• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary, 2/3/2020

Salvete Omnes!

Welcome back for another Imperator dev diary. While we have some further additions to the religious aspect of Imperator awaiting you, I want to have something to show you, and so we’ll leave these until next week. Indeed, the site of them might interest you greatly.

Today however, I’d like to inform you that we’ll be bringing a few highly requested minor features, fixes, and changes to the table in the 1.4 update.

Deny Trade Requests

In patch 1.4, you will be able to specify which Trade Goods you wish to deny requests for, on a national level. Simply put, the AI will no longer consider these goods as valid when searching for a trade. Switching a good from permitted to denied will not cancel current exports; you will still have to do that manually.

V7JE9E-Le0bhuAbyh4123tHRjbV6YbmtgtN59TQS3q5JP4bpGyABBmj1y99cqXADiA0mIsbuF-Dq2OBmxQRRhKVQsJEXDtZ1r2PmRps7cpI2shdH_TKyAvc8qi0k4psYeXsAfU1p

City Graphical Culture

In patch 1.4, the graphical culture of a city will represent that of the dominant culture present in the territory. Practically, this will mean the city appearance changing when the dominant culture eventually does, creating a much more dynamic experience for those wishing to convert the culture of any given territory.

This was a tricky subject; on one hand, cities throughout history have built around the creations of former owners, resulting in wonderful hybrid architectural styles that are so common in many parts of the world. All this said, the map is designed to be a representative viewport, intended to give you an overview of information relevant to your game. As such, we’ve opted to make this change.

The Continue Button

Yes, in patch 1.4 you will be able to continue a game that has reached the end-date. There will be no new content past this point, and techs will continue to scale indefinitely. Achievements will not be available for those in ironman mode, past the intended game end-date.

AI Control (MP)

Those who enjoy multiplayer games may be pleased to know that you will now be able to decide how much control to give the AI over your nation in the event of disconnection or missing a session.

r-Bqu75gK3nR7S0XmOic7OduQdNILJv1_8sa45HO2Cphyerb0bOZ2HRbo0Cov0MVJNZCq0__V_T9QbubHiBk6JRy_a8sxlymuHVooeB3xNPyD3Lh92Wc3QungHs5izlN7GvTOthu

Historical Characters

One small thing that has changed in the Archimedes update is that we can now set up dead characters that existed before the start of the game. This has very little effect in the game, and in most cases there are few such characters that it would be meaningful to have, we will however be adding some important family history here and there.

You may well find some known faces among the previous rulers of your country for instance:

vDaep1kA5QQgdDfglmKZmiDXgp9TBat2tkYPOczg9nf6nbbXHXvLAtFlvlwk2OwBo2NnrJYatq3i0oLrduoaYDuGqZFJ89PyarpzjlprdoEDfcoO0jWG08B1EQIJbhzb3GNADp7V

sMb6QOBd_0KDM5W7z7kvScxytdAc9hj9aYd1EIeriGixvWhxkyJCHaKlHeRskMgbHLMiyDs3aZ8PaLrZ2U-OeORVjr6b5sIYYXICdEFGqRQYXKB5inlFMi5JSzxlf8Vz0d1S8cuj

This said, there may have been an ulterior motive behind this… you’ll just have to wait and see.

/Arheo

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I am nor sure they won't be by any means useful (I can think of a scenario where I have the regional monopoly of a strategic resource and I don't want anyone else in the region to get them), but it is true that I had hoped that we could do that at a province level instead. I was tired of having continuous requests for useful surpluses - that I did not want to lose.
I am just going to point you to my sugestion over here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/minor-improovements-for-trading.1315657/

A bidding System would give you a better overview of who wants any one resource. And might allow you to prefer your allies and vassals or far away people as trading partners, by giving them "the right of first refusal" or something like that.

Yeah, given the nature of the patch, which is centered around religion, it's almost certain that you will have the ability to deify some of your great ancestors and add them to you pantheon.
There are a lot of gods in this one B5 Video alone:

Londo becomes a god, because he becomes Emperor
Sheridan becomes Valen, because of Predesitation Paradox
And Invanova - is god.

Nice feature with the chaning city graphics. One thing I have hoped that you would adress for some time mow is
A) Settlements visible on the map, because it would help to organize your empire if you can see which tiles are improved and which are not.
B) Different graphics for metropolises, and perhaps also special buildings with unique stats that can only be built once per metropolis and that are visible on the map.

Deny Trade Requests

In patch 1.4, you will be able to specify which Trade Goods you wish to deny requests for, on a national level. Simply put, the AI will no longer consider these goods as valid when searching for a trade. Switching a good from permitted to denied will not cancel current exports; you will still have to do that manually.
Good, but I wish you could also do this at the state level as well. I'm fine selling horses from most provinces to get money and the export bonus, but I wouldn't want to sell them from Syracuse if I'm building a megacity there.

The Continue Button

Yes, in patch 1.4 you will be able to continue a game that has reached the end-date. There will be no new content past this point, and techs will continue to scale indefinitely. Achievements will not be available for those in ironman mode, past the intended game end-date.
Good, although why prevent achievements? HoI4 and Stellaris let you play indefinitely while still being able to earn achievements, and the games are arguably better for this.
Historical Characters

One small thing that has changed in the Archimedes update is that we can now set up dead characters that existed before the start of the game. This has very little effect in the game, and in most cases there are few such characters that it would be meaningful to have, we will however be adding some important family history here and there.
This is a nice easter egg. It reminds me of how CK2 lists Roman emperors going back to Augustus, as well as other figures like Muhammad. These are fun to discover.

Overall, the changes from this dev diary are baby steps in the right direction.

Good, but I wish you could also do this at the state level as well. I'm fine selling horses from most provinces to get money and the export bonus, but I wouldn't want to sell them from Syracuse if I'm building a megacity there.
Agree, some sort of fine control would be nice:)

Maybe you need to look more carefully ;)

Where in the world is polyperchon...

From what I found, he apparently appears in a random country in each game, with the higher chance being in an hellenic culture group country with less than 5 cities.

This can be found in the "00_on_action_effects" file in the "scripted_effects" folder, under the name "where_in_the_world_is_polyperchon_effect".

Nice dev diary, but would it be possible to implement the trade restrictions to provinces instead of nation-wide. I feel like I wouldn’t use the nation-wide restrictions because they are too, well, restrictive.

The Argeads cannot really be a Macedonian major family in 304 BCE :)
clearly this calls for a new catagory then:
Legendary families
Population: Argeads

Felt like I had to rank the changes listed here... How better to do it than with Vince McMahon? :p

Great,but still no news for a music player in future?
Thanks.
In Hearts of Iron playlists are called a "Radio Station".
So, Court Musician?

The Argeads cannot really be a Macedonian major family in 304 BCE :)
You obviously need the concept of a "Minor Family", that can generate Characters like Majors, are not tracked for scroning. But they will be the first to become major, if you got big enough for that. :)
That status could also be where former Great Families go.

Nice dev diary, but would it be possible to implement the trade restrictions to provinces instead of nation-wide. I feel like I wouldn’t use the nation-wide restrictions because they are too, well, restrictive.
Oddly they are both too restrictive (on the Nation level). And not restrictive enough (on the province level).

Deny Trade Requests

Are we going to see an allow button at a provincial level to override the national deny? I'm with others that we need to be able to make general or more specific exceptions.

That said, I can suffer the excess of wheat in my outer provinces if it means and end to the flag-swatting.