• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In HOI2, there was a 24-hour Attack Delay after any succeful landing. coupled with the fact that back then, you could only land in ports or provinces with beaches, it made such tactics very dangerous to use. While I know PI won't bring the beaches back, the AD would seem a reasonable compromise, at least.

Quality of this series has been dropping dramatically lately.

I'm sure the guys appreciate all the constructive criticism. The Carnage group is constantly tweaking and changing the rules. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure the group will learn from this and move forward in the direction they want to move. Since Cap and his group make these AAR's purely for our entertainment and receive no monetary compensation for it, I'll leave it up to them to decide where the quality of the series rates at.

Since Cap and his group make these AAR's purely for our entertainment and receive no monetary compensation for it, I'll leave it up to them to decide where the quality of the series rates at.

If nobody reads their AAR then what is the point of making them? I understand why you felt the need to white knight and ride to the rescue, but people viewing AARs judge the quality not the writers themselves. I think I am a fantastic German speaker but I assume language teachers would disagree.

If nobody reads their AAR then what is the point of making them? I understand why you felt the need to white knight and ride to the rescue, but people viewing AARs judge the quality not the writers themselves. I think I am a fantastic German speaker but I assume language teachers would disagree.

Anyway, it's quite impolite to come in uninvited and dish out criticism without offering any kind of what you would do better. It's like an opposition in politics which only ciriticses but never comes up with ideas of their own. They're completely useless.

And on yet another note, this series may be the most popular of all HoI3 AARs. There's lots of people reading this, certainly enough to make it worthwhile continuing it.

This may have been short, but that was no fault of the writer - I just hope that CptEasy will get the chance to give us a longer and more epic MP AAR from a Soviet perspective at some point in the future.

Quality of this series has been dropping dramatically lately.

Just stop reading them then. And spare us of your comments. As if they would care about comment from someone not writing anything valuable...

Just stop reading them then. And spare us of your comments. As if they would care about comment from someone not writing anything valuable...

Jagdpnzr said:
I'm sure the guys appreciate all the constructive criticism. The Carnage group is constantly tweaking and changing the rules. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure the group will learn from this and move forward in the direction they want to move. Since Cap and his group make these AAR's purely for our entertainment and receive no monetary compensation for it, I'll leave it up to them to decide where the quality of the series rates at.

Problem is all hoi series is that it is not really about ww2. It is German annexing Soviet Union with his sidekicks leaving 80% of world totaly ignored. More disapointing is that players dont actuallt finnish their games. When German panzers can no longer blitz they declear game is over. But you know what? After Kursk Hitler did not give up! It took damn many campaings and years to finish Nazi Germany. Also in this game Japan controlling Germans eastern front and Italy sending their army there, it is pure ahistorical nonsense what players like me cant endure.

And now some constructive critism: Make every contry goal system. Like Italy will win the game if they control Egypt, Greece, Libya, Algeria and of cource all Italys cores. Japan will win the game if they control whole Pacific Ocean. Actually htis kind of war goal system would make game much more realistic than giving Germany every recource to defeat Soviets at cost dangering all other frontline. Goal system can be divided in three sections: moderate, historical and total victory. So idea is to control areas certain amount of time and players can declare their contry has done best job in war.

I also want people to play until the bitter end but I can understand why most don't want to do it. Some times it looks impossible to win and then you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, which is something you will never experience if you surrender before the game is definitely over. In one of the MP games I have participated in I was in I was completely sure that I was going to lose, but even so I kept on fighting and then I even managed to win!

It could presumably be done by altering the goal dynamics: IE: Axis wins if they manage to survive/hold certain positions to a certain date. (or make it so that axis first has to take certain provinces, but then don't have to hold them: They need to take say... Paris, Moscow, etc. but they win if they manage to hold Berlin and Tokyo at the end of the game)

Please keep comments civil when it comes to other commentators and players. The game itself can be criticised all you want.

I don´t think that any of the players really enjoyed this game, at least not as we enjoyed "al dente". I do think that the Axis game up too early, but I am not in any position to give a good estimate of their true position. I do think that both "Blitzkrieg" and "Destiny" had been activated. If the italians could find good defensive positions and give the germans enough time to take out France, perhaps the Axis could have won. I know that both myself and CptEasy were somewhat surprised when they surrendered. I had hoped to see what USA could do in the late game.

We all hope the next game is longer and more intense.

I've seen similiar situations many times from you perspective it looks bad but your enemy is on edge of colapse, if you don't try you can never know, from your perspective enemy is always stronger then it really is, that's why Patton divided atleast 3x all reports about enemy numbers by his men.

Btw CptEasy couldn't you post last savegame so we can see how situation looked in the endgame?

I know this isn't the first time mods have had to mention this in a Carnage thread, but let me reiterate it again. It's bad enough when you guys don't stay on topic, but please refrain from inflammatory and argumentative comments directed towards both the players and other commentators or there will be consequences.

As a commentator, I was surprised at the early end and I do wish it had gone a little longer, but I doubt the Axis would have surrendered if they didn't think it was absolutely doomed at that point. I hope there will be another game - it was hinted as such but no new thread and no announced name for one.

Argh, no Gottendamrung and Allies vs. Comintern war? :p

Please. Please! The race to puppet Germany would be excellent. What happens to a puppeted player? Does the game end?

As we have difficulties to play as often as we like, non of us are intrested in playing a game that is very close at having a certain outcome. You can of course argue how certain this was, but it is for the surrendering part to make that call - and thats that. Errr... we actually have no HR against puppeting a major at this point, but if you can puppet a major, I think the game is pretty much over anyway. But I can be wrong. We may have to look into that.

tbh I would have liked them to play on as allies vs comintern.

As have been quite correctly pointed out by several readers, it is pretty much a two-team war (with two skype lines) which of course is quite ahistorical (but more fun for the players). For winning Allies/commies to continue the war against each others has so far not been on the table for us.

Very interesting game. Remembering several games ago, you were able to hold off the Bear in a two front war while beating France. My impression that time was that the Russians were a little too passive in Poland - they never invaded the Baltics to expand the front, never seemed to get much momentum behind an advance. This time, you were flinging soldiers forward even while being driven back elsewhere.

Other differences have also been cited - France defended better in Belgium this time, Germans had less time to use IC advantage. Which of all these do you think was most decisive?

It is interesting you bring that comparizon up. I thought a lot about it too, and it was one of the reason I was so hesistant to attack. I think time and built up is a crusial difference. Germany can build some 20 inf division, give or take some, from a -38 start until may 39. Thats 20 division which are a lot better than allied and commie counterparts. In Sudden Carnage, I was sure I was doomed but I felt by time I was simply out-producing my enemies, and when I finally crushed France, it was not extremely difficult. In this game, Maxyboy went out in a two front war without those 20 divisions and simply did not have enough to man the lines. I think his chances for survival was extremely small.

But as Baltasar points out, it was at a lot of patches and versions between them so it is impossible to compaire straight off. I have the feeling Soviet is somewhat stronger now, but I have not checked it up.

Please keep comments civil when it comes to other commentators and players. The game itself can be criticised all you want.

I don´t think that any of the players really enjoyed this game, at least not as we enjoyed "al dente".

Yes, that can't be so hard. If you don't like it, don't read it. If you have suggestions for improvements, thats very much appresiated as long as it is not in conflict with the rules on this forum. Feel free to use this thread if you like to discuss House Rules and game mechanics. I don't like the idea of being closed down again.

And as Zid pointed out - this wasn't exactly the game of our dreams either. Axis took a chance and made a stunt... and was tought a lesson :). Hopefully, Axis play a more careful game next time.... and actually... they do ;)

it is said in real life that "the general staff is always fighting yesterday's war."
now that you guys have been fighting each other for so long, how much of that is true? was this stunt inspired by a previous game?

I said it at the start, but I'll repeat it; Stalin coming into the war while Germany was occupied in France was one of Hitler's worst nightmares. So it's no surprise that a Soviet assault on Germany crushed the Axis outright.

That said, it would have been fun to see the cold war go hot. Especially this early. I've never seen a war between the Allies and Comintern.

Well, the "sudden" part of the title was certainly appropriate. Since this round was so short, will you be shaking up the country lineups again or will you guys just try again with the same nations?

That said, it would have been fun to see the cold war go hot. Especially this early. I've never seen a war between the Allies and Comintern.

I had one happen in my China AAR, a link to which is in my signature. I couldn't stop laughing after I saw the Soviet DoW against the UK message box pop up :)

As have been quite correctly pointed out by several readers, it is pretty much a two-team war (with two skype lines) which of course is quite ahistorical (but more fun for the players). For winning Allies/commies to continue the war against each others has so far not been on the table for us.

I would really like the SU to not be able to communicate with the allies via Skype. You can meet once a year to discuss strategy but nothing in game. That would be cool in my opinion.

You know, with the latest map in the latest patch; there is a tonne of rivers in the Low Countries. That makes that region far easier to defend over vanilla. Anyone else notice this? German AI might get bogged down there vs. French AI but in player vs. player perhaps it makes the difference.

Two front war really means Germany is screwed. Cpt. showed us that with his extremely aggressive onslaught into Poland as he figured attack is his greatest defence. :)

What's next? Costa del Carnage (Nat Spain)? Kentucky Fried Carnage (USA)? Chicken Chow Carnage (Nat China)? Or Á Cote de Carnage (France)? Maybe there should be a house rule that encourages the Comitern/Allies to compete for victory conditions. Force Comitern/Allies to Puppet Germany (customise a decision to release the approx cores of modern Germany)? It's very interesting how that would go. I think everyone here wants to see the fall of a player country. No disrespect to the player but the collapse would be a spectacular thing to behold.

Keep us updated. :)

Last edited:
I would really like the SU to not be able to communicate with the allies via Skype. You can meet once a year to discuss strategy but nothing in game. That would be cool in my opinion.

Playing is also a social event for us. I am not sure how fun it would be to sit in front of a computer screen without communication for hours.