• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary: A Sneak Peek At 1.03

EoS_DevDiarySneakPeek.png

Hey bootleggers!

Word on the street says things are shaking up in Chicago’s underworld. Luckily, we’ve got sources very close to the action, and they’ve got the whole scoop. We ain’t no rats, but this information is too good not to share.

Safehouse Changes

Information is harder to come by these days. Something spooked the bosses around the city, and they’re not taking any more chances. They’ve hidden their Safehouses, and are making extra efforts to keep the location well guarded. On game start, a Safehouse is just another white building somewhere in the neighborhood that can only be revealed by the most shrewd gangsters. They’re not even letting their guards stand out front.

Hidden SafeHouses.png

Sitdowns with other bosses can still go ahead, but you’re only invited to talk in the backroom of one of their rackets as opposed to the fancy office in their Safehouse. If the sitdown doesn’t end well, the enemy boss is still well protected, and there’s a lot of brawling to get through before they reveal their Safehouse location.

To find out how close you are to finding where another boss is hiding, check your diplomacy screen. As you can see in the pictures below, your Discovery Chance is a Safehouse icon and progress wheel shown on the enemy boss’s profile. Once you meet a new faction, your chance of finding them increases by 1% each in-game week.

Discovery Chance 1.png

Discovery Chance 2.png

So how do you find out where a boss is hiding? We’re so glad you asked!

There’s always the old fashioned way of attacking their rackets. This is prohibition Chicago we’re talking about, where anything goes, and enemy bosses are easily pissed off. The chance of them revealing their location increases with each one of their rackets you attack (though that’s a lot easier said than done, more on that later!) There is potential to find clues in their rackets that can lead you to their location, so keep your eyes peeled. Planting a mole amongst their ranks is another way to gain information on their whereabouts. They feed you information as and when they find it.

Your discovery chance is checked every month, and if you pass the threshold, the enemy’s Safehouse is revealed. Once they’ve been rumbled, an event pop-up will tell you where the Safehouse is. As the below image shows, you can decide to view it straight away or wait until you’re good and ready.

SafeHouse Revealed.png

What you do with this information is entirely up to you, but as you know, Chicago’s not built for sharing. The boss knows this too, and once they’re discovered, you’ll notice their guards patrolling out front in preparation for your next move.

Combat changes

Let’s start with exterior combat. Thugs have wised up and are deciding to pick their battles. They don’t just start fighting with anyone in the street anymore, least of all a gang boss. The only way they can be tempted into a brawl is if you try to steal their loot crates.

As for security upgrades with major factions, there must be something in the hooch they’re drinking because security guards have gotten stronger. Tiers have increased so that with each security upgrade, they get much tougher. They have a higher HP and better armor and their attributes have also been seen to - so you can count on them having a better aim for one thing. Their inventories have remained the same, but the gear available to them has gotten better too. Security guards now have access to a stash of uncommon and rare weapons that they’re only itching to use against any opportunistic gang bosses. At security levels 4 and 5, there’s a whole new tier of racket guards on shift, and they are bigger and better than what has come before. In the picture below, you’ll see Goldie giving up the ghost. Take that as a fair warning not to arrive to combat unprepared.

Death Shot.png
If that wasn’t enough to contend with, weapons have lost some of their bite. Critical Damage has been brought down across the board, along with some other attributes. Rifles, for instance, have had their armor damage removed, and the range for sub-machine guns has also been trimmed. As of 1.03, the functionality for armor has been revamped. As utility items, they haven’t changed, but you no longer lose your armor when it’s been riddled with lead. Now, armor gets repaired after combat and over time it gets better and rejuvenates to full protection.

Combat AI has gotten smarter too. Guards are far more likely to calculate their moves as carefully as you do during a fight. Some of the more cowardly guards, known for running around a lot, have had a stern talking-to from the Capos. They’ve grown nerves of steel and now prefer to stand their ground and empty their weapons on you.

tougher-guards-png.675494

Mini-Auto-Resolve

Something we’ve been seeing a lot from player’s feedback is the desire for an auto-resolve in combat. The city is a volatile place, and sometimes it’s better to let skirmishes settle themselves without getting involved. Auto-resolve is a feature that’s coming up soon on our roadmap, though the road to full functionality will happen incrementally. Changes will appear in stages and combat designer Ian O’ Neill has shared what to expect from each one. The first stage, included in 1.03, is a mini-resolve feature. Any external combat that doesn’t include a boss or a gangster will have a pop-up where you can choose to fight, or surrender.

Mini-resolve.png

Following that, the next stage of implementation will have a very simple version of auto-resolve with an option to fight, abandon, or auto-resolve. The final steps will come to fruition over three stages with full UI, full features, and full auto-resolve for combat. But it’s coming!

General Changes

In addition to everything above, there are a number of other tweaks here and there that you’re going to notice around Chicago. There’s been a host of improvements to make your playing experience better. We’ve added some building variation, UI and locale polish, as well as an auto-focusing feature that makes any new mission from boss missions or quest givers the top priority.

Also, remember fast travel? It’s now a thing of the past! Sal’s cabs have undergone a mass exodus of staff - probably from the fear of taxiing around bloodthirsty gangsters all the time - and most of the city’s taxi routes are cut. Bosses and gangsters alike can only travel by taxi to their Safehouse or from one taxi-point to another. Anything beyond that and you’re walking, pal.

No fast travel.png

Thugs have started expressing their individuality! Giving up on copying each other’s appearance, they now have thirteen variations in appearance, all of which are randomly selected. Get a load of their new look in the picture below.

New Thugs.png

That’s all the information we could squeeze from the streets of Chicago for this round. We’ll be sure to report back as soon as we have more. Are you excited to see the new changes? Let us know in the comments below. Until next time gangsters, Happy Sinning!

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
I suppose that’s where you try and find the balance between historical and gameplay.
Also, I’m guessing now you need to forcefully take over rackets to reveal the safe house location in 1.03 you may only take over the remaining 2 or 3 anyway instead of receiving about 10 free. So this may not be as much of an issue.

My thoughts exactly. You've already had to hammer his organization, info is leaking, the Capos will roll over.

I agree up to a point, but I think there needs to be more to it. Each individual racket should have a manager or owner - and it should be up to them whether or not they fall in line with the new boss, defect and offer allegience to their competitor or even break out on their own. If an owner or underboss is very loyal to their previous boss, then it stands to reason that they would hate - or at least dislike - the man or woman that kills them.

My biggest issue is with gameplay - and including more of the "smart businessman" element to the game. I want it to be more than just combat and the few boss fights you are going to have. Part of it needs to be smart management - and building the loyalty of lower level gangsters who might eventually join your cause - or who may choose to join you because they see you have strong business savvy (meaning they know they will make more money working for you). The kill = get everything simplifies the game too much imo. Basically, you can ignore everything else and just focus on hunting down and killing other bosses - which really oversimplifies the strategic layer of the game.

As was said before, you already have to hammer his organization to discover the position of his safehouse. AND, you might not have the location of the safehouse where the boss is actually located.

I started a new playthrough last night and spent four hours watching and logging notes for the Discord. I haven't gotten beyond Angelo Genna running the streets solo doing recon, opening crates, and mapping territories. So the exact nuts and bolts of 'Assault Rackets to Discover Safehouse' AND 'Upgraded Safehouse security' are not in range of my grasp yet.

But give me some time. ;)

As was said before, you already have to hammer his organization to discover the position of his safehouse. AND, you might not have the location of the safehouse where the boss is actually located.

I started a new playthrough last night and spent four hours watching and logging notes for the Discord. I haven't gotten beyond Angelo Genna running the streets solo doing recon, opening crates, and mapping territories. So the exact nuts and bolts of 'Assault Rackets to Discover Safehouse' AND 'Upgraded Safehouse security' are not in range of my grasp yet.

But give me some time. ;)
I like the change to discovering - and Im a few hours into my own playthrough with the new beta patch as well :). All seem to be positive changes - and, again, they feel like enough to make a legitimate fan of the game, but there is definitely room for improvement. One of those, I think, is replacing the "kill= get it all" approach with something a little more strategic.

Again, though, the discovery piece feels good - I just want more :)-

• 1Like
Reactions:
Didn't you yell at me a few days ago because I said the exact same thing? ;)

Good to see you're back in the game.
That was a different conversation - about the difference between meaningful communication (which we did get) and "were working on it." I was glad to see I was wrong about them not being ready to offer meaningful feedback, but I stand by what I said then - if they dont have anything to say, they shouldnt be saying anything.

Regardless, let's not rehash past disagreements in a thread about something entirely different - potential changes post 1.03.

That was a different conversation - about the difference between meaningful communication (which we did get) and "were working on it." I was glad to see I was wrong about them not being ready to offer meaningful feedback, but I stand by what I said then - if they dont have anything to say, they shouldnt be saying anything.

Regardless, let's not rehash past disagreements in a thread about something entirely different - potential changes post 1.03.
Sometimes tone does not translate well, but my comment contained absolutely no disrespect. It was aimed more at me than you and you will find over time my posts on this forum have a talent for laughing at themselves. Take care.

• 1Like
Reactions:
All in all I am happy with the direction this patch is going. But.... I am currently playing the 1.03 beta and there is some oddities.

1. I am now getting crashes from loot boxes. The game freezes and GPU goes to 99% until I kill the game.
2. Randomly a gang member with you will suddenly get information on every safehouse you have met. It's like: "Oh boss I found this safehouse while walking around with you... and this one and this one and this one... Just thought I'd let you know, I am really surprised you didn't notice." If it is going to work this way I would prefer it require we take a racket and do some "questioning" or a active lieutenant in the region.

Reactions:
All in all I am happy with the direction this patch is going. But.... I am currently playing the 1.03 beta and there is some oddities.

1. I am now getting crashes from loot boxes. The game freezes and GPU goes to 99% until I kill the game.
2. Randomly a gang member with you will suddenly get information on every safehouse you have met. It's like: "Oh boss I found this safehouse while walking around with you... and this one and this one and this one... Just thought I'd let you know, I am really surprised you didn't notice." If it is going to work this way I would prefer it require we take a racket and do some "questioning" or a active lieutenant in the region.

The ripple effect on triggers has been a thing for a while now. It's not constant, but I've seen it in other areas as well. Like all of a sudden every minor faction on the board wants to buy alcohol at the exact same moment at $1,000 a head.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry to rain on the parade around here...but these upcoming fixes DON'T MAKE ME WANT TO COME BACK....even if they were released at launch...the game would still get boring fast

No storyline, No relationships to build, No "feeling like the boss of a criminal empire", No newspaper/radio talking about the gang wars/our increasing power/sit down dialog that's meaningful, ect, ect

This game is a lost cause....THEY WANTED OUR MONEY FOR A BASIC,EASY,SHALLOW GAME....and they got it...they won we lost

It's over...the wait continues for someone else to finally make an amazing mafia game

I talked to Brenda on twitter about how to make this a great game that players will keep playing for years and she said NO...she's already on her next project!
The last thing this game needs is a storyline pushing the player in the same direction every time. Strategy and turn based tactical games like this are best when they are sandboxes. I think the current level of story/quests/dialogue are enough - and any more would just get in the way of actually playing the game.

As far as feeling like the boss of a criminal empire, I agree there is some work that needs to be done there, but it isnt as much as people think. They need to tweak how you take over enemy rackets and give us better insight into our own characters and economy (and make decisions related to both of those a little more meaningful). Then - they need to focus on the secondary mechanics like the mole and lieutenant systems. And, of course, build the hireable gangster roster to 10 times the size it is now :) .

As far as them moving on to their next project, we know that isnt the case because there are at least 2 DLCs (likely more) still coming for this game. I don't see them abandoning Empire of Sin for the foreseeable future.

Reactions:
Also, if devs would be kind enough to add weather effects On or Off toggle option in the Graphics settings, it would be a blast. I get 100+ fps at all times except when it's raining in game. It actually drops my fps down to less than 20 then (how on Earth?). Moving my units around the city while zoomed out using map view does not help when it rains either, strangely.
Instead of hard workaround of trying to optimize rain effects, I recommand giving players an option to turn off weather effects for smoother gameplay.
@Svarski That's definitely unexpected. Are you on the latest graphics drivers? Would you mind sending (via DM if you'd prefer) a copy of your dxdiag info? (Win+R, run "dxdiag.exe", click 'Save All Information' and upload that txt file).

Does anyone else see this?

I talked to Brenda...did you? making 2 dlc is not a project...it's been handed to a small team adding a few new cosmetics...they have moved on....deal with the reality not your wishes....as far as not needing story...so what happens after you become the boss? then what? yeah that's right game over! you beat the other families...SO WHAT...now being a "real" mob boss meant that once you take out the other families NEW ONES COME UP...and what to do with all your money you've amassed? well in this game it's useless then...but if they would've added more story lines/quests/marriage opportunities & children grow/mayor elections/police storylines/ect ....KEEP THE GAME IN A NEVER-ENDING GAME....

In this game once you wipe out the other families ...THE GAME IS OVER

That gets old real quick
Hi Purience -- Just to clarify things here, we have not talked. I am not sure where the wires are crossed, but no one has moved on and both me and the entire team remain working on Empire of Sin.

• 3Like
Reactions: