• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

herrhals

General
51 Badges
Mar 18, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RKwyKNEWRY

Seriously, with the new patch, I would like to do my first AAR. I am not really sure what kind of game, nor what rules to play the game by. Here is what I will do: Do a shuffle.
I need your help! please!!

Post a FUN game you have played or seen before and the very specific rules I should play by. Include:
1. Country name
2. Start date
3. Exact house rules, restrictions
4. Goals you think I should accomplish.

-I don't want New World nations, Ming, nor sub-Sahara Afrika. (Not that I can't play them, but I just don't want to, too boring, and too broken for my tastes.) :p
-Nothing on the verge of impossible (Bar, Ryukyu WC, Epirus, etc), but I do consider myself an advanced player.

Once I get ~40 suggestion posts I'll run a random number generator, and choose the game that way.
Please no repeat countries, unless the rules and goals are completely different.

One suggestion per post please.

Thanks guys.

England;

start date - October 14th, 1399.

"restrictions/house rules"
  • Missions must be completed or automatically cancelled (so you MAY build a weapons manufactory if the mission says fine arts)
  • "missions" from events and otherwise game generated must be pursued (border incidents, insults, etc), this includes cores at start and cores awarded must be conquered.
  • NO provinces may be sold or released, excepting the release of vassals and sale of later provinces to vassals, provided they have a core on the province.
  • Vassals may NOT be annexed, except when prompted by missions (e.g. "annex vassal" or "convert vassal"[if no other option available to convert them])
  • NO European provinces outside the British Isles may be held longer than strictly necessary - if the province has NO core, that means you get to keep it.. If it DOES have a core, you must do your utmost to make the country releasable (if the only core is of a non-vassal country, annex the country first before making it a vassal, unless that goes against missions, makes the country unreleasable or would remove the core). If it didn't have a core, but a country gains a core on the province, you can no longer keep the province.
  • No war without CB
  • No actively claiming thrones (diplomatically or spying) - but any such CB or War may be pursued (RMs are fine, if they end up giving you a PU or a war for a PU, they may be pursued)
  • You may not *offer* alliances to other countries, except vassals. Accepting is fine.
  • Above rules may not be circumvented by creative application of peace mechanisms (neither offer nor demand the giving up of cores, do not release vassals, etc.)
  • QftnW can be picked no sooner than idea #4.

Not particularly hard, but should provide some amusing results.

Name of the AAR: BYZAAR!

Start in 1399 as Venice, all standard, no lucky nations and low aggressiveness. You can set the game to hard if you want, but that is not the point, the point is fun.

Home rules: you stay a republic, always. You can change into other forms of republics, of course. You go full naval. You don't expand beyond the goals below and what is given to you from missions. You never go red on infamy. Yellow is ok, but only when strictly necessary. You are normally allowed within the green zone.

You should complete the following goals in the given order, but you can make small exceptions, like conquering provinces in Egypt (belongs to goal 2) in order to get the Thalassocracy (belongs to goal 1).

1st goal: enact the Stato da Mar and Thalassocracy decisions. That's your easy "get-to-know-the-country-before-twisting-it" warm-up. Remember, have fun.

2nd goal: form Byzanthium, of course. Which means that you have to change religion to orthodox, change primary culture to greek, and get yourself the required provinces. Oh, and kill off the pretendent guys in Costantinople. As Venice, you did it already once. This is your twisted path to your manifest destiny, have fun through it.

3rd goal: extend to plausible borders, meaning Anatolia, Greece, Bulgaria, Egypt, and the Roman bits of the Middle East. Grab Mecca, and the south of Italy including Rome. You can get yourself a land connection to the Shatt-el-Arab and plant your flag there, if it makes you tingly inside. Get the Pentarchy modifier and enact the Theme System decision. This is when you power up and feel good, but not yet crushing all opposition with your death star.

4th goal: then it strikes you, you are not the Empire, you are the Republic! You are the good guy! So the obvious thing to do is to colonize the North American continent, as well as Colombia and Venezuela for exclusive possession of your new pond, and move your capital there. A new beginning, a new hope. A new Rome, a new Capitol Hill. Relax and breathe, Anakin.

5th goal: you cleared your doubts about your identity, you are finally ready to do good. So you liberate people, right? First of all you rid yourself of your european and asian holdings, releasing vassals. BUT, you have to find a way to create orthodox Greece on the greek lands. Of course orthodox Ethiopia must rule the whole of the Nile. You have to liberate Italy, too, so you can conquer-and-gift the required provinces to your vassal. You can do what you want with the asian coast, have fun.

6th goal: since you are the Republic (and the roman republic to top it) you need to take care of your arch-enemy, the Empire! Disband the HRE and liberate it as you see artistically fit. It's done, you walked through the sixth fold path, you carved your name on the far end of the world!

Last edited:
1. Byzantium
2. 1399.10.10
3. Dismantled HRE, Do all missions, and can not accept white peaces.(unless the country is out of reach.)
4. Form the Old Roman Empire. I suggest make a decision like I did that changes your tag to it. Or just conquer all the land it had at one time.

Last edited:
How about...
1. A decently strong nation (how strong depends on your taste)
2. 1399.10.10
3. Rules: a.) do all missions. if you fail one, the game is lost. b.) win all wars. no wp, no loss. also auto-wp is not allowed; if that happens you lose. so if a nation is out of reach, you'd better fight or talk your way to it to defeat it.

"The Most Marvellous Indian Technology":
Become world technology leader while in the Indian/Chinese tech group.

I did this myself with Ryukyu and while it starts slow as you expect it can end up interesting as you're juggling opening markets, pacifying major trading partners and trying to stay alive while keeping yourself small enough to make up for the 2/2.5x tech costs (or you could go the huge empire route and build loads of post offices and customs houses and see if you could catch up in time).

Obviously the main rule is 'no westernising'.

Form France with an Indian nation. 1399 Start. No rules necessary.
Very open ended, not very detailed.

That doesn't sound that sensible.

Anyway how about a Vijayanagar to Hindustan AAR I don't think anyone has done one of those.

Vague
Bengals.
-
Form Persia ?

Vague

England;

start date - October 14th, 1399.

"restrictions/house rules"
  • Missions must be completed or automatically cancelled (so you MAY build a weapons manufactory if the mission says fine arts)
  • "missions" from events and otherwise game generated must be pursued (border incidents, insults, etc), this includes cores at start and cores awarded must be conquered.
  • NO provinces may be sold or released, excepting the release of vassals and sale of later provinces to vassals, provided they have a core on the province.
  • Vassals may NOT be annexed, except when prompted by missions (e.g. "annex vassal" or "convert vassal"[if no other option available to convert them])
  • NO European provinces outside the British Isles may be held longer than strictly necessary - if the province has NO core, that means you get to keep it.. If it DOES have a core, you must do your utmost to make the country releasable (if the only core is of a non-vassal country, annex the country first before making it a vassal, unless that goes against missions, makes the country unreleasable or would remove the core). If it didn't have a core, but a country gains a core on the province, you can no longer keep the province.
  • No war without CB
  • No actively claiming thrones (diplomatically or spying) - but any such CB or War may be pursued (RMs are fine, if they end up giving you a PU or a war for a PU, they may be pursued)
  • You may not *offer* alliances to other countries, except vassals. Accepting is fine.
  • Above rules may not be circumvented by creative application of peace mechanisms (neither offer nor demand the giving up of cores, do not release vassals, etc.)
  • QftnW can be picked no sooner than idea #4.

Not particularly hard, but should provide some amusing results.

Awesome! This exactly the kind of post I am looking for!

Name of the AAR: BYZAAR!

Start in 1399 as Venice, all standard, no lucky nations and low aggressiveness. You can set the game to hard if you want, but that is not the point, the point is fun.

Home rules: you stay a republic, always. You can change into other forms of republics, of course. You go full naval. You don't expand beyond the goals below and what is given to you from missions. You never go red on infamy. Yellow is ok, but only when strictly necessary. You are normally allowed within the green zone.

1st goal: enact the Stato da Mar and Thalassocracy decisions. That's your easy "get-to-know-the-country-before-twisting-it" warm-up. Remember, have fun.

2nd goal: form Byzanthium, of course. Which means that you have to change religion to orthodox, change primary culture to greek, and get yourself the required provinces. Oh, and kill off the pretendent guys in Costantinople. As Venice, you did it already once. This is your twisted path to your manifest destiny, have fun through it.

3rd goal: extend to plausible borders, meaning Anatolia, Greece, Bulgaria, Egypt, and the Roman bits of the Middle East. Grab Mecca, and the south of Italy including Rome. You can get yourself a land connection to the Shatt-el-Arab and plant your flag there, if it makes you tingly inside. Get the Pentarchy modifier and enact the Theme System decision. This is when you power up and feel good, but not yet crushing all opposition with your death star.

4th goal: then it strikes you, you are not the Empire, you are the Republic! You are the good guy! So the obvious thing to do is to colonize the North American continent, as well as Colombia and Venezuela for exclusive possession of your new pond, and move your capital there. A new beginning, a new hope. A new Rome, a new Capitol Hill. Relax and breathe, Anakin.

5th goal: you cleared your doubts about your identity, you are finally ready to do good. So you liberate people, right? First of all you rid yourself of your european and asian holdings, releasing vassals. BUT, you have to find a way to create orthodox Greece on the greek lands. Of course orthodox Ethiopia must rule the whole of the Nile. You have to liberate Italy, too, so you can conquer-and-gift the required provinces to your vassal. You can do what you want with the asian coast, have fun.

6th goal: since you are the Republic (and the roman republic to top it) you need to take care of your arch-enemy, the Empire! Disband the HRE and liberate it as you see artistically fit. It's done, you walked through the sixth fold path, you carved your name on the far end of the world!

This one too sounds very interesting. Very detailed, thank you.

1. Byzantium
2. 1399.10.10
3. Dismantled HRE, Do all missions, and can not accept white peaces.(unless the country is out of reach.)
4. Form the Old Roman Empire. I suggest make a decision like I did that changes your tag to it. Or just conquer all the land it had at one time.

little vague, and a bit over-done don't you think?
How about...
1. A decently strong nation (how strong depends on your taste)
2. 1399.10.10
3. Rules: a.) do all missions. if you fail one, the game is lost. b.) win all wars. no wp, no loss. also auto-wp is not allowed; if that happens you lose. so if a nation is out of reach, you'd better fight or talk your way to it to defeat it.

too vague.

I am looking for some nice, detailed games with specificities. The England and Venice/Byz games sounds quite fun.

A different idea then.
1. France
2. 1550.1.1
3. No rules.
4. Goal: swap France and Spain. So: you, France, has to own all historically Spanish provinces, and Spain has to own all historically French provinces.

A different idea then.
1. France
2. 1550.1.1
3. No rules.
4. Goal: swap France and Spain. So: you, France, has to own all historically Spanish provinces, and Spain has to own all historically French provinces.
That... is gloriously insane, and completely tops the idea I had (Start as Burgundy. Form, in order, the Netherlands, Prussia, Germany, and the Holy Roman Empire.)

1. Muscovy to Russia
2. 1399 start date
3. and 4.
* Expand quickly to get the provinces needed to form Russia by 1500
* You can only take provinces that Russia historically had. When it comes to eastern Europe you can still make them your vassals.
* Gain access to the Black Sea and the Baltic by 1550
* Stretch your Empire to the Pacific
* Stay at least 4 points into Serfdom the whole game and at least 3 into Aristocracy, as well as staying defensive and narrow-minded
* Colonize Alaska
* Do not westernize
* When fighting western nations later in the game you must win through defensive tactics (no invading western europe)
* You may NOT become a Republic

Should be a bit of challenge due to tech backwardness, and I know the dates are a little early for historical terms. But Should allow you to have a huge empire with loads of manpower, but your only way to fight the westerners will be with attrition and massive armies.

Start the game as France, release Normandy, then reload as Normandy, Conquer England and form England, then Conquer the British Isles and form Great Britain. Then Colonize the 13 colonies, Change your capital to one of those provinces (remember you have to move it to an isolated coastal province in Europe first.) You can start colonizing before you form Great Britain, but you must form it before you move your capital from Europe. Then, with your capital in America, Expand into all of the continental US. If you run out of time, you can skip the last sentence.

Start date: January 17, 1457

House rules: Go full serfdom, innovative, and quantity, never war with fellow Italians, QftNW must be taken as soon as possible, independence from those savages in Aragon must be gained as quickly as is possible.

Goals: After winning your independence, conquer India and form Hindustan(after switching cultures and religions of course), then release Naples as a vassal. You now have control of some very rich land, are completely westernized, and can now seek revenge on your arch rivals in the Orait Horde, who called your mother fat.

It is a great quest full of danger, are you up to it?

I have another Idea.

Golden Horde 1399 start.

You must conquer all of europe save the Islands and your muslim Brothers in faith in the Balkans until westernisation.

Then once you have reformed the government conquer the rest of Europe and wipe out Christianity

Denmark

Hard AI, High Aggressiveness, 1399 start

General Aims: reclaim and defend Denmark's place in the world

- Form Scandinavia
- Baltic should be a Danish lake once more (TO, Novgorod, Pommerania, Hansa)
- Conquer or vassalize Russia, Poland, Holland
- Become HRE
- Be a trading powerhouse, definitely controlling trade in Lubeck, Antwerpen, and beyond
- Be the only major Naval power - should dominate Great Britain, Portugal, Spain on the high seas
- Control as many tolls as possible - Bosphorus Toll, Straits of Gibraltar
- Naturally become the colonial power since you will be the only naval power. Set up trade with India
- Create a land connection to India and China

1399 Start as Byzantium.

Eventually Form Germany. Once this has happened, form Russia.

You must own Rome, Berlin (Brandenburg), Constantinople (Thrace) and Moscow (Moskvia I think it is).

This way, you would have been all the nations that claimed to be the descendants of the Roman Empire.