• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Development Diary #8: Climate & Seasons

Hello everyone and welcome to today’s development diary for Cities: Skylines II! Last time we introduced Maps and Themes and now we will continue with two new and exciting map features: Climate and Seasons. For a quick overview check out the video below

In Cities: Skylines maps had different themes that changed the visual atmosphere and environment to represent different climates, but maps using the same theme would work the same meaning two boreal cities would experience the same climate or length of day. In Cities: Skylines II we have replaced that system with a whole new feature in the form of Climates! It brings changing seasons to the game and makes each map a unique gaming experience with its own Climate that is based on real-world locations, ranging from the Finnish countryside in the North to Brisbane in the South. Climate controls the changing seasons, length of the day, and weather patterns so they match the seasons and latitude of the map.

1 Sunset.png

Enjoy the unique atmosphere of each map and their climates

CLIMATE & WEATHER
The game features different types of climates with various characteristics unique to each map. Climates are based on latitude and longitude resulting in differences in the length of day and amount of sunlight as well as other elements such as temperature range, amount of cloud coverage, and precipitation. Those parameters mean all maps will introduce different Climates with four distinct seasons.

Climates can be ground into three basic Climate types that act as a foundation for each map’s unique characteristics. Maps based on the Temperate Climate have distinct seasonal changes, moderate precipitation, and a wide temperature range, while maps with the Continental Climate type introduce significant annual variations in temperature. Lastly, we have the Polar regions which feature a short and cold summer and a long-lasting cold winter. You may recognize which category a map falls into based on its displayed temperature range, but as Climates are customized for each map, you will experience significant differences between maps that fall into the Continental group.

Fun fact: Many maps’ Climates are based on real-world locations. For example, River Delta is based on Shanghai, and Lakeland on the Finnish city of Savonlinna.

Weather is closely tied to the climate and represents the climate’s seasonal changes. Each map features unique weather which changes with the simulation. You can encounter various intensities of rainy weather, different cloud coverage, temperature changes, etc.

2 Weather Cloudy.png

Citizens prefer to stay indoors on cold or rainy days and enjoy outdoor activities more during sunny days

The weather has gameplay effects, for example, temperature and the amount of rain or sun affect citizens’ behavior when they are deciding if they want to use a park or indoor leisure activities. Citizens prefer indoor activities when the temperature is low or it is raining. Temperature also realistically affects the city’s energy consumption with hot weather increasing the energy consumption as the city needs air conditioning to keep cool. In cold weather, the city needs heating causing energy consumption to increase again.

TIME & SEASONS
With both a day and night cycle and seasons at release, Cities: Skylines II handles time differently than its predecessor. One cycle through day and night equals one month and each season lasts about three months, with one year in the game taking twelve in-game days. The length of the day-night cycle is based on the map’s climate and current season with nights being longer during the winter. As the sun sets the building lights and street lights come on, lighting the way for citizens.

3 Night time.png

Experience rush hours as the day comes to an end and settles into a calm night

Seasons affect more than just the amount of sunlight in a day though. Depending on the Climate, temperature changes over the course of the whole year, as does the chance of rain and cloud coverage. During cold months snow falls and covers the ground of maps with Climates that include cold seasons. When there is snow, the Road Maintenance building’s snowplows take care of excess snow on the roads, keeping up the road condition to reduce the risk of accidents. The map’s location plays an important role when it comes to seasons as cities located in the southern hemisphere experience the seasons at opposite times of the year compared to the northern hemisphere.

4 Winter.png

Keep your citizens warm and your roads clear as snow blankets the city

Like in Cities: Skylines the game speed is adjustable with three speed options to choose from, as well as the option to pause the game at any time. When the game is playing at normal speed the in-game day is a bit over an hour in real life. At the highest speed, the in-game day is one-third of the normal speed in real-life.

NATURAL DISASTERS
Beyond the normal weather phenomenons, Cities: Skylines II includes natural disasters adding random events and challenging gameplay. Disasters can be switched on and off when starting a new game or loading an existing save. Disasters can affect your city in many ways, and while you can prepare for possible natural disasters with disaster control systems, they can’t be avoided completely. On the mild end of the spectrum, disasters might cause traffic accidents that lead to traffic jams, which can further affect your services’ ability to respond to the disaster. They cause damage to buildings and citizens directly hit by the disaster, which burdens healthcare, deathcare, and rescue services and causes disruptions to the companies or services housed in the affected buildings.

Natural disasters are logged into the Event Journal which can be found in the right side panel of the main UI. The journal includes past events in chronological order and information about what happened, when it happened, and what outcome the event had.

FOREST FIRE
Forest fires can happen in all climates though the risk of a forest fire happening is affected by precipitation level and temperature, for example, dry weather has a higher risk of forest fires breaking out. A forest fire near buildings can spread to them causing building fires and wreaking havoc in the city. It is important to take care of forest fires to prevent harm to the city.

You can prepare for forest fires by placing Firewatch Towers on the map. They decrease forest fire probability and firefighters' response time within their range, limiting the fallout if a forest fire should happen. Fire trucks can extinguish a fire when it reaches the road network but placing a Firefighting Helicopter Depot in your city helps to put out the fire in places where fire trucks have no access.

5 Forest fire.png

Make sure your firefighting helicopters are ready for the dry season and increased risk of forest fires

HAIL STORM
When the weather is cold, but not freezing, there is a possibility of a Hail storm occurring. Hail storms cause physical damage to buildings but do not destroy them. The damaged buildings need to be repaired after the storm and the money and resources for those repairs come from the residents taking away from means that would usually go to building upkeep and leveling. A Hail storm can also cause traffic accidents, which of course interrupts the traffic flow. The citizens don’t need to evacuate but they prefer staying indoors during a Hail storm.

TORNADO
The Tornado is the most extreme natural disaster included in Cities: Skylines II. It affects citizens, vehicles, and buildings and can cause serious damage to them as it moves through the city. The buildings can get damaged or even destroyed by the Tornado, citizens can get injured or die, and a lot of traffic accidents tend to happen in the area the Tornado hits.

The best way to prepare for extreme natural disasters is by placing Small and Large Emergency Shelters in your city so that they are easily reachable for citizens. The Early Disaster Warning System can spot approaching natural disasters and informs citizens earlier to go to the shelters in time to avoid the disaster. The citizens will run to the shelters and the large emergency shelters feature evacuation buses that are deployed at the same time as the evacuation order. The evacuation buses will plan their path based on population density, prioritizing schools, medical clinics, and hospitals.

6 Tornado.png

Emergency Shelters keep your citizens safe while a tornado sweeps through the city

That concludes our development diary and we hope you enjoyed this look at the weather and seasons! With or without disasters enabled, weather affects your city and its inhabitants, and the map you choose to build your city brings different challenges for you to handle. Which of these features are you most excited about? We’d love to hear your thoughts! Next week we dive into the nitty-gritty details of your city’s Economy & Production.

cs2-devdiaries-schedule-forum.jpg

• 26Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
I was very excited for the announcement of this feature and I am little bit disappointed about how sparse this Dev Diary is in terms of details. However, pointing out that weather will impact the daily habits of Cims is very interesting, as it suggests that these "weather" events need to last long enough for them to cause meaningful change in activities (similar to what Banished attempted?). This suggests seasons will be quite impactful, but, again, further details would have been better than needing to speculate. Either way, it's an exciting new addition but I hope we'll hear and see more soon.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
If the climate and seasons are customized per map, then it means we could create our own custom presets?

Also, how come the tornados are the most "extreme" natural disaster in the game? What happened to earthquakes, tsunamis, sinkholes, and thunderstorms from the previous game?

• 6Like
Reactions:
I was very excited for the announcement of this feature and I am little bit disappointed about how sparse this Dev Diary is in terms of details. However, pointing out that weather will impact the daily habits of Cims is very interesting, as it suggests that these "weather" events need to last long enough for them to cause meaningful change in activities ...
With both a day and night cycle and seasons at release, Cities: Skylines II handles time differently than its predecessor. One cycle through day and night equals one month and each season lasts about three months, with one year in the game taking twelve in-game days.
With both a day and night cycle and seasons at release, Cities: Skylines II handles time differently than its predecessor. One cycle through day and night equals one month and each season lasts about three months, with one year in the game taking twelve in-game days.
so 3 hrs

Reactions:
So can we get holiday events like Christmas in month 12 or Halloween during month 10. I remember one of the SimCity games doing this I think. Christmas parade or zombies in the graveyards.

Will climates affect flora and fauna available in the map? Crops should be affected as well not to mention impacting any fisheries in the rivers and oceans.

How about rivers and small lakes? Will they freeze over disrupting shipping. I mean some northern ports become unusable due to the ocean freezing over. Would be interesting seeing ice breakers clearing a path to your ports. Also brings up the picture of rail snow plows clearing tracks as well.

Also feels like there will be some dlc's with more climates and disasters in the pipeline.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I wish there were hurricanes in the game.
Honestly, I wish there were more smaller 'curveballs' and fewer major disasters. Someone used the Crusader Kings series as an example of games that are really good at throwing new developments and challenges at you that force you to think in a new way and deal with problems you haven't faced before. In CS2, this could be weather events, but also things like fluctuations in demand for a given good or service over time, an increase or decrease in migration to/from your city, etc. (I could probably come up with more exciting things than that if I gave it more time). Players would have the option to turn these curveballs off, of course, same way you can turn off natural disasters.

Then again, traffic accidents are probably a good example of exactly what I'm talking about here. These minor events that put a wrench in your gears and may force you to adapt your road network.

• 3Like
Reactions:
dunno. Snow seems to just be a texture change with some vague gameplay effects, but trees stay the same, people don't use umbrellas in the rain or anything of that sort; nothing too interesting I feel. I guess maybe it affects your choices of energy production?

Yeahyeah only hype allowed, but can't say this seems too interesting to me. Visually doesn't do anything and skeptical on whether the gameplay impact will actually feel impactful.

• 5Like
Reactions:
It's really great we have seasons now, but I was kinda expecting a flood/drought system, as to me they seem like a more recurring natural disaster than tornadoes, for example. I also miss earthquakes - and consequently tsunamis. Hope they get readded at some point.

• 6Like
Reactions:
No Tropical climate?

Yeah, the lack of dry/desert and tropical climates is disappointing. There are five basic climate types, and we're conspicuously getting only three, and losing Tropical from CS1.

As pointed out by City Planner Plays over on YouTube, 49% of the world's population lives in dry and tropical climates, and that's not including subtropical / Mediterranean climates, which would bring it up to a definite majority of the world by population. We'll see how the latitude / longitude selection figures into this, but it doesn't look like we should really expect desert or tropical assets or foliage.

As CPP points out though, these are patently obvious candidates for DLC. Not sure how I feel about losing a feature from CS1 so it can be sold to me as a DLC for the sequel...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's really great we have seasons now, but I was kinda expecting a flood/drought system, as to me they seem like a more recurring natural disaster than tornadoes, for example. I also miss earthquakes - and consequently tsunamis. Hope they get readded at some point.
I agree - a flood and drought system would have been fantastic. It's much more common than extreme events like tornadoes or tsunamis - it touches many/most people at one point or another, and it's ever more relevant with the changing climate.

Speaking of which, it doesn't look like climate change is a feature in any way at all. Climates don't appear to experience any kind of change or variation. Seems like a missed opportunity, and kind of a strange omission for a game where climates and seasons appear to be probably the most significant and obvious new feature.

• 7Like
Reactions:
One cycle through day and night equals one month and each season lasts about three months, with one year in the game taking twelve in-game days.
[...]
When the game is playing at normal speed the in-game day is a bit over an hour in real life. At the highest speed, the in-game day is one-third of the normal speed in real-life.
I'm a bit puzzled by the time scale choise here - on one hand I like the idea that one day is reflected in one real world hour which feels to be good on vanilla.

However I think 1 day = 1 month is a bit off as this leads to weekends being never a factor on the simulation while they are of course in real life. Offices and schools usually shut down on weekends so families visit parks or go shopping.
I instead would have loved to have more time acceleration options (2x being 10x game speed (one day in 6min), 3x being 100x game speed (one day in 36sec with just a basic simulation for fast forwarding with random drop offs when disasters strike) but having a proper calendar in place) :)

A full month (31 days) would take 18.6 minutes in 100x speed, so a year would roughly be completed in 3h which is even faster than the approach described (a year on 3x game speed would take 4h straight)

Anyway I think the approach chosen is the most efficient one for all players to see all seasons within a random gaming day. I just hope there will be a good api in place allowing modders to alter this behavior ;)

Reactions:
Yeah, the lack of dry/desert and tropical climates is disappointing.

To me this is not yet confirmed. They don't right now feature a map with these climates which does not mean this could not be done using a map or theme editor and being uploaded to Paradox Mods/Steam Workshop for all to enjoy ;)

As he points out though, these are likely to be DLC. Not sure how I feel about pretty basic things being chopped out of the game to be sold as DLC later

I pretty much doubt that for the important stuff - on C:S1 there were also "just" tropical maps for free, not much more. With addition of the theme editor also climate settings came for free and I think it's the same story this time. In fact comparing both releases they "chopped" like two maps which didn't even have had a climate setting at start (it was just a different light color tone controlled by LUTs).

I guess whenever CO decides to release a desert/tropical related DLC (so a pack of buildings and a theme along this) they will release at least one map for this climate region within a free update. Some other maps will be content of the DLC ofc.

Reactions:
Thanks for the weekly Dev Diary. I have four questions / suggestions:

1. Somebody else asked already a similar question: Does each day (i.e. month) have the same weather for 24 hours? I hope not. Hope it could be rainy in the morning (1st half of month) and sunny and warmer in the afternoon (2nd half of month). Having to play one full hour in the rain might get a bit frustrating sooner or later (at most locations on the planet it doesn't rain for a full month)

2. Could we switch individual disasters on/off? I would much appreciate that and it looks from other comments that I am not alone. I would be interested in handling Forest Fire and Hail Storm but no extreme disasters that crush my city like Tornados.

3. A suggestion: Would it be possible to select how many days a month has (maybe 1-3)? Currently one month has one day. Maybe some players would like to have two or three days per month, so the seasonal rotation does not come that quickly. Plus it would be possible to experience more different weather events per season / month. The Farming Simulator game allows for such a setting

4. The speed selection, does it only affect the duration in real life, maintaining the simulation speed, or is it - like in CS1 - accelerating the simulation as such (i.e. people walk faster, cars go faster, etc.), incl. also accelerating the duration of time. I think we should have both speed options independently. On one hand the simulation speed slider, to accelerate the simulation. And on the other hand the time speed slider, that determines how long a day cycle is in real minutes (but does not affect the simulation speed, i.e. people don't walk faster/slower, etc.). The Transport Fever 2 game offers both options and it's very valuable to adjust them to your own personal taste.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh, somebody before me made a really good point: 1 day = 1 month does not allow to simulate a different behavior for workdays and weekends. What a pity, with all the details that CS2 has about weather and seasons that seems to be quite a miss-out. With 3 days per month, you could have 2 workdays and 1 weekend. This would add so many great variation possibilities to the simulation.
Make a standard day 45mins with the option to use the "time speed" slider to extend it to up to 90mins per day or have it down to 30mins or so if you want to go faster (real time speed, not simulation speed, which would be a separate slider, see my previous posting.

Last edited: