• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Combat and Stats changes

Hi everyone and welcome back to another dev diary! Today is about various changes that affect combat and units. With the Barbarossa update we want to shake up the meta a bit and also change a few stats and other aspects to make using the tank designer more interesting and rewarding.

High Command bonus changes
For a long time now unit bonuses from high command have confused people. Most expect that they apply to battalions, when in fact they apply only if their target unit type was “the majority type”, which was basically a weighted type count. They also could overlap, so infantry, mountaineers and artillery would apply to the same units letting you stack stuff in ways that was never intended and quite unintuitive.

Screenshot_1.png

This system has now changed, and divisions get bonuses based on their composition, this is a straight up ratio based on the number of non-support battalions of each type, so a 2x artillery 3x infantry division will be 40% artillery 60% infantry.
Battalions are always classified as a single type for this (even though some are scripted with multiple types) based on this priority:
cavalry > armor > artillery > motorized > mechanized > infantry

The exceptions being rocket & special forces, which both act as an addition, so if the 3 infantry divisions in the example above were mountain units, then the division would also be 60% special forces and if the 2 artillery are nebelwerfers it'd also be 40% rocket

When counting the battalions of armies (ie when we have an actual unit and not only a division template), battalions that lack equipment will count as less, so a Light Tank battalion with only half it's tanks will count as 0.5 battalions (and not count at all if without tanks). The total sum of the compositions will still end up 100% (unless every battalion is without equipment).

Screenshot_3.png

To make it easier to see this we now have an indicator in the division windows showing the breakdown.

Combat Width
As a part of our efforts to shake up the 40/20 width meta, we have made changes to the combat width of province terrain. Province widths now range from 75 to 96. Plains have a new base combat width of 90, while Mountains have a new combat width of 75. Most of these widths will not divide into each other easily, hopefully moving the ideal width away from multiples of 10.

Urban provinces are now the “widest” with a width of 96. But this does not mean they will be the easiest provinces to overwhelm. Mountains, marshes, and urban provinces now have reinforcement widths of ⅓ of province width instead of ½. This should hopefully give these provinces a slight defensive buff, while allowing us to open up pushing power in the more open tiles.

Screenshot_2.png

In conjunction with these changes, we have also been looking at reducing the overstacking penalty. We hope that this will alleviate some of the need to have divisions that are the perfect width for a given province. But at the same time, smaller countries should now be able to specialize their division width to suit their home terrain more appropriately.

Breakdown (numbers not final etc etc)
  • Plains
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Desert
    • Standard 90
    • Reinforce 45
  • Forest
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Jungle
    • Standard 84
    • Reinforce 42
  • Hills
    • Standard 80
    • Reinforce 40
  • Marsh
    • Standard 78
    • Reinforce 26
  • Urban
    • Standard 96
    • Reinforce.32
  • Mountain
    • Standard 75
    • Reinforce 25
One of the major things that make larger divisions like 40 width armor hit disproportionally harder than smaller ones is also how targeting and damage works inside combat in relation to the enemies defense. Essentially the larger divisions make more efficient use of concentrated damage as it punches through defense. To solve this we are doing a few things. First of all we are weighting the targeting towards wider divisions being more likely targets and also when picking targets to try and match it to have wider divisions spread damage over smaller rather than always concentrating it. They will probably still hit harder, but combined with width changes and other downsides of larger divisions it should make it less clear cut.
However, this part isn’t quite done yet though so I’ll cover it again in more detail in one of the “bag of tricks” diaries in the future when i see how it pans out, but I figured it needed to be mentioned now ;) That said though, to wet your appetites here is a little tease from a debug mapmode in development...
1620214309589.png

Armor and Piercing
Currently the effects of having stronger armor than the enemy can pierce, or being able to pierce an enemies armor are binary and give fixed bonuses. This meant that there wasn't really any benefit to have more armor than you needed to stop the enemies piercing, and also that being a single point of piercing under enemy armor was just as bad as having no piercing. So things were quite binary. With the tank designer coming we wanted to make it feel like your investments in upgrades were always worth it, so we are changing armor and piercing to have more gradual effects.

Armor > Piercing
  • Unit takes half damage (as it currently works)
Armor < Piercing and Amor > 0.75 * Piercing
  • Take damage between half damage to normal damage by difference in value
Armor < 0.75 * Piercing
  • The unit takes normal damage
Lets break this down with an example:
  • A panzer division has an armor value of 52
  • Its being attacked by an infantry division with some anti-tank guns. Their piercing is 60
  • If this was the old system this armor would be worthless and not reduce damage at all
  • Now because its close enough (between 60 and 45), so you get roughly half of the normal effect around 25% reduction of damage.

Reliability
For the tank designer it was important that reliability was more impactful if it was to be a good tradeoff with other aspects of design, so we needed to change it up (lest @CraniumMuppets 0% reliability tank monsters would take over the world). Now it will not just affect rate of loss in attrition but various other aspects:
  • Reliability affects losses from attrition like before
  • Reliability now affects org regain when moving, and also makes any weather related org effects more impactful when low
  • Lower reliability scales up all impacts from weather so if facing extreme weather a unit with low reliability equipment will suffer more of those weather effects
  • At the end of combat units with better reliability will be able to get back a certain amount of tanks etc to simulate that simple more reliable constructions would work better for battlefield repair and be less fragile when taking damage. So it's a bit like capturing enemy equipment in combat - but in reverse :cool:

Screenshot_4.png

Our goal is that this creates interesting tradeoffs when designing equipment and will make you have to consider if its worth switching a strategy focused on speed and firepower towards reliability when operating in bad weather and tough areas like the Russian winter or in northern africa or jungles.

Oh, and I figured now might be a good time to point out that there will be a future diary on weather changes and other cool related stuff, so these changes aren't completely in isolation. But one step at a time :)

But before we go, a few words about the studio...

Studio Gold
Hello everyone, my name is Thomas, but perhaps better known as @Besuchov here :)

As you saw here we have recently reorganized ourselves a little, moving from a big centralized Stockholm studio to splitting ourselves into Red, Green and Gold. This is mainly an internal org shift to make sure we keep our growing organization firmly focused around making good games. You shouldn't notice too many differences in the short term, we are still PDS making GSG on the Clausewitz engine, but it does mean that we can align each studio to the particular games. Since you will hear the studio names every once in a while, I just wanted to say who I am and what the studio is responsible for.

My role is Studio Manager, which means I'm accountable for the long term success of Studio Gold and working with things like management, staffing, and long term plans. Studio Gold has as its main focus Hearts of Iron (but we may or may not have some secret other stuff as well). Directly making the games though, that's still the job of Podcat and the team, but I intend to do my best to create an environment where we have the best chances to make great games together.

For me this is coming full circle at Paradox. I started as a programmer in 2004 and one of my first tasks was to work on Hearts of Iron 2. Since then I've done various things including being lead programmer for Hearts of Iron 3 (and Victoria 2), Project Lead for EU4 and more recently Studio Manager for PDS. Next to EU, HOI is my favorite game and I'm delighted to be back in a place where I can focus on fewer games and where that game is Hearts of Iron. You will see more of me in the future even though I will mostly take a backseat to the team working on the game.

That’s all, see you all again next week for more dev diary goodness!

• 311Like
  • 83Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I firmly believe that the 36 guns/battalion design is to reduce the effects of attrition. The designation and manpower point towards a battalion. The firepower is also about what you would expect to see from a battalion.

A way to rationalize it in your mind would be to think of the artillery you field as more than just the actual guns themselves, but also representing the huge array of ammunition limbers, range finding, forward observation, signals equipment, all the things you need to keep a modern gun line working. The gun is visual symbolism to represent all of that. It'd be a very busy 2D weapon sprite indeed, otherwise.

@Jamor, you seem to know about TO&Es, and real life battalion, Squadron set up. Why does HOI4 have Artillery add to the width? The closest battery to the battle is going to be 1500 to 2000 meters behind the FEBA and more likely to be at least 4 Km back, so why would they add to the width?

Well, I joined PDS in 2017 after HOI4 was released, so I couldn't rightly say. Mainly I'm posting here as a history enthusiast.

• 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Zauberelefant said:
I firmly believe that the 36 guns/battalion design is to reduce the effects of attrition. The designation and manpower point towards a battalion. The firepower is also about what you would expect to see from a battalion.
A way to rationalize it in your mind would be to think of the artillery you field as more than just the actual guns themselves, but also representing the huge array of ammunition limbers, range finding, forward observation, signals equipment, all the things you need to keep a modern gun line working. The gun is visual symbolism to represent all of that. It'd be a very busy 2d weapon sprite indeed, otherwise.
===============================================================================

o_O Seriously? Am I understanding this wrong? Of course the Artillery unit has equipment besides the guns. But you represent that by support equipment, trucks, etc.

Change the Artillery unit
twelve (12) guns
combat width one (1)
ORG
to 36
Divide the combat values by a third (1/3).
Leave the 50 trucks as is in the motorized version.
Leave the supply consumption numbers as is.

That will not fix the problem with the Artillery unit, but at least it is correctly identified as a battalion.
ORG change is based on a current 9/1 becoming a 9/3, same average ORG.

Don't agree with this. "The firepower is also about what you would expect to see from a battalion."
But that is a separate issue deserving its own thread.

@Fulmen ... you were right.

• 6Like
Reactions:
A way to rationalize it in your mind would be to think of the artillery you field as more than just the actual guns themselves, but also representing the huge array of ammunition limbers, range finding, forward observation, signals equipment, all the things you need to keep a modern gun line working. The gun is visual symbolism to represent all of that. It'd be a very busy 2D weapon sprite indeed, otherwise.

Well, I joined PDS in 2017 after HOI4 was released, so I couldn't rightly say. Mainly I'm posting here as a history enthusiast.
Ah, thank you for confirming that. So a 32 width division would actually be historical for 39 German infantry!

The width factors, afair podcat's explanation, the logistics footprint of a division. You could obviously fit in more soldiers in a province, shoulder to shoulder in 3 layers, but you couldn't supply Them all properly.

Medium and heavy artillery have of course a bigger Footprint than infantry. You could argue with tanks, but Artillery needs pretty dang big depots.

• 1Like
Reactions:
o_O Seriously? Am I understanding this wrong? Of course the Artillery unit has equipment besides the guns. But you represent that by support equipment, trucks, etc.
Like I said, I wasn't involved in the design. Just theorizing about possible rationales for it on my day off.

• 8Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:

A way to rationalize it in your mind would be to think of the artillery you field as more than just the actual guns themselves, but also representing the huge array of ammunition limbers, range finding, forward observation, signals equipment, all the things you need to keep a modern gun line working. The gun is visual symbolism to represent all of that. It'd be a very busy 2d weapon sprite indeed, otherwise.

twelve (12) guns
combat width one (1)
ORG
to 36

That will not fix the problem with the Artillery unit, but at least it is correctly identified as a battalion.

Don't agree with this. "The firepower is also about what you would expect to see from a battalion."

An Artillery battalion has half the logistics Footprint of an infantry Battalion? You serious?
Support Equipment is very narrow in what you use it for, no line Battalion uses it, why should Artillery?
Anything besides the main weapons is abstracted as more weapons/IC per weapon. That's a design Feature from day 1.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An Artillery battalion has half the logistics Footprint of an infantry Battalion? You serious?
Support Equipment is very narrow in what you use it for, no line Battalion uses it, why should Artillery?
Anything besides the main weapons is abstracted as more weapons/IC per weapon. That's a design Feature from day 1.
I really don't want to debate this here. Not sure this would be the appropriate place.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had the opposite experience. I was playing, created some division designs and then suddenly: why my attacks always lose? A whopping -20% because I am 10% over combat width ....

Googled and switched to 40w and wow...my attacks work fine now....

Which is totally ahistorical and a gotcha.

Division size should be irrelevant. 4x10w should be exactly the same as 1x40w

I do fear they could swing the balance too much to 2w defense because of how org is calculated. Org should be summed.
Agree. There should be high penalties if your forces are under strength and cannot cover the front line. And this highly depends on terrain (visibility, cover) and the potential for the enemy to infiltrate or break the line.

I can only think of penalties for a too high concentration of troops when attacking (traffic jams).

Reactions:
No different from how the infantry equipment abstracts things like uniforms and boots and other things infantry need in addition to just rifles and hand grenades. Not to mention how one item of infantry equipment equips 10 soldiers. What's so weird to you about about abstracting things this way?

Maybe the sprite could be slightly redone and artillery could be renamed "Artillery equipment" or something, but I don't really see the need.

twelve (12) guns
combat width one (1)
ORG
to 36

But do you want this for gameplay reasons, or for realism and authenticity? Because granularity for granularity's sake is for the BlackICE mod.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Zero combatwidth artillery would make that the only thing worth building.

twelve (12) guns
combat width one (1)
ORG
to 36

This is a change that I would like a lot as it bothers me that the large Art is difficult to fit in units easily.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What's so weird to you about about abstracting things this way?
My issue is with the equipment count.
But do you want this for gameplay reasons, or for realism and authenticity?
Historical accuracy. Same issue I have with the manpower values. The equipment values affect gameplay.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Commenting on the artillery discussion. After reading some developers' posts in the threads below and noticing how they shut down several threads last week, I believe they would rather see us discuss combat stats and widths here, rather than start new thread below, because that discussion is related to this DD.

Since Bitmode showed us that some of the game math has rounding issues that cause noticeably higher equipment losses in units with small amounts of equipment, like 12 guns, it is very possible that the 36 guns shown in a line artillery battalion is a work around. Personally, I would prefer that the rounding issue be fixed and artillery battalions show 12 guns. For me it is not an OCD thing. It helps make the game more intuitive. The more intuitive the game can be, the easier it is for people to learn. Even today, we debate if the 36 guns is a regiment or a battalion, even though the combat stats are probably not worthy of even a battalion.

Even if the number of guns is "fixed", the bigger issue is that artillery in the game does not resemble WW2 in the slightest. Issues like this make it difficult for new players to learn the SP game and, later, to feel comfortable trying out MP. A year or more ago, I was very much excited to try out MP. I was finally winning the SP game on elite, but was still nervous about trying out MP so I came to the forums looking for any tips to reduce my newb errors. You can imagine my surprise, when I learned that much of land combat had been reduced to the best org wall and best tank stack. I have not played an MP game yet. It is not because I do not know a lot about WW2, it is because my intuitively sound decisions will ruin the game for anyone I am playing with.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Edit: you might actually add the ability to assign a sector to an ally (agreement to be accepted by the ally, but usual for the AI). Sounds like a very nice system.
I already see what you're going to do with that at the Eastern Front!
Even if the number of guns is "fixed", the bigger issue is that artillery in the game does not resemble WW2 in the slightest.
Yeah. From what I know, huge battles were essentially a competition of how much ammo you can get delivered for your arty to shoot, depending on what the railways allow; after you've won the artillery duel, only then you launch off your actual attack in HoI4 terms.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I think there may be other solutions, but debugging the method (as opposed to the code) and balancing it might be a mission. One I have thought about is to set artillery CW to 0 and artillery hit points to close to zero. That would mean that having insufficient infantry/front line cover for the guns should lead to them evaporating as soon as they take non-org damage (and you could make the org 0, too, but I'd be inclined to say that org should be more additive - maybe a root sum sort of thing).

• 2Like
Reactions:
I already see what you're going to do with that at the Eastern Front!
Mainly Italy and France, for me, most probably. But it seems like a reasonable tool to have; if you expose allies too much, you might end up sending them help to get them out of a hole... ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
So it means that if you want to defend against tanks, you still have to go big into AT guns. Shame.
Well, yeah? Thats what AT guns are for (take a guess what AT stands for).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

Hope you change it to 12 guns. 36 guns has never made sense historically or rationally.

And lift the arbitrary 5 support company limit while you're at it.

• 5Like
Reactions:

This is a change that I would like a lot as it bothers me that the large Art is difficult to fit in units easily.
In eu4 artillery fires from behind and no one ever said it is the only thing worth building.

But your comment just gave me an idea: Artillery should have between 0 and 3 combat width. Zero if you have a ratio of 1 art per 3 Inf/Motorized and growing for each inf/mot missing in the regiment up to 3!

Reactions: