• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Reception & Thoughts | Patch 1.14.2 [Checksum fbf7]

Greetings all!

Today marks the first dev diary since the release of Trial of Allegiance, so we’ll be looking back over how things went, and community reactions in a little more detail than usual. While I would have loved to have some data on player choices and interactions for today’s diary, our analytics engine is busy chugging away. So, we’ll have to hold off on that until the machine spirit has assessed the incoming preponderance of data.

The Elephant in the Room

It would be hard to talk about Trial of Allegiance without first mentioning that we’re acutely aware of its critical reception from fans.

We’ve had releases with less than satisfactory reviews before, so why talk about them this time? Well, this mostly boils down to the reasons. Usually when something doesn’t do well we’ll create a timeline and buckle down to address the issues that matter. As you’ll see below, things are a little different this time.

Above all, I see no reason not to be transparent about this, and I’m going to use today as an opportunity to talk about what it means to us and how we analyze reactions, so let’s dive into some of the facts:

Everything’s on Fire!

Well, actually no. Trial of Allegiance has thus far been one of our most stable releases in terms of bugs and player-encountered issues. This doesn’t mean there aren’t bugs: stuff always creeps through, but as you may have noticed by now, we’ve had an Open Beta running with a patch scheduled sometime today. The patch notes will be attached to the end of this document. Furthermore, we have another patch scheduled in next week to give us a chance to tackle more complex problems.

Due to the low incidence of bugs in the ToA content, we’re spending a bit more time on general improvements and things folks thought were lacking.

Developer’s Perspective: bugs are defects in the game - errors or unforeseen complexities that render part of the experience to not work as intended. We don’t usually consider design choices or outdated content as bugs unless they cause the first statement to apply, since that evaluation is often subjective.

Circles Within Circles

Our steam review score has taken a fairly heavy beating on Trial of Allegiance. Reviews on DLCs are notoriously hard to draw accurate conclusions from, as very few people tend to leave reviews compared to the overall number of people who bought a DLC. Trial of Allegiance is particularly notable in that regard, as there are fewer reviews overall than we would normally expect. It’s absolutely possible to theorize behind why that is, but that’s all those are: theories.

That said, we read every review. Aaand it’s quite hard, tbh. Being a venerable ancient of the internet, I could wax lyrical on toxicity, vocabulary, and dissociation, but at the end of the day folks leave reviews for a reason. The language they use isn’t as important as the sentiment they’re trying to convey, even if they don’t always know the right way to do it.

What we try and do, therefore, is to try and don our armor of not-taking-things-too-personally, and group negative reviews by common themes or sentiments.

For Trial of Allegiance, we assessed clear ‘meta’ groupings in order of weight*:

• Unhappiness about recent regional currency price adjustments
  • Unhappiness about the price of the country pack
    • Compared to other HOI4 expansions
    • Other
  • Bought it but wanted something different
    • New mechanics, or
    • A european expansion
  • Unhappy with the quality of the release
    • In relation to specific issues;
    • In relation to mods
    • Unclear/Unintelligible
    • Unclear/Horrendously offensive

*This requires looking at global reviews, not english-language only: something we take quite seriously.

The exact weighting here changes a lot over time, but suffice it to say that the top grouping is significantly larger than any of the others, and the last grouping vice-versa.

But hang on, does this just mean we’re being review bombed by angry interest groups? Well, that would be a nice easy assumption that allows us to feel good about ourselves and go home for supper, but there doesn’t seem to be any coordinated effort here as far as we can tell.

What we can tell here is that folks commonly leave reviews for reasons unrelated to the content we made.

So, these are the findings. So far these have been presented as factual; now we take a more subjective view when it comes to reacting to the findings.

Regional Pricing

This one was a little unexpected, though in hindsight it shouldn’t have been. Looking back over recent reviews on our other expansions, we see the same trend.

In January, Paradox made efforts to normalize pricing across various currency regions according to (as I understand it) a standard used by Valve. On HoI, we saw this as a mostly administrative change, and did not, I think, ask enough questions about the effect it might have on our game-specific player base.
I am not promising any sweeping changes here for decisions that have already been made. What I can say however, is that we will not be treating any such changes as administrative in the future. We will be doing our due diligence.

General Pricing

A little more expected, perhaps, but with some important notes. The vast majority of complaints about the pricing of this release came with comparisons or in relation to other content we’ve released in the past.

While it overlaps a little with the next topic, I feel like we could have been clearer with setting expectations about what a country pack is.

Another observation here is that our fanbase seems to attach more importance to the consistency of expansion prices than we tend to. A lot of the comparisons we’re seeing are equating content made many years ago or at a completely different scale to Trial of Allegiance.

Wanted Something Different

This one is a real games-industry conundrum. Traditionally, if you bring something to market that doesn’t interest everyone, the uninterested ones avoid it. Not so here.

We knew that South America would be a divisive topic amongst the fanbase: some regard it as important, some do not. We calculated that this would make these nations perfect for a country-pack release instead of a full expansion - including mechanics in something that may not interest everyone would put fans in the situation of having to purchase something they did not want.

And, uh, that backfired a bit. Overwhelmingly, reviews in this category are asking where the mechanics are, or why we’re spending time on X instead of Y.

Importantly though, we aren’t gonna change that. We will sometimes have country pack releases, and they will not contain mechanics, though perhaps there’s some middle ground for tech/unit/other additions.

This all comes with a big but: the Juno team who created Trial of Allegiance are not the only ones working on HOI4. Creating content packs is not being done at the expense of other things. We aren’t ready to talk about exactly what’s coming yet, but simply put: we have mechanical expansions in the pipeline that are being built at this very moment. Outside of expansions, we have even more big stuff happening for HoI in the very near future. Watch this space.

Developer’s Perspective: Even if we wanted to, making two mechanical expansions in parallel would be a significant technical challenge. Some games are built to make that easy! HOI is not one of them.

Quality of Release

This is predominantly the stuff that reviews traditionally focus on. Was the delivered content good/bad/neutral? The nature of this is subjective, and these reviews are really where we can act by making changes and fixes. Below you’ll find the patch notes for our first iteration on ToA’s content, with more to come soon.

Overall what we’re seeing from players that stated an active interest in South America is a trending positive reaction. There are some key problems raised to us from highly invested players, which we’ll do our best to address. There are learnings we want to take into future country packs or war effort patches, including but not limited to:

• Shared branches were one of those things that made sense at the time, but in hindsight we should have avoided.
  • People love map changes more than I thought humanly possible.
  • Power creep is real, and we should have a balance reckoning sooner rather than later
  • We can do more with units, tech, and non-focus content without being explicitly ‘mechanical’ in nature. This was sort of on our radar already, but player feedback confirms that.

As I mentioned above, this has been a very bug-light release, but if an issue is plaguing you then please let us know through the usual channels, and we’ll spend any time left over on making other improvements to ToA’s content.

—-----------

Stuff That Doesn’t Really Help

Reviews that are empty/irrelevant/insulting/contain mysterious dwarven chanting are not going to be useful to us. When I say that we read all reviews, I’m not kidding - but if there’s no actionable text, we can’t do anything with it. Of course, it is your right to maintain a practice of critical ambiguity, I’m just saying it won’t produce results.

Reviews and comments that set up a strawman and try to assign a motive to the decisions we make serves only to create a rift between developers and community. We love this game as much as you do, and while it would be naive of me to assume that every discussion can be equally polite and constructive, I do believe that it is better if we let people represent themselves.

Of course, the vast majority of you understand this.

In Conclusion

From my perspective, team Juno had a cracking debut release, and I’m beyond proud of what they accomplished. The strategic side of things is where we’ve fallen short, and that is my cross to bear.

Finally, the reason I’m saying any of this stuff is to give you folks some context. This is hopefully an insight into the thought process that collectively happens behind the scenes at HoI HQ.

I’ll be around to try and answer any questions!

Below, you’ll find the patch notes for the update coming sometime today:

################################################################
######## Patch 1.14.2 "Bolivar" #########
################################################################

##################################
# Bugfix & Gameplay Additions
- Presets in the equipment designer should not be blocked because of so-called negative stats
- Blockade runner now requires fighting with at least one >37 knot ship
- Added a decision for fascist Chile after completing the focus "Forge a New Chilean Identity" to change the national flag to the Patria Vieja based one, due to popular demand.
- Added Felipe Molas López as advisor for Paraguay
- Valentino Riroko Tuki's trait has been buffed, and RAP now gains slightly more things when released and chosen to be played as a part of the Araucanian-Chilean civil war.
- Blockade runner is now actually obtainable
- Flourishing economy for Paraguay no longer expires
- Revenge for the Triple Alliance and Rekindle old gripes now gives wargoals against both actors in a civil war if BRA or ARG is in a civil war
- Fixed an issue where two designer companies for Chile wouldn't have icons with AAT disabled.
- Fixed a bug where Bartolome Blanche would go to the revolting side in the Araucanian civil war despite the non-aligned side still meeting all the requirements to keep him.
- Fixed an issue where taking any of the Promote Spanish Immigration decisions as Chile would permanently block the player from taking any further immigration decisions.
- Support the Spanish republicans no longer spams the error folder
- Historical AI behavior setting for Uruguay no longer disallows achievements
- Fixed an issue where Paraguay could take a focus before taking the prerequisite focus
- You no longer require French Somaliland for the Chilean empire achivement
- USA should no longer guarantee Monroe countries in addition to having the Monroe spirit if Trial of Allegiance is on, unless Tension is > 90%
- Replaced some Uruguayan spirit icons with nicer ones
- Italy now joins the war when France proper is being invaded by Axis troops, or on the historical date
- Reshuffled priorities for building slots for URG/PAR to make it less likely that the capital hits the 25 slot limit
- Paraguay river navy gets properly removed upon capitulation
- Fixed Oscar Escudero Otárola having his name backwards
- 'Reach out to Soviets' in the Argentina tree now checks if the Soviet Union is communist.
- Election event will now only fire if Brazil has completed 'Repeal the National Security Laws'
- Made the requirements to get Senor Hilter slightly easier.
- Added the correct Mechanized tech icons for Brazil
- Fixed an issue where Argentina and Chile could not use their modern small aircraft icon for carrier aircraft.
- Added a fix so you can now see that Prestes will become country leader with the 'Align with Moscow' trait.
- Added a check to Argentina's 'Support the Spanish Republicans' focus so it can only be taken if the Spanish Republic exists.
- some more portrait tweaks for minvervino, valentino and dartnell
- Added a check to the Juan Peron focus to make sure he is still recruited. Also added tooltip to event to make it more apparent he will not be available.
- Argentina can now peace out all UK allies when taking the Falklands
- Modified requirements for 'Revise Treaty of Roca-Runciman' in Argentina focus tree. Now accessible to communists after civil war.
- New Edelman portrait added and minor tweaks to previously existing portraits
- Fix for the Cisplatine war achievement not working.
- Fixed snake smoked achievement file names.
- Nerfed some of the recruitable population and supply in Communist Argentina
- Merged two instances of a duplicated Brazilian admiral/advisor
- Added fix to prevent elections from firing if Vargas is still country leader
- Eugenio Gomez portrait updated to show the right person
- Neglected state and Cangaco state modifiers will now be removed when another country owns the state.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing players from inviting countries to the Org of American states faction and made it easier to see how to integrate countries into US of South America.
- Updated some focuses that were not adding cores to new states.
- Added a fix to make sure that Support the Spanish Nationalists isn't available if they win the civil war
- Added chief of army for those without ToA for Argentina
- Made Fascist demagogue advisors available from game start in Argentina
- Brazil and Argentina now have full access to their respective intel agency icons
- Improved tooltip for Align with Moscow focus
- Beneath the shadow of the Triple Alliance and Rekindle old gripes no longer instantly white peace PAR/URG, giving them the option of continuing the war without being teleported back
- Fixed confusing Tooltip for blockade runner
- Peru can no longer go to war with Ecuador if subject
- Chile can no longer create their own faction is subject
- Mexico can no longer invite Peru to their faction if they are at war with Ecuador
- Normandy is now part of Chile's decisions to core France
- Manuel A. Rodriguez no longer has a duplicated localization key and is recruited when ToA is disabled.
- Added fix that prevents players from taking "Demand Compensation From Spain" if Spain does not own Equatorial Guinea
- Fixed an issue with Argentina's starting plane having the wrong icon.
- Fixed a bug where "TAG makes aggressive moves on Uruguay" event fires twice
- URSAL focus now grants cores to Brazil
- Fixed a bug which required reloading the game to show hidden Senor Hilter focuses

# AI
- AI now motorizes supply hubs if needed, even if they are controlled by allies or puppets
- The ai should no longer be as willing to send volunteers to the Kingdom of Araucania and Patagonia for all of eternity.
- Limiting some italy ai strategies for only when in faction with germany

# Modding
- Removed the check on negative stats that disabled create_equipment_variant and AI equipment creation

# Stability & Performance
- Improve performance in resource computation.
- Various minor optimisations across the game (infrastructure etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 94Like
  • 23Love
Reactions:
Perhaps the best way to salvage this mess would be making Trial of Allegiance a two parter. Go back to work and finish out trees for Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, and Ecuador, and release them once they’re done as a free update for those who’ve bought the DLC.

That would be enough content to justify the $15 price, satisfy complaints about countries being overlooked, and it wouldn’t screw over anybody who bought it at $15 like it would if you just chopped the price down to $10.
It will/would be another $15 dlc… and don`t worry…new feature dlc will cost more than $20… maybe $35… so $15 is in line with that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not super keen on the memes either, but how exactly do they detract from your experience playing the game?

The default AI behaviour is historical, and no one is forcing you to restore the Byzantine Empire. You can play for hours and never have to engage with the fantastic content if you don't want to.

Personally I would prefer it if all the implausible focuses were hidden like Papal Italy and Hitlerian Argentina. But that's a matter of framing not substance. At the end of the day, the players who buy DLC for the memes are subsidising our historical content.
I see them as part of a larger set of compromises that went into the overall design of HOI4. Compared to its predecessors, Paradox chose to concentrate a lot more effort into presentation, accessibility, and simple fun. It was a successful strategy from a commercial standpoint. HOI4 outsold all of its predecessors and made a household name out of a previously niche series. Many people enjoy the result. I do too, when I’m in a certain mood.

But the nature of a compromise is that you gain in some things by making sacrifices in others. HOI4 is a great sandbox game, but very poor at modeling something close to the real WW2. It was like that at release, and while eight or ten expansions later it’s gotten exponentially better as an alternate history or fantasy sandbox, it’s gotten only marginally better by comparison at being a WW2 game. It’s still playing catchup with HOI3 in some respects even after all these add-ons. It’s a matter of opportunity costs. What if all the development time that went into crafting these alternate history trees was invested on improving the core gameplay instead?

HOI3 is far from a perfect game, but it hit the mark better for me in most respects, so it’s still the game I play more often. At release, it was because HOI4 felt so barren and stripped down in comparison. Now all these years and expansions later, I often find myself turned off by how convoluted and complex HOI4 has become. It’s certainly gained some in depth, but it feels like it’s gained a lot more in bloat. HOI3, criticized for being too micromanagement heavy, is now the less stressful and more straightforward of the two to play.

One basic feature of HOI3 that I’m still somewhat amazed HOI4 lacks (despite its emphasis on ease of play and attracting more casual gamers) was the ability you had to put various systems of the game on autopilot under AI management. This was great as a way for new players to learn one particular aspect of the game at a time. And even as a veteran player, I often made use of it in solo games simply so that I could tune out the parts of the game that were the least interesting or entertaining to me, and focus on the ones that were.

A well-crafted automation system, were this feature to be reintroduced to the game now, would be more than a simple on/off checkbox, but rather come with a menu of options and priorities. With the HOI3 trade system you could have checked boxes to a stockpile a particular resource (if you’re someone like Germany) or to minimize stockpiles and maximize profit (if you’re the US), checked certain countries to prioritize or avoid deals with, checked an option to avoid overseas trades that require convoys, etc. With production AI you could select options for an overall build strategy and fine tune it by prioritizing or excluding specific types of units. The ability to free myself of juggling every detail of trade, production, and so on would be a welcome relief at times so I can concentrate on running the military operations, or just enjoy a more relaxed and hands off experience.

If I was overseeing the development strategy for HOI5, since HOI4 is what it is and it’s too late to change that, I would choose to concentrate on deepening the core WW2 experience, while leaving the alternate history development to the community. Modders have proven fully capable of crafting national focus trees. I would curate the highest quality community content mods, give them an official endorsement, and have them integrated in an in-game menu, where players can browse their choices and enable the ones they like. That way, all the fun fantasy options are still available, but the historical game remains the central focus of the developers’ efforts. I’m certain it would be a worse strategy from a business perspective, since you’re no longer monetizing that alt-history content, but it would probably lead to a better game in the end.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I see them as part of a larger set of compromises that went into the overall design of HOI4. Compared to its predecessors, Paradox chose to concentrate a lot more effort into presentation, accessibility, and simple fun. It was a successful strategy from a commercial standpoint. HOI4 outsold all of its predecessors and made a household name out of a previously niche series. Many people enjoy the result. I do too, when I’m in a certain mood.

But the nature of a compromise is that you gain in some things by making sacrifices in others. HOI4 is a great sandbox game, but very poor at modeling something close to the real WW2. It was like that at release, and while eight or ten expansions later it’s gotten exponentially better as an alternate history or fantasy sandbox, it’s gotten only marginally better by comparison at being a WW2 game. It’s still playing catchup with HOI3 in some respects even after all these add-ons. It’s a matter of opportunity costs. What if all the development time that went into crafting these alternate history trees was invested on improving the core gameplay instead?

HOI3 is far from a perfect game, but it hit the mark better for me in most respects, so it’s still the game I play more often. At release, it was because HOI4 felt so barren and stripped down in comparison. Now all these years and expansions later, I often find myself turned off by how convoluted and complex HOI4 has become. It’s certainly gained some in depth, but it feels like it’s gained a lot more in bloat. HOI3, criticized for being too micromanagement heavy, is now the less stressful and more straightforward of the two to play.

One basic feature of HOI3 that I’m still somewhat amazed HOI4 lacks (despite its emphasis on ease of play and attracting more casual gamers) was the ability you had to put various systems of the game on autopilot under AI management. This was great as a way for new players to learn one particular aspect of the game at a time. And even as a veteran player, I often made use of it in solo games simply so that I could tune out the parts of the game that were the least interesting or entertaining to me, and focus on the ones that were.

A well-crafted automation system, were this feature to be reintroduced to the game now, would be more than a simple on/off checkbox, but rather come with a menu of options and priorities. With the HOI3 trade system you could have checked boxes to a stockpile a particular resource (if you’re someone like Germany) or to minimize stockpiles and maximize profit (if you’re the US), checked certain countries to prioritize or avoid deals with, checked an option to avoid overseas trades that require convoys, etc. With production AI you could select options for an overall build strategy and fine tune it by prioritizing or excluding specific types of units. The ability to free myself of juggling every detail of trade, production, and so on would be a welcome relief at times so I can concentrate on running the military operations, or just enjoy a more relaxed and hands off experience.

If I was overseeing the development strategy for HOI5, since HOI4 is what it is and it’s too late to change that, I would choose to concentrate on deepening the core WW2 experience, while leaving the alternate history development to the community. Modders have proven fully capable of crafting national focus trees. I would curate the highest quality community content mods, give them an official endorsement, and have them integrated in an in-game menu, where players can browse their choices and enable the ones they like. That way, all the fun fantasy options are still available, but the historical game remains the central focus of the developers’ efforts. I’m certain it would be a worse strategy from a business perspective, since you’re no longer monetizing that alt-history content, but it would probably lead to a better game in the end.
I agree with your points, and I believe HOI4 has become a kind of sandbox where a lot of nations can do the same very unrealistic alternative history paths, while few can do more slight, though plausible, deviations from history. For instance, you could play out a swedish power fantasy of Sweden becoming a great power and dominating its neighbours (like most DLC nations can), but you are not able to allow the historical allied request for passing through Sweden to aid Finland against the Soviet Union and see how that fascinating scenario would play out.

When HOI4 released, I too fealt that it lacked too much from the previous games, and I was quite surprised (and still am) that basic functionality like automate trade or message settings were missing from the game. I have always thought some of the latter was to force the player into relying more on battleplans.

To your last point; I believe a deepening of the core mechanics and plausible historical scenarios while having a more generalized approach to the (wildly) alt history stuff would benefit the game greatly. For one, the alt history paths are to a large extent variations around the same themes and the numerous implementations causes numerous problems that PDX will most likely not resource working on. Allowing the player a more generic way of becoming the communist/fascist/monarchist power they want would avoid the problem of some content comparing poorly to others, while flavour content and the context would provide the "localization". I think this would allow PDX to focus on making the core mechanics to what they want to achieve rather than solving everything with focuses, while allowing plausible deviations from actual history to play out via decisions and events.

Reactions:
Personally, I am very disappointed with the representation of my country, Peru, in the DLC. It's not about you didn't include it; but it's you put the option of restoring the Inca Empire with Chile. I do not understand why did you make this decision, considering that civilization originated in Cuzco (current Peruvian territory). It may sound exaggerated, but I'm also afraid that this will lead people to mistakenly believe that the Incas are Chilean, when in fact they are not.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And that's the best case. Because at this point it seems that DLC will never come.
What at this point point makes you think that there won't be another DLC for South America in feature? I don't remember having read any such official statement, while in contrary there was one in the past where a focus tree for any country was mentioned as the ideal case (though it wasn't promised of course). So yes, these is no absolute certainty about the remaining south-american countries getting unique content, but at the moment is see no indication of that not possiblly happen in the future.

What at this point point makes you think that there won't be another DLC for South America in feature? I don't remember having read any such official statement, while in contrary there was one in the past where a focus tree for any country was mentioned as the ideal case (though it wasn't promised of course). So yes, these is no absolute certainty about the remaining south-american countries getting unique content, but at the moment is see no indication of that not possiblly happen in the future.
Read my previous post
Personally, I am very disappointed with the representation of my country, Peru, in the DLC. It's not about you didn't include it; but it's you put the option of restoring the Inca Empire with Chile. I do not understand why did you make this decision, considering that civilization originated in Cuzco (current Peruvian territory). It may sound exaggerated, but I'm also afraid that this will lead people to mistakenly believe that the Incas are Chilean, when in fact they are not.

Read my previous post
I have read it, but it doesn't explain to me where the indicator is for "no future south america content". You stated that you don't like a part of the Chilean content (and I could even imagine that I would agree with you, if I would dig deeper - I can at least echo, that in mind "Inca" is associated first hand with Peru as well), but I fail to see that this means no 2nd DLC. What would e.g. stop developers from allowing Peru in such a hypothetic DLC to found the Inca Empire as well?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have read it, but it doesn't explain to me where the indicator is for "no future south america content". You stated that you don't like a part of the Chilean content (and I could even imagine that I would agree with you, if I would dig deeper - I can at least echo, that in mind "Inca" is associated first hand with Peru as well), but I fail to see that this means no 2nd DLC. What would e.g. stop developers from allowing Peru in such a hypothetic DLC to found the Inca Empire as well?
I'll explain more. They put something that it should be in a peruvian focus tree; not in chilean focus tree. If Chile has the option alredy, how could Peru do the same in a future DLC. What will happen if a player chooses Peru, plays in non historical, starts to restore Inca Empire,and AI makes Chile take the focus of Inca Empire? Or if in Multiplayer two players take these branches.
That only leads some ways:
-Omit completely Peru and only put other countries (Venezuela, Bolivia, Colombia and Ecuador)
-Omit the option of restoring Inca Empire with Peru
Additionally I don't see anyone associating Incas with any other thing aside from Peru.

Last edited:
If you didn't understand. They put something that it should be in a peruvian focus tree; not in chilean focus tree. If Chile has the option alredy, how could Peru do the same in a future DLC. What will happen if a player chooses Peru, plays in non historical, starts to restore Inca Empire,and AI makes Chile take the focus of Inca Empire?
I would expect the focus for Chile getting blocked then, because the nation to be founded/transforming into already existing (technically a requirement for the focus like "Requieres: Inca Empire does not exist")

Wouldn't this make that chilean branch impossible to play or too nerfed?
I might err, but isn't that the common way HoI4 handles such situations? If you want to form nation X, you always run into the danger that some AI might prevent you from executing the final step, because they are faster or create another formable nation conflicting yours by included required parts. In this case it would put Peru and Chile in a kind of antagonist position, when it comes to founding the Inca Empire, creating a kind of "race situation" about who is faster...but I wouldn't see that as a real nerf.

I might err, but isn't that the common way HoI4 handles such situations? If you want to form nation X, you always run into the danger that some AI might prevent you from executing the final step, because they are faster or create another formable nation conflicting yours by included required parts. In this case it would put Peru and Chile in a kind of antagonist position, when it comes to founding the Inca Empire, creating a kind of "race situation" about who is faster...but I wouldn't see that as a real nerf.
That's a thing the game in general should change to avoid unfair exploits that make some games impossible.
As I edited a previous post, nobody sees Incas as something aside from Peru. And culturally, chileans never identified with that civilization in their history. So in the case of making that antagonist position it should be a thing like a second Inca Mapuche war, deleting that focus from Chile or changing its name

Reactions:
It could be problematic, most formable you don't need to worry about other countries forming unless they conquer you first at the least. But some (I can only think of Austri-Hungary as Czech in non-historical) may require you to race another country (Hungary) before they acquire the tag.

Reactions:
Is it possible to implement an increasing or adaptive difficulty system? Something that would allow the computer player to adjust its strategies and designs in reaction to player’s or any threatening/rivalling nation‘s progress?

And can we please get less rng in leader development (getting engineer generals just because there was one engineer battalion as support is ridiculous) as well as an option to remove generals/marshals from the leader pool?

I really hope that these reviews of south America don't dissuade you from making flavour for other regions of the world. I learned so much about Brazilian history and involvement in the second world War that I only vaguely knew about from an axis and allies board years ago. I love that this dlc was made.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Happy to read this! Power creep is a problem in many Paradox games, and corrections are always welcome.
Let me fix that:

Happy to read this! Power creep is a problem in many Paradox games, and corrections are always welcome.

EDIT: To be clear, there is definitely power creep in Paradox games, but it's not just a Paradox problem. There is power creep in a LOT of games as they get older. MMOs are especially bad about this, for example.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: