• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
One question that lingers for me in regards to non-barony settlements. Who owns them? As in, who is the bishop, or burgomaster, or whatever subservient to. Presumably they must not be completely independent, or there would be no point to them (unless they acted as a form of opposition or obstacle to the player). I'd assume that at the very least cities provide some tax and levies to some noble.

The obvious answer is the Count, and perhaps I look silly for even asking this question. But that means that the most efficient use of your demesne is to hold just capital baronies so as to maximise the number of cities, churches, and baronies under your control. Though I guess that is counterbalanced by decreasing your power/hold over the province. Perhaps that leads to another layer of strategy?

They are titles just like castle/feudal baronies. They just have a different form of succession (which I will not go into now, as I mentioned in the DD.)

I love the feature.

I also like that a settlement is the new province for desmene-limit purposes. In my current game of CK my crappy King was able to have half of Ireland in his personal desmene, which is incredibly stupid. In other words with this idea Doomdark gets rid of a major argument for quadrupling the province-count.

It also seems like this idea will reduce the problem of the AI revoking Count-titles to give land to it's sons. Now it can create a settlement to do the same things. This leaves me with two questions:

1) Will Barons have their own Coats of Arms?

2) Will Barons be able to marry? If so who will propose the marriages, the Baron himself or his Count?

3) We know that it will be possible to be a Count in two Countries. Will it be possible to be a Baron in two countries?

Nick

1) Yes
2) Yes, other characters can offer them marriage, but they might also marry a local girl after a few years.
3) Define country

How about:
a) can a baron hold a barony in two counties under the same liege?
b) can a baron hold a barony in two counties with different lieges?
c) if yes to b, does he swear aligiance to both, or just one?

a) yes
b) yes
c) Just one. A character only ever has one liege.

In what group will croatia be in?eastern or western.Will there be a ban title(Croatian title similar to duke,bans of slavonia,bosnia etc.)

There are no technology groups like in EU3, if that is what you mean. As for the Ban title, perhaps that is what Croatian dukes will be called.

This begs a followup question: if counts (and dukes) can be appointed as officers of the court to higher ranks of noble, does this mean that the mechanics exist for player counts might find themselves offered positions as Marshal or Chancellor to their liege lords? Might the Duke of Argyll have the opportunity to serve as Marshal of Scotland, for example, or are these positions for AI characters only?

Player characters can also be appointed to liege offices.

So, neither the settlements nor the provinces* could ever be secularised (prince-bishopric (church) -> lay principality (castle)/free city (city)), be offered to the spiritual power (lay principality (castle) -> prince-bishopric (church)) or granted autonomy by charter (lay principality (castle) -> imperial city (city)).

*as capital settlement also determinate who control the county,

Am I wrong ?

The capital settlement can change, thus changing the government type of the province/county.

If a great character is already appointed to an office of one of your Duke's, can you as the King override the Duke and take that great character for your own offices?

No, you cannot appoint vassals of vassals to your council.

Thank you very much for the input ;)
If I can ask more of your knowledge, CK2's provinces will be roughly of the same size when compared to CK's ones?
[this is very important from a modder point of view :eek:o]

Yes, they will.

And when there were less than eight settlements in a province in real life...? Or is that where limits on individual provinces can come into play?

We have scripted eight historical settlement names for each province, regardless of whether or not it can ever support that many in the game.