• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone! We’re getting close to release and there’s not much left to cover in our Development Diaries. So today's diary will be about things I think we’ve missed in previous ones. Even though we have had 57 development diaries, not including this one, there’s still been things that have slipped. So it will be sort of a leftover scraps Dev Diary. First up, shortcut/hotkeys.

So how it used to work in order to set up your own shortcut keys in the interface of EU4 you had to mod the interface files, or download a mod from the Steam Workshop. But we’ve now implemented a way for you to configure these settings inside the game instead. EU4 is a game with a lot of interfaces and buttons so we can’t really have a settings screen listing every single possible shortcut. So instead we added this button in the game.

1590497415294.png

Clicking on that will let you then click on any button in the interface that has a shortcut and assign it a new one. Clicking on let’s say the Split in Half button for armies will prompt you with this.

1590497457219.png

Letting you pick whatever key shortcut you want for that button.

Next is a pet peeve of many, your subjects using their colonist for settlement growth where or when you don’t want it. So we’ve added a simple little Subject interaction where you can allow or forbid this to specific subjects.

1590497428132.png

So not much to say there, so let’s move on to something I’ve seen discussed from time to time within the community, which is the French Vassal Swarm. I thought I had already covered this before but no harm in being extra clear. France starts with a very powerful nobility estate and a special privilege specifically for them.

1590497438632.png

Besides being in control of a lot of land from the start, this privilege also gives them +10% Influence making it a hard one to get rid of. There is an equivalent that exists for any other nation that is not French as well, the requirement to pick it requires that you have at least 2 vassals. I hope this clears up any potential misunderstandings from our previous talks about the French Vassal Swarm.

Minority Expulsions have gotten changes to try and make Europe not too homogenous in culture. IT no longer costs diplo power but it also does not convert the home province of the culture/religion. The modifiers that affect its costs are now focused on the money cost instead of the diplo cost. The development that you get in the new world province now also reduces the amount of development that “stays” in the home province to represent the movement of people, and through that sort of making it cheaper for you to culture convert at home. We’ve also made the AI very reluctant to do it overall.

We’ve done some smaller balance changes. First we’ve changed so you can’t overrun an army that can fill out it’s combat width. Overrun being the mechanic where you insta wipe on day 1 if you have 10x the size of the enemy. Going forward we are also looking into redoing some policies values like the 20% Infantry Combat Ability, try and lower the sources of Army Tradition as a whole as we don’t want it to be this easy to get a floor of 100% Army Tradition. We are also looking at reviewing the Hussite modifiers.

I want to end this Development Diary by retracting one of our previous promises, we said at the start of working on this patch that we would solve so you could restart back to the menu. However we have to admit defeat here as we’ve put a lot of resources in trying to fix it but EU4’s architecture simply can’t support resetting it’s game state properly. So even though we thought we had an early victory in getting this to work, after intensive testing it’s shown that we are basically still at square 1. I am very sorry that we have to backtrack on this, especially if it was something you were looking forward to.

Next Dev Diary will be the patch notes for the 1.30 Update.

Isn't the "French Strong Duchies" privilege too generous? -10 absolutism is negligible and you will still be able to hit the cap easily, influence can also be reduced. Meanwhile +3 diplomatic relations is a massive buff unseen in national ideas or other permanent modifiers. I see no reason why you'd want to get rid of it in the late game.
Maybe there will be some condition on it like "only active when you have at least two vassals"?

Reactions:
Err, no. By that exact quote, they stated that they would have "answers and solutions" to avoid France being "horrendously overpowered" in the early game.
This means that they were well aware that the vassal swarm would strengthen France and would include mechanisms to prevent them from being "overpowered"

Not necessarily at all. I understood it to mean that whilst they are happy with the new challenge of centralizing france as IRL they are aware it could buff them/make them OP and have a solution to avoid that. If ones is trying to avoid something being “horrendously overpowered“, in my mind that means that they do not intend it to be a buff.

That statement does not mean that the vassal swarm was supposed to be a "nerf", as the poster that I replied to claimed. It was clearly supposed to be a buff, and Paradox promised that they would try not to make it too much of a buff.

“clearly supposed to be” is an inference with no evidence that you have established. Furthermore it doesn’t make sense to buff an already OP nation without an explicit rationale for doing so (I wouldn’t really call them OP b/cause IRL they are one of the most powerful nations but you get my point) I don’t remember the devs mentionIng that they wanted to buff France.

I thought you were asking a question in earnest hence my posting the quote where they mentioned it. Again they way I read that DevD is that they wanted to simulate the trials of centralizing France rather than just buff them.

Reactions:
Next Dev Diary will be the patch notes for the 1.30 Update.
Will unit renders be released then as well or are those coming on release day?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Minority Expulsions have gotten changes to try and make Europe not too homogenous in culture. IT no longer costs diplo power but it also does not convert the home province of the culture/religion. The modifiers that affect its costs are now focused on the money cost instead of the diplo cost. The development that you get in the new world province now also reduces the amount of development that “stays” in the home province to represent the movement of people, and through that sort of making it cheaper for you to culture convert at home. We’ve also made the AI very reluctant to do it overall.
Best change in the patch

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
As someone who usually plays the campaign till the end I got to ask for it: please, PLEASE add an 'exit game' button to end game screen. I rarely want to start a new campaign right after I finish one, and having to wait for the game to restart (or alt+F4) only to exit the game is plain stupid.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Yepp you can, the Monopoly privileges are examples of those. They also have an effect when cooldown ends so you can hook in whatever you want. In monopoly's cases the estate will ask the crown if they are willing to renew the monopoly.

View attachment 581839
View attachment 581840
Very nice, thanks.
Already got the gears turning for some mods to be ready almost as soon as Emperor releases.

Reactions:
Hello everyone! We’re getting close to release and there’s not much left to cover in our Development Diaries. So today's diary will be about things I think we’ve missed in previous ones. Even though we have had 57 development diaries, not including this one, there’s still been things that have slipped. So it will be sort of a leftover scraps Dev Diary. First up, shortcut/hotkeys.

So how it used to work in order to set up your own shortcut keys in the interface of EU4 you had to mod the interface files, or download a mod from the Steam Workshop. But we’ve now implemented a way for you to configure these settings inside the game instead. EU4 is a game with a lot of interfaces and buttons so we can’t really have a settings screen listing every single possible shortcut. So instead we added this button in the game.

As someone who's left handed I appreciate this! Though I have a question. Where is this data stored and what format is it? (I'm asking as I'm curious if I or someone else) could hack together something that could allow for some form of an external list to customize these hotkeys in some way. I absolutely appreciate what is previewed for hotkeys, but it'll take me ages to find every hotkey that I cant use and figure out what I want it to be without a list.

Reactions:
As someone who's left handed I appreciate this! Though I have a question. Where is this data stored and what format is it? (I'm asking as I'm curious if I or someone else) could hack together something that could allow for some form of an external list to customize these hotkeys in some way. I absolutely appreciate what is previewed for hotkeys, but it'll take me ages to find every hotkey that I cant use and figure out what I want it to be without a list.
There is a short list on the wiki so you can use it as a base if you wish https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Controls

Also, not sure if applies to EU4, but some keys are contextual and may have different actions depending on the active window. Others may be able to correct/offer more info than me.

Reactions:
Hi sir!

I love the dd of the new dlc and I already bought it, just a request, can we have a button to prioritize some provinces to "auto colonize"
thanks for the rest and good work with the game!

Reactions:
What’s the point of Minority expulsion now?
Advantage is only culture conversion cost?
Reducing homeland’s dev is worse than gaining dev at new world.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I want to end this Development Diary by retracting one of our previous promises, we said at the start of working on this patch that we would solve so you could restart back to the menu. However we have to admit defeat here as we’ve put a lot of resources in trying to fix it but EU4’s architecture simply can’t support resetting it’s game state properly. So even though we thought we had an early victory in getting this to work, after intensive testing it’s shown that we are basically still at square 1. I am very sorry that we have to backtrack on this, especially if it was something you were looking forward to.

Really time to change the name of the button to "Restart" should make people less likely to be unhappy in what it does.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why should we even use minority expulsion anymore? And why did we buy Golden Century DLC anyway!!!!

Why should I sacrifice Sevilla's 3 development to increase Havana's 3 development while not even the Andalusian culture of Sevilla is replaced by my own.

Horrific change, the absolute worst part of Emperor update.

Edit: Decreasing army tradition sources and infantry combat ability from policies is the second worst idea in Emperor update.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The development that you get in the new world province now also reduces the amount of development that “stays” in the home province to represent the movement of people, and through that sort of making it cheaper for you to culture convert at home.
Please no. It is worthless. It will be an unnecessary feature for people to purchase Golden Century DLC.

• 9Like
Reactions: