• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 29th November 2016

Hi everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. We’re now in the phase where we have just released the big post-expansion patch and there is not really all that much new stuff to show as development is starting on the next expansion.

These development diaries tend to be not so popular, as we don’t reveal much as it simply isn’t finished. So what can we say in this development diary? Well, some vague hints, and some indication of the future?

We have taken a lot into account that large major improvements and thematically connected features are what you prefer. Currently we have four more major expansions more or less fleshed out, with themes that you have requested a lot and that I feel you will love. The next one will have a focus on X and Y.

One thing that you have noticed with first Mare Nostrum and then with Rights of Man, is the concept of States In 1.19 we even added thicker borders between states. The reason for this emphasis on States is that it will give us the possibility for more mechanics in the game, while reducing micromanagement somewhat, and still have allow for fun maneuvering during wars. In the next expansion, we’ll be doing further enhancements to our states.

One cool little thing we’re doing with 1.20 for those of you that like to mod the game. We’re adding support for modders to add modifiers to cultures and culture-groups, both for province and country scope. This is for those that want a super-historically-correct mod where Swedes naturally have a +50% bonus to awesome_game_development.

SWE_loadingscreen_Gustav_II_Adolf_01.png

Stay tuned, next week we’ll start showing off one of the first features in 1.20 update.

Don't miss today's developer multiplayer clash at 15:35 (new time today only) on https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Some Asian improvements would be awesome. At this state of the game it's rather annoying playing as any country outside of Europe b/c of institutions. I know it's called Europa Universalis, but it'd be nice to see more flavor in the Southeast Asian regions *cough* Vietnam *cough*. But the things you guys have developed lately are commendable, even though the AI is really dumb in some cases (Especially how we can't control their armies directly or at least influence who or where they'd attack.) Anyways great work guys

Reactions:
I hope next patch will focus on Asia and some Johan-forgotten East European country :oops:

The Almighty never forgets about anything.
He just concedes that our limited minds cannot encompass it all at one time, and hence delivers his bounty in suitable chunks.

Reactions:
We have taken a lot into account that large major improvements and thematically connected features are what you prefer. Currently we have four more major expansions more or less fleshed out, with themes that you have requested a lot and that I feel you will love. The next one will have a focus on X and Y.

Add a Z, and United States get a CB on Revolutionary France?

Reactions:
The best news any dev diary could give me is, "It'll take 6+ months before it is done." That way, I just might finish a campaign before a new patch/DLC breaks everything. Again. :p

Seriously, though. The one-month interval between 1.18 and 1.19 was just too short for a game where any playthrough can take hundreds of hours. Even with the beta patch rollbacks, Paradox has a huge issue with their incompatibility across versions when they are rolled out this frequently. I so wish Paradox games weren't so vulnerable to patch updates.
1.18 saves are compatible with the 1.19 patch (did not have any problem in my Naples campain at least), and if you have any problem, you can probably go back to 1.18 via Steam beta system

I really hope we get a strong focus on deepening interplay between all the system that get added via DLCs, since sadly the lack of that is one of the disadvantages of such a modular DLC policy. Otherwise, I am hopeful for more content regarding East Asia and hope for more cool, unique government forms

Yeah, the unique government forms for china and japan, and also improvement of the whole government types system, that I wait for a long, long time!!

Reactions:
So 1.19 is going to remain broken forever, then.
And institutions as well.

Care to elaborate?

Ontopic: Sounds really good! Asia themed expansion would be balls to walls awesome since I really like playing in there too! Malacca into Malay is one of my fave games :)

Reactions:
One thing that you have noticed with first Mare Nostrum and then with Rights of Man, is the concept of States In 1.19 we even added thicker borders between states.
Yeah! Next expansion will move buildings and supply to states like in HOI4. And the next one will remove provinces at all - it's not HOI4, so no need for microing with troops. ;)

Reactions:
Care to elaborate?

Ontopic: Sounds really good! Asia themed expansion would be balls to walls awesome since I really like playing in there too! Malacca into Malay is one of my fave games :)
I take it you didn't read the 1.19 patch notes, didn't play the 1.19 beta, haven't seen a single post since it came out, and never play a country that ever takes Exploration or Expansion, has mountains, is horde, or uses protectorates (thanks El_Cid_ for the reminder that protectorates are still broken). Nor did you notice institutions breaking Exploration's CB on primitives in 1.18, I imagine.

I'm exaggerating slightly for effect, but seriously, 1.19 doesn't seem broken at all to you?

Last edited:
Reactions:
The fort ZOC is still broken, so focusing on that would be great. I can see the problems that the area system caused, so makes sense to not go for that.

Maybe there could be a way to build walls in non-fort provinces that are within a fort's ZOC for a small amount. Taking a fort would deactivate the walls within its ZOC (or flip them to the occupier?). A wall is only active if it is next to another wall, or a fort. Movement along the coast (with walls) can be permitted as well, up to the first fort.

Reactions:
@Johan I like thematically connected features but prefer when they have been fully thought out and PLAYtested.

I like the game within the game that Institutions provide but the way it was introduced without consideration for how it would affect expansion into the New World as well as Protectorates was awful.

Reactions:
Please, please please let this patch focus on Asia! I love Japan, China, Southeast Asia.. But they haven't gotten any love! A lot of the mechanics are from an earlier time in this game's development and the whole place seems really outdated. Something fresh there would be absolutely wonderful.

Reactions: