• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 14th of May 2019

Welcome again to another EU4 Dev Diary. This week, I will be presenting a few of the German mission trees we have been working on that will come as paid content for those who buy the expansion that will accompany the large European update planned at the end of the year.

Our aim with the expansion is to provide the major powers of continental Europe (from Brest to Constantinople) with sizeable mission trees (15+ missions), adding to each country’s unique experience. These will be paid content. We also hope to (time permitting) add smaller, free mission trees of around 5-10 missions to various other interesting countries that, for one reason or another, we were unable to give full mission trees.

In the context of Germany (today, I speak of Germany in the modern sense of the word), Brandenburg-Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony have been given full mission trees, and we hope to add a few missions for the other regional formables (Franconia etc) and electors. I also hear @neondt has a soft spot for Dithmarschen, and certain other beloved minors may get some additions.

Now, onto those missions we’ve made.

NB: Most new missions presented have wip mission icons and will receive new ones before release.

Bavaria (available to Munich, Landshut, Ingolstadt and Bavaria)

Bavarian Missions.png

Bavaria already has a few free missions. These have been reworked a bit to reflect Bavaria’s new starting position and supplemented by a further 15 missions. In terms of conquests, the existing missions broadly focus on Bavaria’s historical gains over our time period, so the new missions go a bit further and represent the aims that a more successful Bavarian state may have had, giving you the chance to reclaim lands owned by the Bavarian stem duchy at its height (c. 975 AD) and various other territories the Wittelsbachs had once held (e.g. Brandenburg and the Netherlands). Furthermore, the new conquest mission tree includes the opportunity to request that the Emperor grant you the Palatinate’s elector status if you PU them (it also gives the appropriate CB to do so) and lets you set up your dynasty in Cologne.

Further branches of the new mission tree focus on developing your homelands and your nation’s capabilities, dealing with new ideas that might emerge among your subjects over the course of the game, and of course, assuming Bavaria’s rightful position among the states of Germany.

Saxony (available to Saxony and Thuringia)

Saxon Missions.png

Saxony had no country-unique missions. As one of the key powers of the HRE in the first half of our period, we decided to correct this and have added 16 new missions. The conquest missions focus, on the one hand, on avoiding the fragmentation with which they were beset in history and conquering lands that had once been part of the Saxon stem duchy (e.g. Brunswick, Westphalia), and on the other, on replicating the exploits of the likes of Frederick Augustus I, also known as Augustus II the Strong, who became the King of Poland-Lithuania as well as Prince-Elector of Saxony.

A further branch focuses on the prestige of the Prince-Elector and entails the foundation of Wittenberg University, winning the religious wars, spreading the dynasty far and wide (a branch of it still rules Britain under the name “Windsor”), and taking on the title of King.

Finally, the economic branch gives you the opportunity to change Dresden/Meissen’s trade good to porcelain, make Leipzig a centre of trade (it became an important commercial centre over this period) and industrialise Saxony.

Brandenburg-Prussia (available to Brandenburg and Prussia)

Brandenburg Missions.png

Like Bavaria, Brandenburg and Prussia already had a few missions. These have been incorporated into their new, larger mission tree, which focuses on the one hand on Prussia establishing itself as the preeminent German state, the unification Germany under them, and their conquests in the east; and on the other on replicating the feats of military organisation the Prussian state achieved in the 18th century, and generally on Prussia having the appearance as well as the military of a great power of Europe. Furthermore, in a tribute to alt-history, a couple of missions were dedicated to making a success of Brandenburg’s (historically abortive) colonial ambitions.

Note: The missions Army Reforms and An Army with a State only become available once Prussia is formed.

That’s it for today. Next week we’ll be back to map changes, with @Ofaloaf presenting the new-look Italy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
certain other beloved minors may get some additions

Could this mean Ulm?

Great job, what about Switzerland, Bohemia and Austria? Will their mission trees change? Will we see the Austria map the with Italy one, with the balkans one or will there be an Austria only dev diary?
Edit: also a mission tree for the Palatinate would be nice since it was a massively important country in the 30 years war (leader of the protestant league)

Neither Switzerland; Austria or Bohemia fit into the 'modern Germany' focus of this Dev Diary. Remember the DLC is set for Q4; aka Winter. Like; half a year.

Plenty of time.

As others have said what about Hanseatic missions for Lübeck, Hamburg, and Bremen? These would naturally more focus on controlling the Baltic and North Sea coasts instead of uniting Germany.

If we succeed as Dithmarschen and convert the save to Vicky 2, would we be able to remain a Proletarian Dictatorship? (even if the representation there is bastardised to no end, but still)
No joke, can't wait to form the 18th century Dictatorship of the Proletariat, I bet these missions will be interesting :D
upload_2019-5-14_12-33-59.png

Reactions:
Hmn, I find it interesting that a nation that hasn't achieved much apart from infighting in the EU4 timeframe (Bavaria) is getting a unique Mission tree, while the Hansa (arguably the largest German player [Germany excluding Austria here] in the first third(?) of the time frame) doesn't get unique missions.

Reactions:
That feeling when a paid game dev is making far less content than a mod maker doing it in his free time xD!

For reference look at steam workshop for "mission expanded" mod and compare it to what we have here, or in eu4 generally.

Last edited:
I really like the look of all of these mission trees first of all. Speaking only for myself but I find that the mission trees, especially those given some dlc levels of attention such as those in India, Russia and Britain all create interest and goals from the early to mid game at least. I am sure that other major countries will be getting some love (If Austria doesn't have a kick ass mission set i'll eat my hat), but as the last dev diary showed there will be lots of lovely little minors added. I'm glad that the Bavarian mission tree is shared and if I might make a suggestion this could be expanded to the other minors. Perhaps like India by region, or perhaps government, or for entities such as Bavaria. I do know that expecting 15+ missions trees for every nation is excessive.

Now having said all of that I would be very surprised if this idea hasn't a) already occurred to the devs, or b) there are issues I haven't forseen. What I can say is that the mission trees teased look fun with a combination of expansion and internal politics which is great. Looking forward to seeing more of these in the coming weeks!

Dang, too bad Scandinavia is being left out of Europe for the update. I admit to having a soft spot for playing Norway in particular or Finland if I can get it freed. But I'm probably in a small niche for that.

And as silly as it sounds (because it would be massively silly) I'd have loved to see some way to finagle Sami dominion over the frozen north. Though that one I'm sure I'd be nigh alone in wanting to see.

Guess I should start honin' my HRE play though, see if I can hit the ground running when it comes out, as I've mostly avoided getting into that quagmire so far.

Re Bavarian minors - other Bavarian minors can form Bavaria and get Bavarian missions. The tree was made with specifically Wittelsbach (ducal) Bavaria in mind, so the fit for the others isn't 100% perfect, hence why they don't start with the missions, but it is totally doable for them to get them.

Isn't Prussia's government already DLC locked? (Common sense maybe?) Will you make those new missions available to the owners of that DLC? I understand that prussia is popular, but it feels like milking it 2 different ways.

We never require multiple DLC's to access mission content. If we have a cool idea that involves features or content from another DLC, we'll implement it but add a fallback scenario for players without that DLC. We're not looking to exclude anyone from accessing content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There's still a long time before the release of our European expansion, so do let us know if there are any other minor nations you think are deserving of a little extra love.

Aachen might receive some love. I know it's only a free city from 1444 to 1792 but as the former capital of the Carolingian Empire, many Holy Roman Emperors were crowned there until 1531. I think this TAG needs something special, nothing extravagant of course, just flavor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can we expect something in the new Brandenburg missions that pushes them towards Protestantism? I somewhat often see Brandenburg getting everything it needs for Prussia, but not forming Prussia because they are still Catholic.

I don't know if missions is exactly the place for that or how it would work exactly, but just an idea.

Everything is fine. Any regulation related to the cavalry will not come ? cavalry is not effective at this time There must be a study about that.This is only my think. you need create reason to use cavalry

Reactions:
Hmn, I find it interesting that a nation that hasn't achieved much apart from infighting in the EU4 timeframe (Bavaria) is getting a unique Mission tree, while the Hansa (arguably the largest German player [Germany excluding Austria here] in the first third(?) of the time frame) doesn't get unique missions.
Huh?
Bavaria was the leader of the Catholic Union, it obtained an electorate as a result of the Thirty Year War, it was Louis XIV's main ally in the Empire and a big player in the War of Spanish Succession, it obtained the emperorship briefly in 1742 and tried to take over the Kingdom of Bohemia, it was united with the Palatinate and Jülich-Berg in 1777, expanded massively (taking over, to use the new map presented in last week's dev diary, the provinces of Augsburg, Regensburg, Ansbach, Nürnberg, Würzburg, Bamberg, Bayreuth and Achaffenburg) and became a kingdom in the Napoleonic Wars.
The Hansa, on the other hand, didn't really function as a country. It did perform a few very impressive naval campaigns (against England and Denmark), but that's about it. No territorial expansion at all on the level of EU4 provinces. Being a "major player" is not all about expansion, and certainly the Hanseatic League was an economic force to be reckoned with and had a significant cultural influence in the whole Baltic area, but your statement is just, and I hope this doesn't sound rude, ignorant.
Besides, no one said that there won't be unique Hanseatic missions. I certainly hope there will be, and I hope Paradox will use the excellent thread in the suggestions forum by @Me_ as a source of inspiration.