• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings friends, 'tis I, Doomdark, your faithful purveyor of hopes and dreams!

This month, I shall speak of those who know no loyalties and would shamelessly sell their services for money. No, I don't mean prostitutes. No, not politicians either. I am speaking, of course, of mercenaries! Brave, yet prudent, these companies of professional soldiers were the closest thing to standing armies around for much of the Crusader Kings II period. In the game, there are a number of predefined mercenary regiments that can be hired by anyone with sufficient funds (though not heathens and infidels - there are limits, even for soldiers of fortune.) As long as they get paid, they will fight loyally, and, unlike regular levies, they even reinforce, albeit slowly. They do not come cheap however, and woe to the lord who cannot pay their fee. At best, mercenaries who do not get paid will simply abandon their employer. At worst, they will defect to the enemy. Some disgruntled but enterprising condottieri might even attempt to seize land to call their own (as, for example, the Victual Brothers actually did with the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea.)

CrusaderKing2_DevDiary_09_01.png

Yes, mercenaries can seize territory, at which point they start acting like regular states. This brings us to the in may ways similar, but rather more pious, knightly orders. These humble soldiers of God can be hired not for gold, but for Piety. However, they will not fight brothers of the faith, and they will request ownership of the holdings that they seize (acceding is a very pious act). Landed mercenaries will retain their standing army, though it will no longer reinforce (eventually, it might thus be lost), and everyone will have a Casus Belli on them. Landed Holy Orders can still freely call on their main force, however. (If lost, they can raise it again through a special decision.) Similarly, the Byzantines have access to the Varangian Guard, which is treated much like a "vassal" mercenary force.

CrusaderKing2_DevDiary_09_02.png

Should a mercenary regiment or a Holy Order lose its last holding, it will return to being a landless entity available for hire.

CrusaderKing2_DevDiary_09_03.png

Here's a bonus screenie of what occupation looks like in the terrain map mode.

CrusaderKing2_DevDiary_09_04.png

That's all for now. Next month, plots and intrigue (unless I change my mind!)

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

As long as you control them, they will occupy settlements in your name.

Have you guys been reading out of "The Prince", cause Machiavelli was all over the place ranting right and left about how dangerous it is to rely Mercs :p

Shogun did that whole: AI built around Sun Tzu's Art of War.

I would let slip a giggle if PI branded CK2 with Machiavelli's "The Prince" (maybe include a nice copy of a Medieval stylized book in a collector's edition)

(not that I think it's all that great of a book)

The gameplay must be more important than map! CK2 is not a STW2.

Map is important, because 90% of gameplay is about how correct is map. Big correct map = good gameplay = big fun. This who say that map is not part of gameplay is just shor-view type. Maybe we just kick from game all small provinces? And make only one per kingdom? *irony* This will be your big gameplay? Crusader Kings is about medieval, age of feudalism and partipication. This is gameplay!

Argument about TW serie is irrational, because all time TW serie was junk about map - small number of provinces and limited in every way with borders from a**. Like for example map from Medieval 2: TW sux so bad that people cant play this without map mods. And stop saying "blablabla offtopic". ITS ABOUT TOPIC, before its to late. Before we get big great mechanic and no place to fun with that (small map without any logic).

Last edited:
Map is important, because 90% of gameplay is about how correct is map. Big correct map = good gameplay = big fun. This who say that map is not part of gameplay is just shor-view type. Maybe we just kick from game all small provinces? And make only one per kingdom? *irony* This will be your big gameplay? Crusader Kings is about medieval, age of feudalism and partipication. This is gameplay!

So if development team uses their 90% of time for CORRECTIVENESS (or how right it is dont know proper word right now) of map it is best for the game? Shor-view? Sorry not really good at english and dont understand what the word mean... AND how you think we want only one province per kingdom if we say that it isnt MOST important thing that map is correct at every level? Myself I dont complain even if provinces in Finland were wrongly named (they are at most of the Paradox games). AND how the hell you think this game is about a map? It is about characters,,, It could be good even without a proper map (only harder to make interesting)

Map stuff take less time than mechanic hard-code time. But is same important to have good gameplay. Because we get half complete product than one thing is good, and rest was forgotten.

First of all .. it is not half if you think the map = 90% .... secondly, this thread is NOT about the map and its correctiveness. If you have issues regarding the way the map looks then there is a DD about the map that you can post in (and that goes for everyone with map issues).

Please keep it on topic ...

If you HAVE to comment here, then comment on the Mercenaries and Religious Orders, as is the topic of the thread ... it is not really that hard.

So if development team uses their 90% of time for CORRECTIVENESS (or how right it is dont know proper word right now) of map it is best for the game? Shor-view? Sorry not really good at english and dont understand what the word mean... AND how you think we want only one province per kingdom if we say that it isnt MOST important thing that map is correct at every level? Myself I dont complain even if provinces in Finland were wrongly named (they are at most of the Paradox games). AND how the hell you think this game is about a map? It is about characters,,, It could be good even without a proper map (only harder to make interesting)

Paradox already claimed CK2 could be released at this point but instead we'll wait for 2012. So having a proper map in time for release should not be an issue if they value professionalism at all.

Have you guys been reading out of "The Prince", cause Machiavelli was all over the place ranting right and left about how dangerous it is to rely Mercs :p

. . .

(not that I think it's all that great of a book)

Well I think The Prince works for some things, but that might need a separate thread. There should be intrigue events to buy out mercenaries, as happened to Il Moro a generation after CK2 ends. A Valois always pays his debts. But mercenaries who are disloyal once should not be trusted too far, as we will see in the Renaissance expansion, right? To be a bit more germane temporally, trying to control the Catalan Company or the Free Companies should be a full-time job. Maybe as long as one of your dynasts or direct vassals leads the army, then there should be less chance of disloyalty. But hire several thousand mercenaries and send them against a weaker neighbor, and there should be some embarrassing events in that case.

I love how up in arms people get over the map. I guess it is because most of you are actually from Europe an know these "provinces" better than I. I really could not care as long as the borders are not really awkward, and the basic game mechanics work, I'm fine.

Well that and I'd wish that a Multi ducal title Duke wont be a micromanaging nightmare. Nothing more annoying than owning half of Castille or Russia, or "Germany" and having to have like 20 counts who decide every ten years to have a massive civil war! But that is not for this topic

Just think about the whacky map of the US in HOI3. Philadelphia is a coastal city in that game. :wacko::rofl:

Milord, shall we hear of plots and intrigues? The estates await your speech from the throne, Lord Doomdark :)

EDIT: But as a closing note on mercenaries, please, please make our hirable mercenary captains real characters in their patron's court, with their own ambitions, ability to serve on the council, etc.

Last edited:
Well, Swedish summer vacation starts this or next week normally, so I guess they are all out this month

well, they could have come out with a dev diary before they all went I think, evil planing on their part

Last edited:
Oh come on, it's one post and a few screenies, doesn't exactly take hours to produce.

It's summer. Perhaps they want to get some sun while it lasts.;) Patience, young padawan.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.