• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #92 - Companies

16_9.jpg
Hello and welcome back to a new round of Victoria 3 dev diaries! Today we’re going to be talking about Companies, a new free feature being added in the 1.5 update, which will be available to test and feedback on in the first version of the 1.5 open beta.

As we have previously mentioned, one of our major focuses for the 1.5 update is to improve the replayability and challenge in the core economic gameplay loop, and the main purpose of the Companies feature is to do just that by encouraging countries to specialize in certain industries and develop competitive advantages against other nations. Companies are also intended to add more flavor and differences in gameplay between different nations, as well as giving players more of a reason to care about prestige and their position in global national rankings.

Before I go into the nitty-gritty, I should mention that this dev diary is going to be focused mainly on the Companies feature in the form that will be available in the first open beta release, with a fairly narrow focus on achieving the above design goals for economic specialization, flavor and prestige. However, Companies is a feature that we consider to have near limitless potential for expanding on and hooking into more parts of the game, so I’ll wrap up the dev diary by mentioning some of the ideas we have for building on this feature in the future. Also, please note that this is very much a feature under development, so expect placeholder/WIP art, names, numbers and interfaces!

But enough preamble, let’s get into the details. Companies are national-level entities that are established by a country, with each country being able to support a certain number of companies based on factors such as technology and laws. The vast majority of countries will not start with the ability to support any companies, but will need to reach a certain level of society tech before their first company becomes available.

Each Company is associated with a certain set of building types, for example a Company specializing in metal mines might be associated with Iron Mines and Lead Mines, while a more agriculturally inclined company might instead be associated with certain types of plantations and/or farms.

To establish a company, you need to have the technology and resource potential to construct at least one of their associated building types - it’s currently possible to establish companies without having any of their associated buildings built, though this is something we will be actively looking for feedback from the open beta on how it feels, as it’s something of an immersion versus gameplay question. Flavored companies (more on those below) have other more specific requirements to be established in addition to these basic requirements.

A selection of potential candidates for Sweden’s first company: Combine of Fisheries and the United Forestry Conglomerate are immediately available, while the buildings of Wine & Fruit Inc are… not so suitable to the Swedish climate and hence will only be available if Sweden acquires some warmer lands with potential for those resources.
DD92_1.png

Once established, a Company will have effects on all buildings of their associated building type in their parent country. These effects are twofold: They increase the throughput of the buildings, as well as the construction efficiency when constructing new levels of the associated building types. The degree by which companies boost their associated buildings is partially scaled based on the Prestige ranking of their parent nation, with the 3rd-ranked nation gaining a larger boost than the 4th-ranked nation and so on. While somewhat abstracted, this is meant to represent competitive benefits the company enjoys from the international status of their home country. The purpose of this effect as a game mechanic is to give players a direct economic reason to care about their overall prestige ranking versus other nations.

It’s also worth noting that in conjunction with this change, we have increased the base construction cost of all buildings and, through the change to local pricing, somewhat lowered the base economic efficiency of most buildings. The overall intent is that the baseline economy should be less efficient, with companies allowing countries to make up the difference in select areas, providing the incentive for specialization and competitive advantages mentioned above. However, one exception to this is that base construction production was increased from 5 to 10 to ensure the baseline slowdown of construction did not make small nations entirely unviable to play.

While the majority of the construction efficiency increase from companies does not depend on your prestige ranking, Sweden’s relatively high placement on the global scoreboard does give its companies an additional edge.
DD92_2.png

Established Companies also have Productivity and Prosperity ratings. Productivity is simply the average Productivity (yearly average earnings per employee) of all its associated building levels. This is compared against the global average Productivity of all companies in the world, with companies that are doing better than average gaining Prosperity over time, and companies below a certain threshold (which is lower than the threshold for gaining Prosperity) losing it instead.

If a Company reaches 100 Prosperity, its Prosperity modifier will activate, granting a company-specific bonus to its parent nation. This is intended to add an additional dimension to the selection of companies - do you simply want to focus on whatever resources are going to be most profitable for your nation, or aim to build up a specific industry for the bonuses it can give you? As an example, a player that is planning to play a particularly aggressive campaign may want to focus on building up an arms-industry related Company for the military advantages it can grant.

The Agricultural Development Society is doing well enough compared to other companies that its Prosperity is increasing, which will please the Rural Folk once Prosperity hits 100.
DD92_3.png

As we hinted at earlier in the dev diary, Companies come in two varieties: Standard and Flavored. Standard Companies are ones that are available to all nations unless replaced by a Flavored Company, while Flavored Companies tend to be restricted to a certain culture and/or geographical region. For example, a North German nation that owns certain parts of the Rhineland will have certain historical German companies available to them.

Flavored companies are mostly historical (but not always, as sometimes we have to go a bit alt-history), with a set of building types based around their real-life historical business focuses, and tend to have stronger or more interesting prosperity bonuses than the standard companies. Flavored companies may sometimes replace very similar Standard companies, but this is the exception rather than the rule, most Flavored companies do not replace Standard companies.

Alright, that’s the general gist of what Companies will look like when you first get your hands on it in the 1.5 open beta. As I mentioned at the beginning though, there is a lot of places we envision taking this feature in the future, so here are a few examples of that, though you definitely shouldn’t expect all of this be in scope for the 1.5 update:
  • Having companies ‘level up’ beyond just a single prosperity bonus, possibly in a way that ties into diplomacy/rank and replaces the current company bonuses from prestige
  • Having pops, specific buildings in specific states, Interest Groups, and/or characters more directly associated with Companies instead of them just being a national-level entity
  • Companies having political and/or geopolitical ambitions (for example, a certain fruit-company might wish to create some, ahem, fruit-focused republics)
  • Multinational companies that aren’t limited to a single country

I’ll sign off by leaving you a bonus screenshot of the first companies added to the game in the earliest iteration of the feature. Sadly, neither Björnmetall nor Martin’s Fish Tank Emporium will be available in the 1.5 version of the game.
DD92_4.png
That’s all for today! Join us again next week as we go over what other additions changes you can expect to be coming in the 1.5 open beta, with a particular focus on the military. See you then!

• 125Like
  • 70Love
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.
It's great that you're listening to the community by de-emphasizing state intervention (very important, but not quite to the level presented in Victoria 3), in favor of representing some of the dynamism provided by private enterprise, as well as making sure to allow public testing first.

Are Prosperity bonuses only approval and faction clout based, or are there some which provide direct economic benefits? I think it would be nice if patronizing the Small Arms or Aeronautics industries provided a bonus to Military research, for example.
Prosperity bonuses can affect almost anything, by providing country modifiers! Research speed in different categories will definitely be one thing companies can provide.
Welcome back! The placeholder designer is rivaling my skills with paint. Great idea to bring up companies and the design goals are on point.

I am only looking forward the implementation and how it plays out. The open beta is such a good idea to test it !!
I asked specially to have it included, I have a soft spot for martins_fish_tank_emporium
Good afternoon,awesome changes and can't wait to try them in the Open Beta.This will add a lot of flavor.However,i have a few questions:
1)How moddable this company system will be?Can we add or substract prosperity via modifiers for example?
2)Can we rename the companies through modding,for example to have companies names of the Real World(which won't be in vanilla for obvious reasons)?
Thanks for any replies about this.
We won't have Prosperity modifiers at beta launch, but feel free to request it during the Open Beta and we'll see if we have time to get to it!

Companies themselves will of course be fully moddable. We _will_ actually add historical real-world companies in the game where IP law allows us to do so. We're also looking into custom renaming in-game, so you can name your companies what you like instead of the default name provided.
In which version of the game will Fish Tanks be available?
The modded one :D

Also, thoughts on companies dedicating a section of their profits to elements of the economy that they rely on, if fiscally feasible?
Definitely something we want to explore in the future, but not for 1.5. Great idea though!
This is really cool. Will there be multiple companies in the same industry? That would simulate competition in the same industry (like Ford vs General Motors in the automobile industry).
Yes. Longer-term we intend on making Companies in the same "field" operate differently under different economic systems, so you can only have 1 per field in a Command Economy, there's diminishing returns for "stacking" them under Intervention, and there's less diminishing returns under Laissez-Faire, for example.
So there was mention of the 1.5 Open Beta, but we're not even at patch 1.4 yet. Can any information be spared?
1.5 Open Beta will be dropping the same time as Update 1.4, we will be sharing more information on this soon (tm).
Will the company system affect the pops? For example I think there should be one single capitalist pop for all buildings under a company instead of having different capitalists pops for every building.
Not for 1.5, but this is something we're looking into for the next release after that.
How does local price affect import/export of goods? Or it always looks at market price?
Import and export is always done on market level.
Great addition, how do you intend to reflect companies asking for diplomatic goals? This was a huge thing in this era of state and private cooperation. For example how would a mining company request from or even pressure the state to take land in Africa? Will it be tied to IGs? Perhaps IG agendas?
For the time being at least, we're exploring an Aspiration system for this that basically unlocks another ability for the Company if you complete the condition. More of a carrot than stick approach, in a way. More demands-driven mechanics is on our radar but not scheduled for any currently planned update.
So there was mention of the 1.5 Open Beta, but we're not even at patch 1.4 yet. Can any information be spared?
We shared most of the new improvements for 1.4 in DD #91 already, if you want to go back and read that. But most of our new features are going into 1.5 where they will be tuned during Open Beta.
Will the autonomous investment AI take existing companies into account if deciding what to build? On the one hand I dont want to build everything myself if i switch it off, on the other hand i dont want the AI to build nonsensical things ad infinitum. Being able to guide and restrict what will be built by the autonomous investment pool by creating companies would in my opinion be a good solution for it. This way a player could guide in what direction the investments and building capacity should go without having to build everything themselves.
Yes, autonomous investment will prioritize constructing buildings you have Companies for.

Flavoured companies sounds like the Wonder thing all again. Why again bind some effects to a certain tag? Why should prussia be inherently be better at weapons manufacturers just because it is prussia? Any country should be able to create all type of companies. The success of a company should depend on the game circumstances and should not be predetermined. Flavoured companies should just be a pure cosmetic name only thing. Or if they stay i would want a game setting that disables them like it can be done for wonders.
I hear this concern, but since the flavored Companies are historical, it'd just be weird to see "Rheinmetall" show up in Lanfang.

However, much like we did with Monuments, it's very possible for us to add. game rule that makes all Companies available to everyone, or remove all flavored Companies. I'll put that on the to-do list.

Related question. Will we be able to (re)name our companies freely, while the game suggests a historic option?
We're looking into exactly this!
Will companies remain active after switching to Council Republic, or will they be abolished?
We are looking into laws in general and how they affect Companies. For the first release of the open beta, they won't have a huge impact yet (so your companies will persist for now). But over the course of the beta up until release we want to adjust that.
I don’t need to wait the Open Beta to say, that players will say that Companies should start as state based entity with ability to expand to other regions and only after this to become nationwide entity
So why you didn’t make it like this in the first place?
We need to start somewhere and need to assign our resources wisely. As you may well know there's tons of other stuff coming to 1.5 (Military and such). That doesn't mean it's off the table forever, just that it's not going to be in the first version that we work on.
Companies growing over time is definitely an interesting idea which we will think about more in the future.
Would that be connected with AI strategies? Meaning if the country has a certain Aspiration to build, say, dye plantations, the AI nation would prioritize states with dye production?
Yes, if we get around to introduce the Ambition/Aspiration system, AI strategies would surely be influenced by that. But as mentioned, we're not releasing Companies with that for this Open Beta release. We hope to get there at a later stage.
This seems like an interesting addition and I hope it works out, I have a small dose of scepticism surrounding:

1. At least some historical companies will be essentially hardcoded unique "cultural" bonuses, which is something that I have an inherent dislike of from years of EU4 silliness

2. I find it hard to imagine a design space where, let's say, a mining company and a fruit company are equally desirable. Hopefully you'll manage to square this circle, but I can envision the "best" companies being the ones which support the stuff everyone wants to do already - coal, iron, steel, wood.
We will have to keep an eye on how it feels. Right now, we feel like it's a good starting point with lots of room for growth for later releases.
Same is true for the balance between the different companies. Some imbalance is fine and really not a big problem. But of course we will strive to keep it within a reasonable range.
Thanks for voicing your concern though! They are valid points.
Maybe you said it and I missed it, but will companies own specific buildings, for example Standard Oil would own the oil fields in Kansas and Texas, but not the ones in Nebraska, or is it where the company's ownership is abstracted away and Standard Oil is benefiting from all oil fields in the country?
No, to clarify because I've seen it a couple of times in this thread:
In this release of the open beta (and probably also not with the release of 1.5), Companies do NOT own specific buildings. Rather, they affect whole sectors of buildings, e.g. ALL steel mills in your country.
Of course we had the same thought about making specific buildings attached to Companies but it's a lot more complicated to setup. So for now, they're not but we will investigate in the future what we can and want to do there (if anything).
I've seen the proposal to rename the category from "buildings" to "sectors" and I think that's a good idea to improve the perception of the feature. Thank you!

Is there something like a company headquarters that you can build in a specific state?
Not at this point, but it's a thought we had as well. Maybe in the future.
That's the nice thing about companies - there's no shortage of ideas what one can do with them.
Given 1.5 will have more focus on economy , are you guys considering expanding the array of outputs and inputs of the factories? For instance. Instead of having glasswork consume oil when using PM plastics, chemical industries will consume oil to generate plastics and then plastics will be consumed by factories and pops.
There are currently no plans for 1.5 that would go in that direction.
PLEASE make the names dynamic, especially based on states in your country or a name from a generated character.

EDIT:
Would be cool if something like "Khuzestan Oil Co." forms based on good in that state, or "Jackson Steel" based on random name.
We will investigate this, but it's definitely not coming with the first release of the beta. But I've taken a note to take a closer look.
While I love this feature Im not sure about companies (or rather conglomerates since it seems those are no simple companies) being a state based activity. It would be far more interesting to have these companies arise naturally. By simply tying the spawning chance for a X type of a company to existing buildings and their profitability it would still allow the player to influence what companies are created and make it so that this whole mechanic is far more reactive to what is actually happening in the world. So say if one decided to build a economy heavily focused on coal extraction and build quite a lot of profitable coal mines that would almost guarantee that a coal related company would arise. That would still leave space for state owned companies so companies created by the players themselves. The player could then use one of their company slots to instead create their own state owned company and pick exactly which type they want to create. Of course both of these should depend on what laws are in play so say a laissez-faire law should either make it impossible to create new state-owned companies or at least make it very hard to do and limit their number. I think that would be a far more interesting system to engage with compared to the player just being able to completely customise what companies are created in their country. The creation of autonomous investment and other mechanics intended to make the game feel more alive were a good direction and Im somewhat concerned that these companies are taken in the opposite direction.

We've talked about making Companies appear more "naturally" and we're still investigating options there.
For the first release of the open beta it's not going to happen though.

Furthermore two questions:
In the current system how will companies interact with economic and other laws?
There are already ownership methods for buildings will those interact at all with companies? So for example would companies not affect guild owned buildings or be available only for buildings with public stock ownership?
As mentioned before on laws: We will add more differences between laws in their relation to Companies in the future, not for the first release though.
On the ownership methods: Currently there's no impact. We'll see if we want to change that going forward.

And one more suggestion:
Would it be possible to make companies employ a certain number of capitalists which would take away a portion of the profits of all buildings associated with the company for themselves? It would be a interesting way to represent stock owners and since the company would now have its own pops with certain wealth it could perhaps enable expanding the mechanic in the future to say make companies able to invest or acquire assets autonomously?
Might be possible, but we haven't investigated it very far. Maybe we will take another look at that in the future, not for the open beta though most likely.
Additionally, Can companies be broken up?
Yes, in the first release it is actually way too easy to do so. That is NOT the intention going forward. You should be able to get rid of a company, but only under certain circumstances or with pretty big penalties. How they will look like I cannot tell you right now as we need to invest more time into designing these.

Do companies influence IGs at all? ie will trade unions look for breaking up monopolies suppresses wages, industrialists looking for government support of their companies etc.
Not at this point. Maybe in the future.

You state that Flavored Companies tend to be restricted to a certain culture and/or geographical region. I am assuming that Rheinmetall is regionally restricted. Can you give an example of what you would call a culturally restricted company?
The "Egyptian National Railways" is a historic company which would be culturally restricted. But since it's more of a country-wide administration kind of thing, we're likely not going to add a specific state that you need to own to found that one for example, whereas Rheinmetall will require you to own (well you guessed it) the Rheinland.

What keeps tying company bonuses to prestige/rank from becoming a winmore mechanic? The economic snowball is already rolling fast, I feel greasing the slope is a bit overkill. It also seems like that will eventually conflict with any future system for multi-national companies.
We'll need to keep an eye on how that feels. It's a great opportunity for something to adjust during open beta based on player feedback.

A general note on historic/flavored companies:
They won't be in the first release of the Open Beta. That is because we're planning to add quite a large number of them and it will simply take more time to get them in.
We're hoping to get them in for the first update during Open Beta, so probably sometime in September.
We'll keep you up-to-date on it of course.

Last edited:
It's great that you're listening to the community by de-emphasizing state intervention (very important, but not quite to the level presented in Victoria 3), in favor of representing some of the dynamism provided by private enterprise, as well as making sure to allow public testing first.

Are Prosperity bonuses only approval and faction clout based, or are there some which provide direct economic benefits? I think it would be nice if patronizing the Small Arms or Aeronautics industries provided a bonus to Military research, for example.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Good afternoon,awesome changes and can't wait to try them in the Open Beta.This will add a lot of flavor.However,i have a few questions:
1)How moddable this company system will be?Can we add or substract prosperity via modifiers for example?
2)Can we rename the companies through modding,for example to have companies names of the Real World(which won't be in vanilla for obvious reasons)?

• 8Like
Reactions:
Welcome back! The placeholder designer is rivaling my skills with paint. Great idea to bring up companies and the design goals are on point.

I am only looking forward the implementation and how it plays out. The open beta is such a good idea to test it !!

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:

Prosperity bonuses can affect almost anything, by providing country modifiers! Research speed in different categories will definitely be one thing companies can provide.

• 21Like
Reactions:
Sadly, neither Björnmetall nor Martin’s Fish Tank Emporium will be available in the 1.5 version of the game.

In which version of the game will Fish Tanks be available?

Also, thoughts on companies dedicating a section of their profits to elements of the economy that they rely on, if fiscally feasible?

• 8Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:

I asked specially to have it included, I have a soft spot for martins_fish_tank_emporium

• 16Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
We won't have Prosperity modifiers at beta launch, but feel free to request it during the Open Beta and we'll see if we have time to get to it!

Companies themselves will of course be fully moddable. We _will_ actually add historical real-world companies in the game where IP law allows us to do so. We're also looking into custom renaming in-game, so you can name your companies what you like instead of the default name provided.

• 16Like
  • 11Love
Reactions:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This is really cool. Will there be multiple companies in the same industry inside your country? That would simulate competition in the same industry (like Ford vs General Motors in the automobile industry).

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great addition, how do you intend to reflect companies asking for diplomatic goals? This was a huge thing in this era of state and private cooperation. For example how would a mining company request from or even pressure the state to take land in Africa? Will it be tied to IGs? Perhaps IG agendas?

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I like what I'm seeing. Should allow nice synergies with the local pricing system, so it should matter a lot more now where to built.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Can you let us in on a few of the historical companies that have made it into the game? FIAT for Italian motor industries, Standard Oil for US oil rigs, Mauser for German Arms Industries, etc.?

Also, does council republic/command economy disable the companies mechanic? Would be a major thing to consider that could deter the Communist Utopia playstyle.

Reactions:
Will the company system affect the pops? For example I think there should be one single capitalist pop for all buildings under a company instead of having different capitalists pops for every building.

Reactions:
It seems there is no competition between companies and they have the monopoly in your nation, is that the case?

Will it be possible to have competing companies in the same sector in your nation? They will bid for resources and manpower. Or become an oligopoly where they increase profits for themselves by keeping up prices.

There is so much to simulate about companies than reducing them to monopolies. But as a first step is great.

• 9Like
Reactions:
This is really cool. Will there be multiple companies in the same industry? That would simulate competition in the same industry (like Ford vs General Motors in the automobile industry).
Yes. Longer-term we intend on making Companies in the same "field" operate differently under different economic systems, so you can only have 1 per field in a Command Economy, there's diminishing returns for "stacking" them under Intervention, and there's less diminishing returns under Laissez-Faire, for example.

• 41Love
  • 15Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: