HoI4 Dev Diary - God Save the King: British Focus Tree Rework

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Are you the new podcat?

If anything, I'd be poddog! :p

But in all seriousness, it's just much simpler for Content Designers to write the Dev Diaries on the focus trees they've been working on (besides, @podcat is slacking off on vacation so... :D ). He'll be back as your regular Dev Diary host after the summer vacation, interspersed with some other team members.

@Bratyn

A few questions :)

1.) no focus about the Admiralty?
2.) No Imperial Federation?
3.) What happens to South Africa if you go fascist there and go for king edward and if king edward is the king of the UK?
4.) Similarly what if you go communist/fascist as the rest of the dominions and the UK goes commie/fascist?
5.) in the royal marriage for Edward, who does he marry?

1. As stated, the naval branch of "Rearmament" is pending some new features. We'll flesh it out once those are in place.
2. No, but the 'old' Imperial branch hasn't really received much attention thus far. As stated, this is quite early in implementation (a lot earlier than Germany was when we showed that off, for instance).
3. Also as stated, we have some ideas for these types of conflicts between UK and Dominions. Generally, the approach will be "UK has priority over Dominions".
4. See 3.
5. Also Wallis Simpson. The difference between the two marriages is that in a Royal Marriage she actually becomes Queen, which is likely to upset people even more than the other option, while not really having any clear benefits over it.

Curious to see what "Unite the Anglosphere" does, does that include America?

It's all about America: it gives a wargoal on the USA (as by that point in the tree it's the only part of the 'anglosphere' you do not already have control over or at least wargoals on).

Possibly the most interesting focus tree to date. Question: if Germany goes down its alt-history path will the British AI be locked out of going through the appeasement path. It wouldn’t make sense otherwise.

Probably not as simple as that - Imperial Germany can still go after France/Britain by challenging their colonial position, after all.

If we own Man the Guns but not Together for Victory, will the dominions (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) be British puppets? It would seem implied by some of the focuses. Or will we need TfV as well?

We will see how we handle this, exactly, but the idea is you definitely will not be needing TfV to be able to enjoy MtG's content.

Regarding Communist Britain:

View attachment 386319

Harry Pollitt (22 November 1890 – 27 June 1960) was a British politician who served as the head of the trade union department of the Communist Party of Great Britain and the General Secretary of the party.

View attachment 386320

In 1929 the CPGB elected him General Secretary, a position he held, with a brief interruption during World War II, until 1956. He was then made Chairman of the Party, a position he held until his death four years later aboard an ocean liner carrying him home from a visit to Australia and New Zealand.[1]

In his public statements, Pollitt was loyal to the Soviet Union and to CPSU General Secretary Joseph Stalin. He was a defender of the Moscow Trials in which Stalin murdered or otherwise disposed of his political and military opponents. In the Daily Worker of 12 March 1936 Pollitt told the world that "the trials in Moscow represent a new triumph in the history of progress". The article was illustrated by a photograph of Stalin with Nikolai Yezhov, himself shortly to vanish and his photographs airbrushed from history by NKVD archivists.

Pollitt also organised a protest against Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists in 1934

View attachment 386321
Above: 1930s flag of Communist Party of Great Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_Great_Britain

Harry Pollit is indeed going to be the country leader after turning Communist.

Interesting idea for an option: British-Italian Fascist Alliance, Mosley always took most of his inspiration from Mussolini to begin with (i.e. Blackshirts, use of the word "Fascist", etc).

View attachment 386331

This is basically exactly the rationale for why the fascist tree leads to an alliance with Italy.

Just as well you didn't choose this ;). It would be flagrantly dishonest unless you had a fuhrerreich-style path for Jack Churchill to lead a memey Stratocracy.
Actually...

It refers to Churchill's face now being in 2 of the focus icons as well instead of just his ruler portrait :p

Last edited:
Also thanks to the team for the unexpected China fix / minor patch, which leads to my complain: no other fixes / patches expected until MtG really? :( and then with MtG without a release date, even it was hinted it might not be released this year :confused: it hurts me to see how understaffed the HoI team is compared to others or the low priority HoI gets compared to the other games / teams. I know HoI cellebrated 1 million sales so as an outsider really doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately - yes: we usually only roll out updates whenever a new DLC is released, and a few weeks afterwards (the 'post-release update'). You'll have to wait a bit longer :)

As for HoI4 being understaffed - this is not the case at all. The team is roughly similarly-sized as most of our other projects.

@Bratyn

In light of the new Dev Diary, can you give us any hints on which new tags might remain British puppets? You mentioned that only about 20% of them would be. It would be nice to see Malta as one of these, and similar states that are economically non viable as truly independent states, but need to basically be the protectorate of a greater power(San Marino is a great modern example of this, as is Malta itself). Not to mention it’s a pretty vital strategic area.

I wonder how plausible it would be to have Hong Kong as its own enclave separate of China. Even today, Hong Kong has a lot of special laws that distinguish it from the rest of China.. and also, again, an area of vital strategic importance for many operations in East Asia.

Enclaves wouldn't be relevant for this, as these would already be returned by the earlier focus in that tree that returns foreign-claimed territory to those countries. Instead, what I meant is that it's quite random which countries stay and which leave. I may end up adding extra weights to make it more likely (or even ensure) for some tags to remain than others, but I haven't even done the script for this yet so at this point anything could happen.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've stopped bothering now.

I read it the same day you wrote it, and I have also rated it helpful (though it would seem that the forums logged me out or otherwise bugged when I tried to do so, because I now see it does not show I rated it at all - that's a mistake I apologize for). I haven't responded to it in more detail yet because I haven't yet had the time to see which things can/should be implemented, in which forms, and to which lengths.

In general you can assume I read everything I get pinged on, and if I don't reply it's most likely because I either don't agree with it, I haven't had time to formulate a plan of implementation yet, or I'm currently working on something else and plan to take a more in-depth look again when I'm once again working on the subject the comment/suggestion pertains to. I prefer to make written replies when I know I can commit to something. Helpful/agree/respectful disagree ratings should show I'm aware of something until I am able to make such a reply.

In general, though, it's a useful list which I intend to use when I make another update/polish pass on the UK tree. However, as above, I can't yet say which things will be adjusted or in which ways they will be adjusted. Thanks for taking the time to write it up, though :)

And no, though playable, the tree isn't finished yet. There is a reason no release date has been announced, yet :)

Overall, the changes you've made to the UK look GREAT! I can't wait to play the UK and try out some ahistorical playthroughs, along with seeing how the historical path feels different. I also understand if you don't agree with all of my suggestions, but I feel that some of them should definitely be considered and/or implemented. Good luck to you and the rest of the devs throughout the rest of your development process for MtG, it looks amazing so far!

I hope I can do the Imperial Conference even if I am fascist, but I could see why you wouldn't allow that.

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it :) I've now worked through your and @James Hale 's feedback, and implemented solutions to most of the stuff you guys mentioned. You'll hear more shortly.

As for the Imperial Conference, it's available as long as the dominions have the same ideology as you do.

Glad to take your feedback, and happy to have implemented some of it, but I do want to point out that 4 out of the very next 5 replies after I mentioned I had fixed some stuff were requests to fix more things. If you do not get an answer when you point out issues, it is not necessarily because we didn't read it or even didn't do it, but it might also be because if we say we've fixed something we get drowned in a torrent of new requests that we don't have time for, and we feel bad for having to say no to you guys ;)

No worries! :) I will see what among the new stuff I can get done, but no guarantees. I very much appreciate your enthusiasm, though, so thank you! ^^