "A much shorter window in which to eliminate france" is a pretty good cost. I'm not exactly sure of the timeframes, but I think something like 4-8 months post-rejection is at least reasonable. It gives the germans a window. After rejecting the pact they have to use that windown to wipe out poland, france and the benelux countries as soon as possible. If they succeed and they've got their army at the eastern front in time, the gamble will have payed off and their reward will be starting positions much closer to the important soviet cities. If they fail, then they'll find themselves embroiled in a 2-front war.

It'd make for more tension in-game, more variety in terms of openings and a lot of general fun. I think.

While this ended swifter than I had hoped (a little more Carnage goes a long way) I still enjoyed it. Personally I don't think the Axis should have surrendered so quickly. Maybe go down swinging and once their nations are defeated switch to USA/other Allied nations or help co-op the Soviets for the finale. I understand the reasoning though. Without an ace up their sleeve, the failure to break the French doomed the Axis. Would doing something like DoW on Spain and/or Switzerland to open up new lanes of attack have helped any?

May be a more sensible mechanism for actually turning this into a three way war instead of just everybody against the Axis?

Does anyone from the Axis side care to share what their master plan was? Was the intent to finish France earlier (without USSR involvement) and then also go after the USSR earlier, or was the idea of the 2-front war part of the plan from the outset (which then went badly)?

The Axis probably feels because of the rule changes, its going to be very tough for them to win a traditional war so they have to try some special tactics. Perhaps in the next carnage, an Axis player could play Spain

Last edited:
Very interesting game. Remembering several games ago, you were able to hold off the Bear in a two front war while beating France. My impression that time was that the Russians were a little too passive in Poland - they never invaded the Baltics to expand the front, never seemed to get much momentum behind an advance. This time, you were flinging soldiers forward even while being driven back elsewhere.

Other differences have also been cited - France defended better in Belgium this time, Germans had less time to use IC advantage. Which of all these do you think was most decisive?

The next Axis plan should be peace with the Allies and to attack the SU through Romania before 1939. Unless Germany has to demand Danzig according to HR.

Other differences have also been cited - France defended better in Belgium this time, Germans had less time to use IC advantage. Which of all these do you think was most decisive?

The older games were with Semper Fi, these are with For the Motherland expansion. There's been a lot of changes from the former to the latter.

The next Axis plan should be peace with the Allies and to attack the SU through Romania before 1939. Unless Germany has to demand Danzig according to HR.

Dunno if the supply lines would be up to it. Would open a lot of interesting ideas, though. Axis being friendly until Romania etc are in their faction peacefully, then dowing Russia and going amphibious invasion all over the country.

Aren't there three factions for a reason?

Well, actually Stalin made the pact so he could get the baltic countries and Finland in his SOI, which the Allies had not agreed on their version of a new Entente. Besides, what he (and the whole world) expected would be that Germany would bleed white in France again while also bleeding the allies; and then be too weak to resist an invasion later. It was never his intent to hit Germany so soon. But we all know what happened.

But history aside, again due to balance reasons, two front war = big no no, unless the game was allowed to turn into a Comintern vs Allies game, as was proposed.

Last edited:
On factions vs factions : what you can do is developp a victory points system where Komintern gets value for taking countries, while Allies get their own points for what they do too. e.g., in the end, the goal is not only to defeat the Axis, but to get more points than the other faction fighting the Axis.

We are currently experiencing such a system on our game. You can find the value HERE.

This too quick.
Plz do a rematch.Want to see cpt on the soviets for a proper barbarossa.
Looking on for the next one.And thanks for all the previous ones incl this one.:wub:

If you look back at previous games, the Axis always win. The last one, including the Flying Circus, was almost a win for the Axis. This means that without the Flying Circus they don't stand a chance.

It's now 3-3, far from one sided.

This game is very similar to the 'royal carnage' were due to early attacks by Italy, they drew USA into the war. Too many allies too quickly spells game over. The axis can only win if they take on the allies no more than 2 at a time.
Overall a pity it ended so soon... However, I wouldn't say it was completely unexpected:

It seems to me that with the number of players, skill of players, new rules, and what the player have learned from previous AARs, the Allies have a definite advantage.
I had the exact same feeling!

Any idea/info for the next set-up?

I gotta say, I agree on the balance issues as well. The way the game is played now you have Germany, Italy and Japan against the UK, France and the SU, with the US jumping in a bit later. That is a lot of power on the allies' side. What the axis needs to do is eliminate allies quickly enough to prevent them focusing their power. I think part of the major axis advantage is that they are capable of focusing on individual opponents, the soviet union in particular.

However that advantage is massively undermined by a competent UK player. Allied naval dominance is a foregone conclusion, most of the time, and that, coupled with the frankly awful amphibious mechanics, makes it really, really difficult for the axis to bring forces to bear. I think Carnage Al Dente showed this best, where the Axis just couldn't break the soviets because of frequent british landings sapping their forces and their industry. And that tactic, while well-employed by Zid, is also ridiculously, ridiculously powerful. Naval dominance gives so much strategic mobility it isn't even funny. The ability to assault a weak enemy position, inflict casualties, force them to pull off or redeploy troops, before evacuating while singing the trololol song is something that saps both strength and attention. Britain's capable of sustaining what's effectively an extra front almost indefinitely. And while, yes, this strategy requires a certain amount of investment in both industry and player attention, it's probably the allies' strongest asset. And, combined with the soviet union's sheer resilience, Japan's inability to really help their allies (both their soviet and british conquests are fairly long-term in nature) and the fact that France, for all its flaws, is generally pretty capable of at least stalling the germans, as well as the ineffectualness of Germany's other big ally, italy, it just... really hurts the allied chances.

My suggestion for a fix would probably be to restrict amphibious landings to a degree where they're still a threat, but don't tie up quite as many troops over the long term. Probably something to restrict sudden evacuations. Make landing forces commit some more. At the same time I'd either remove the Blitzkrieg or the Destiny event for Germany. Probably Blitzkrieg, to make france better at resisting the germans.