• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #109 - 2.0 Post-Release Support (part 2)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. As mentioned in last dev diary, we are still in full post-release support mode and until we are ready to get back to regular feature dev diaries, we're not going to have full-length dev diaries. Instead, we'll use the dev diaries to highlight certain fixes or tweaks coming in the rolling 2.0.2 beta update that we feel need highlighting. All the changes listed below will be coming in the next 2.0.2 update, which we expect to have with you soon.

Species Rights Changes
Both in order to fix some bugs caused by traits that alter species identity (such as Psionic ascension path traits), and to expand player freedom, we've made some changes to species rights. There are no longer any traits that cause a species to be considered entirely distinct from its parent species, so a Psionic or Hive-Minded Human pop is still considered to be a subspecies of Human. As it would then no longer make sense for all Human subspecies to share the same rights, we've added the ability to set rights for subspecies, so you can have, for example, different levels of military service and living standards for different subspecies of the same species living in your empire. However, there will still be certain restrictions for subspecies of your primary species, so if your empire is Human, you will not be able to purge a Human subspecies unless that subspecies has been majorly altered (such as being turned into Hive-Minded humans)
2018_03_22_3.png

Food Trading & Negative Food Spirals
We've had a bunch of feedback on AI and player problems with ending up in negative food spirals where a lack of food would cause starvation, reducing happiness and causing unrest, which would reduce food production, making starvation worse and creating a vicious cycle. To address this we've made a couple of changes. First of all, unrest and low happiness no longer reduce food production (they still reduce food from processing/livestock, as that represents the pops fighting back against being eaten). Secondly, we've improved the AI's understanding of food trading, so that it should heavily prioritize trading for food when in starvation. Finally, for those with Leviathans, we've added the ability to trade Minerals/Energy for Food and vice versa with the Trader Enclaves.
2018_03_21_1.png

New Marauder Events
In order to make it less of a pure loss prospect to start near Marauders, we've added some positive events that can only fire if your empire is bordering Marauders. These benefits might include gaining resources, pops, free ships and leaders, or temporary buffs to the effectiveness of your fleets.
2018_03_22_1.png

Occupation Armies
Since the army rework in 2.0, it's become significantly easier to snipe back planets that were recently taken by the enemy, as these planets lack a garrison to defend them. For this reason, we've implemented a new type of army type called Occupation Armies. When a planet is occupied, the occupier now spawns a garrison force of these Occupation Armies (the exact type varying depending on species just as with defense armies). Unless destroyed by battle or bombardment, the garrison force remains until the planet is either annexed or reverts to the owner's control.

Weapon Range Modifier
Since this is a topic that keeps coming up (because the way weapon range is implemented in the code is extremely complex and there is no one single weapon range modifier bug to fix, but a bunch of different places where it has to be hooked in correctly), I just wanted to mention that we've done some additional fixes, and believe that the modifier should now be fully functional. We've also implemented a separate ship_modifier entry for ship sizes that can be used to apply certain modifiers (such as firing rate and weapon range) that do not work in the regular ship_size modifier (as that modifier is applied to the ship design, and not the ship itself).

That's all for now! Remember that these are just a selection of tweaks/fixes, and there are many more that were not listed here but will be included in the patch notes when we next update 2.0.2. See you next week!

I don't consider this one as a bug, but just missed out so i'd like to ask for a QoL change in this case:

Amalgamated pops in machine empires (didn't test for hiveminds, but i think it's the same) don't need a building to do their "job", either they won't work any building at all, so every building to fill these tiles is a waste of minerals. So, when left on an empty tile i collect their energy, but still trigger the "pop living on empty tile"-icon in the outliner.
Could we get some cheap(?) building (Bio Energy Processors/Free-Range Power Plants?) only those pops can work to collect their ressources? Or some other solution to get rid of that reminder icon on actually "fully developed" planets?

i would actually love if occupation armies also have to be built by attacker beforehand, or use attack armies to create them.

it would add a bit imho if a conqueror has to plan out bringing along his occupation armies. they should be responsible for the purging, the securing of the planet, rebuilding, etc. and could have different strengths.
mechanic armies could have the upside of being usable for both - as they afaik have the downside of slightly less combat strength.

i have played quite a few multiplayer games by now, and really, the side making the offensive usually has a lot better cards in everything. repairing ships? we'll do it in the station we captured while the war is still going. restocking? all there. armies? just bring one blob big enough, we will reuse it at every planet.

i am a bit sad, that all you can play in mp by now are mineral focused empires pushing out corvette spams. i also dont see small quick wars with little gain as much anymore, except the broken forced peace of 201. in the past, you could at least liberate border systems to create a nice buffer. so far i see a lot of changes are good, but i am a bit disappointed about the state of mp games.

--

great news however for food and species management. truly, that will be a nice addition for managing internal structure, and also, add food focus as an option.

Those are some nice changes & additions. :) Next update next week, then? Or are you going to take a break for Easter? :D

Does the subspecies rights reorganization also afffect modified ascended synths? I have noticed recently, that Ghost Signal cripples my post-biological ascended synths by -70 percent production even after solving the infiltration project (although post-biologicals are supposed to be not affected). I suppose it might be because I have modified the species (reduced upkeep and added science produciton and renaming them).

The range it stops at is decided by what computer you pick, not by what weapons you pick.

But is it possible to have a tooltip for the computers that say short range is X units, medium is Y units and Long is Z units. Currently as far as I know there is no way to know if the weaon I choose will even be in range with a specified computer.

Hi just wanted to say thanks. I know you probably are already annoyed with fixing bugs we report (and every single person feels that his bug is the most gamebreaking and needs immediate help), especially that many people were not satisfied with 2.0 for various reasons. However I'm one of the people who didn't really enjoy stellaris before 2.0 and loves it now. Of course there are some annoying bugs but considering the scope of the update it couldn't have been helped as it's basically a rework of basic game mechanics at this point.

So yeah, thanks for this hard work from me, as you've changed Stellaris from game which was fine but I didn't want to play to game which I love. Hope you are not discouraged by whiners reception of the changes itself as well as bugs, because every change causes some people to be dissatisfied. They have their rights but from my point of view, as 2.0 made Stellaris way more fun, I hope they are only a minority and won't affect the course which game has taken.

See you in space!

This... I have no words, this is just... just... BEAUTIFUL!

@Wiz plz consider my suggestion of adding a way to remove other empire's claims on our empire, as of now it's impossible to have a loyal vassal/tributary cuz of their claims on my sytems. I suggest

a. Add "Humiliate" diplomacy option that works just like the FE's humiliate event, and maybe grant Humiliate CB for a year if the enemy refuses, and make this available for use against vassals, so that if they refuse, the overlord can wage a war of humiliation/re-subjugation on them.

b. Add a peaceful way of removing claims, maybe by spending influence or unity? Right now the only option is to integrate the entire subject, but not all players want to do that. Myself for example am not that "land greedy" and often prefer to leave a lot of systems in the hands of my vassals/tributaries, so integrating the entire subject is quite wasteful for me.

Democratic Crusaders (Fanatic Egalitarian and Militarist combo) are more or less broken in 2.0. In order to use liberation wars against authoritarian empires (this is pretty much their whole concept), they have to use Liberation Wars policy, which makes their major militarist faction hate their ruler's guts for not using unrestricted wars policy (a crippling -30 faction happiness).

Are there any plans for addressing this issue?

Oh neat, I made a thread about the food spiral problem but honestly wasn't expecting anything to be done about it. I like the fix!

Species rights changes look great too, make perfect sense.

Food Trading & Negative Food Spirals
We've had a bunch of feedback on AI and player problems with ending up in negative food spirals where a lack of food would cause starvation, reducing happiness and causing unrest, which would reduce food production, making starvation worse and creating a vicious cycle. To address this we've made a couple of changes. First of all, unrest and low happiness no longer reduce food production (they still reduce food from processing/livestock, as that represents the pops fighting back against being eaten). Secondly, we've improved the AI's understanding of food trading, so that it should heavily prioritize trading for food when in starvation. Finally, for those with Leviathans, we've added the ability to trade Minerals/Energy for Food and vice versa with the Trader Enclaves.

This is great thank you - I always seem to run biological empires with a large food surplus, being able to use some of the surplus for energy/minerals is going to be really helpful. Would this is a single or duel option? For example, can you trade 100 energy for 50 minerals and 100 Food for an additional 50 minerals from the same trader? Or is it just one resource traded at a time?

A suggestion, make those livestock pops can be genetically engineered to have nerve-stamped will not be effected by unrest. Maybe allow us to make them servile + nerve stamped as well