• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #214: Announcing “The Custodians” initiative and the free Lem Update

Greetings!

Today I am here to announce some very good news! Stellaris is not slowing down, but rather picking up the pace! We at PDS Green are very happy to announce our new “Custodians” initiative as well as the next free update, coming sometime after summer.

The Custodian Team
Stellaris as a game has been very exploratory, and the game has seen a lot of big changes over the years. I want to start by giving some insight into why we’ve chosen to focus on this initiative.

As we’ve released more expansions we’ve had to take longer and longer between each release, as we’ve needed to spend more time on focusing on quality, making sure each release is as stable as possible. Paradox Development Studio also looks very different today vs. how it looked just a few years ago. Things take longer, there are more processes in place, and there are a lot more people involved. Because each release is now further apart, it makes it harder for us to address some of the outstanding issues that might be affecting the community between DLC releases.

As we’ve added more content it's also been harder to polish and maintain all of the amazing existing content that we’ve added over the years. We want to keep creating new cool experiences for Stellaris, but we also want to be able to maintain a high quality for the base game itself, and for older content.

What we have done now is that we’ve staffed up, and split the Stellaris team into two teams that focus on different aspects of the game. One team, that we call “the Custodians” team, will focus on free updates that we aim to release every 3 months, while the “expansion team” will focus on creating new content for the game.

Examples of what “The Custodians” could be working on:
  • Tweaking game balance
  • Adding new content to old DLC
  • Polishing existing content
  • Bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • AI improvements
  • Multiplayer stability
  • UI and quality-of-life improvements

This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.

What “The Custodians” initiative is not
It is very important that you understand that “The Custodians” initiative is no magic bullet or quick fix. We’re in this for the long run, and we hope you are too.

We will need to manage our expectations and small, incremental improvements with more regular updates should be our approach.

Honoring Stanislaw Lem
The first free Update, the Lem Update, will be named in honor of the Polish sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem, whose 100th anniversary is being celebrated this year. Stanislaw Lem is famous for works such as Solaris, which has already inspired the Stellaris you know today. The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

To set expectations more clearly, the Lem Update will be a bit more ambitious and larger in scope compared to what you can come to expect from “Custodian” updates in the future. The reason is that we’ve had a longer time to work on it than what is planned for future updates. It’s also important to note that as of now, the Lem update is scheduled to be a standalone free update, and will not be associated with a paid DLC.

The Lem Update planned features:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

We will go into more detail about these features in future dev diaries, but for now I will leave it at that. We’ll be back next week to talk a bit about some thoughts regarding game balance.

1622707516974.png

No longer will your empire have to suffer the mediocrity of artisans.

• 498Love
  • 260Like
Reactions:
Exactly so. To be effective, we can't have the Custodians showered with all kinds of balance feedback, suggestions or requests for improvements. If we could get to a place where the community can discuss those issues among yourselves and come up with a prioritized list its easier. I'd really want to be able to have some sort of voting for issues, similar to how Minecraft has an open issue log. We're not quite yet there tho, so we'll need to together figure out how to proceed.
what you want is sounding more and more like the voting system in the galactic community. now we only need an equivalance for diplomatic weight to bring the most wanted ideas to the top and maybe one for influence, to slow down how quickly new ideas can be added

• 12Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

Today I am here to announce some very good news! Stellaris is not slowing down, but rather picking up the pace! We at PDS Green are very happy to announce our new “Custodians” initiative as well as the next free update, coming sometime after summer.

The Custodian Team
Stellaris as a game has been very exploratory, and the game has seen a lot of big changes over the years. I want to start by giving some insight into why we’ve chosen to focus on this initiative.

As we’ve released more expansions we’ve had to take longer and longer between each release, as we’ve needed to spend more time on focusing on quality, making sure each release is as stable as possible. Paradox Development Studio also looks very different today vs. how it looked just a few years ago. Things take longer, there are more processes in place, and there are a lot more people involved. Because each release is now further apart, it makes it harder for us to address some of the outstanding issues that might be affecting the community between DLC releases.

As we’ve added more content it's also been harder to polish and maintain all of the amazing existing content that we’ve added over the years. We want to keep creating new cool experiences for Stellaris, but we also want to be able to maintain a high quality for the base game itself, and for older content.

What we have done now is that we’ve staffed up, and split the Stellaris team into two teams that focus on different aspects of the game. One team, that we call “the Custodians” team, will focus on free updates that we aim to release every 3 months, while the “expansion team” will focus on creating new content for the game.

Examples of what “The Custodians” could be working on:
  • Tweaking game balance
  • Adding new content to old DLC
  • Polishing existing content
  • Bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • AI improvements
  • Multiplayer stability
  • UI and quality-of-life improvements

This does not mean that the game will suddenly “be fixed” or done (whatever that means). Together with you, the community, we now have a better opportunity than ever to keep improving the game. In fact, I think working with the community is going to be crucial to really make this work well. We are going to need to improve how we communicate with each other, so that we can better understand each other.

What “The Custodians” initiative is not
It is very important that you understand that “The Custodians” initiative is no magic bullet or quick fix. We’re in this for the long run, and we hope you are too.

We will need to manage our expectations and small, incremental improvements with more regular updates should be our approach.

Honoring Stanislaw Lem
The first free Update, the Lem Update, will be named in honor of the Polish sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem, whose 100th anniversary is being celebrated this year. Stanislaw Lem is famous for works such as Solaris, which has already inspired the Stellaris you know today. The Lem Update is currently scheduled for release sometime after summer.

To set expectations more clearly, the Lem Update will be a bit more ambitious and larger in scope compared to what you can come to expect from “Custodian” updates in the future. The reason is that we’ve had a longer time to work on it than what is planned for future updates. It’s also important to note that as of now, the Lem update is scheduled to be a standalone free update, and will not be associated with a paid DLC.

The Lem Update planned features:
  • Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
  • Selectable Traditions Trees: You will no longer be locked to the same 7 tradition trees, but you will instead have 7 slots that can be filled with a tradition tree of your choice. The number of tradition trees will be expanded, and previous tradition-tree swaps will be broken out into their own trees (Adaptability will no longer be a swap of Diplomacy for example). Some new tradition trees will also be added to existing DLCs.
  • Balance Pass: We will be doing a balance pass on some existing gameplay systems and features.
  • And more..!: Quality of life improvements, bug fixes, AI improvements...

We will go into more detail about these features in future dev diaries, but for now I will leave it at that. We’ll be back next week to talk a bit about some thoughts regarding game balance.

View attachment 727351
No longer will your empire have to suffer the mediocrity of artisans.
If you have two development teams working separately what will be done to ensure their work doesn't conflict and the two teams communicate? Does each team have its own QA resources or do they test separately? I would think two separate teams is a recipe for bugs and design issues if they do not closely collaborate.

To be clear I like the ideas behind this arrangement, I'm just concerned about the potential management headache.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you have two development teams working separately what will be done to ensure their work doesn't conflict and the two teams communicate? Does each team have its own QA resources or do they test separately? I would think two separate teams is a recipe for bugs and design issues if they do not closely collaborate.
Will there be someone there to keep the communication going between the teams?

My hope is that the community and the Custodians can have a good dialogue and together figure out what is good to fix. We also need to set the proper expectations.
Meaning "We won't blindly add these changes to the game but we'll ask you if they're good changes" I guess?
Understandable for balance and AI changes. But for plain bug fixes like 90% of Ariphaos patch, they should be directly forwarded to devs/QA.

wait a 1-2 years, and the "custodian team" will start to talk big about pace and prosperity for the paradox game industry , and the inevitable decision of the istitution of the Paradox Empire .

• 10Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I'd still like if AI hit the 'could make a fight' level before it needs to figure out more things, though I do like the tradition tree ideas from a rp perspective.

Buffing the Backlog: We’re reviewing some old DLC to revitalize them with some new content. Humanoids Species Pack and Plantoids Species Packs will now feature some new gameplay features. By the way, did anyone say Necrophage Hive Minds?
This alone is enough to make me happy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a part of these updates, please...

Optimize the species menu

Give us a means to focus automatic pop resettlement to a single or select few worlds.

Let us rearrange our fleets like we currently do with planets

Have defense platform groups update in a manner similar to fleet so we aren't spammed with notifications. Also, instead of having them be destroyed in battle, just have them be disabled like their stations.

Give us an army manager, that allows us to build armies and assign them homewards that be responsible for keeping reinforced.
Or/and
Turn the current army system into a reserves systems where planets with a strong hold or military academy, generate assault armies that can be called upon when needed and sent home to rest when not. An army manager could allow us to set the general composition ratio of each force. (40% general Infantry, 20% mechanized armor, 20% air support, 10% Psionic).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
This is excellent news. My main source of frustration with stellaris is not the lack of new content, but the fact that some base mechanics and old content doesn't work very well.

Here is a list of things that I personally would consider important:
-> "Contruction complete"-notifications. I know that a lot of people don't like them, but the absence of these is one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to play stellaris right now. I don't want to *constantly* scan the outliner all the time. Please give me the option to have these notifications again. And be sure to actually make it optional, so that people with a different playstyle don't have to hear them.
-> Consider adding higher difficulties than grand admiral, or even better: Improve the AI on grand admiral to the point where they can keep up at least into the midgame. The exploration phase of stellaris continues to be the best part, and while federations and nemesis did add a lot of content for the mid- and lategame, it still isn't very interesting when no AI empire can compete by that time.
-> Consider rebalancing the output of miners and technicians. Currently, you can get more minerals from having a technician and buying minerals from that energy than it is to have a miner. In my personal opinion, farmers, miners and technicians should each just produce 5 of their repective resources, instead of 6/4/6 like it is now. Or just reduce technician output to 5 and keep farmers and miners as they are.
-> Consider buffs to some of the weaker ethics. In my opinion, these are pacifist, spiritualist and militarist. Arguably also egalitarian, since utopian abundance has never been good, but is *very* weak since the pop rework.
-> Allow different robot species to be merged, so that our species list isn't cluttered with 17 different but mechanically identical robot templates.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:

To be clear I like the ideas behind this arrangement, I'm just concerned about the potential management headache.
There is a QA subteam dedicated to the Custodians work, but they still are part of the general Stellaris QA team headed up by myself.

We've thought long and hard about this, communication won't be an issue :)

• 51Like
Reactions: