• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

principiis

Second Lieutenant
72 Badges
Feb 24, 2012
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Prison Architect
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Lengi lifi Ísland! - An Iceland Mini-Mod (v0.1)

A mod designed specifically to give everyone's favorite remote subarctic island a fighting chance against her (many) numerically-superior foes -- and a new route to glory!

For some reason, I've always been drawn to the remote or unusual realms of CKII. I played my first full game of CKII as Iceland, and had a tremendous amount of fun slowly absorbing the British Isles through the centuries. (To this day, I remain irrationally proud of this modest accomplishment.)

Still, I felt there were a few parts of the experience missing. I was rather disappointed that my Icelandic conquerors' culture would never migrate to their overseas holdings, especially after coming across the fascinating history of the Norse-Gaels. And, for that matter, why didn't they get their own unique culture -- closely related to and influenced by Norwegian culture, of course, but nevertheless distinct from it? Was I really doomed to be forever out of mercenary-hiring range simply because I wanted to keep my capital at Reykjavík? What, exactly, was the point of being able to hire holy orders if I didn't have enough boats to get them off the island?

The longer I played, the more I began to see little issues and minor annoyances cropping up. This mod represents my attempt to address those issues and more, and in doing so, make Iceland a viable cultural and military power.

Please note: this mod currently only works with 1066 starts, and has not been tested for compatibility with other mods.

Compatible with 1.05g. Download here.

Main Features:
  • Titular Kingdom of Iceland, to entice would-be conquerors from the north
  • Unique Icelandic culture, with new and transliterated/linked names
  • Modified culture-spread mechanic allows cultures to cross oceans (courtesy of Meneth)
  • Additional holding slots in Austisland and Vestisland, to reward domestic investment and help futureproof against enemy levy growth
Installation:
  1. Unpack LLI.zip.
  2. Open the newly-created LLI folder.
  3. Move the LLI subfolder and LLI.mod file to your mod directory.
  4. Mac users only: Open LLI.mod in a text editor and edit the path variable to reflect the absolute path to the mod directory (e.g., "/Users/*your user name*/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/crusader kings ii/mod/LLI").
Use in other mods:
Meneth's culture-spread mechanic may not be used in mods of your own without his express permission. All other parts are free for you to use, provided you credit this mod in your own.

Credits:
My thanks to the following, without whom this mod would either be in considerably worse shape or otherwise nonexistent:
  • Amauri, for providing debugging assistance
  • EmperorTojo, whose Norse Cultures mod helped me get my version of Icelandic culture working
  • Jamie550, for creating the inimitable Validator
  • Korbah, for his forum posts on setting creation requirements for titular titles and debugging assistance
  • Meneth, for creating the invaluable overseas culture-spread mechanic
  • Sleight of Hand, and many, many other forumites, for sharing their incredible collaborative work on name-linking in the main forum
  • The incredible members of this community, for kindly taking the time to answer my mod-related questions and sharing their accumulated knowledge with all of us here
Changelog:
0.1 (initial release):
  • Added the titular Kingdom of Iceland title (requires Icelandic or Norwegian Christian ruler to hold Austisland and Vestisland, and a minimum of two ducal titles)
  • Raised the maximum number of baronies in Austisland and Vestisland to four and five, respectively
  • Modified list of barony names in Austisland and Vestisland to reflect real Icelandic cities and towns
  • Added Icelandic culture to North Germanic group
  • Added new and transliterated Icelandic names, and new name links (where appropriate)
  • Changed culture of all characters alive in Iceland at 1066 start from Norwegian to Icelandic
  • Added Meneth's original Culture Spread Via Ports mini-mod (now a part of Balansegang) to allow the spread of Icelandic culture

Last edited:
Nice work principiis :)
Glad to see you got it all working and uploaded.

Thanks! Like I said up top, though, I couldn't have done it without your help, and the help of lots of other folks here.

If it seems there's sufficient interest, and there aren't any glaring bugs in v0.1 that need to be addressed, I might even add some new features -- maybe a small band of Icelandic mercs (something Vikingesque, I imagine :laugh:), or new culture-specific buildings? Or maybe some culture-fusing events, à la England, for the closest/likeliest expansion targets?

Obviously, I don't want to unbalance things here, but I think there are a couple of fun avenues open to me to flesh out the mod a bit more. I guess we'll see!

Nice to see you got it up and running Principiis. =D

I will find a way to merge his with CK2+ and Balansegang just to use it. xD

Good luck with future projects.

Nice to see you got it up and running Principiis. =D

I will find a way to merge his with CK2+ and Balansegang just to use it. xD

Good luck with future projects.

Thank you -- that's very high praise! And thank you again for helping me work out the bugs; sending me those Validator logs was a tremendous help.

Just downloaded it, I like it. Very good.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it -- and if you have any bug reports or suggestions, post 'em here! Feedback is always good. :happy: