• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Console Edition Development Diary #64 - First Milestone Update

Hello all,

My name is Rachel, and I am the Associate Producer for the Stellaris Console Porting Project at Behavior. We are the team that brought you Toxoids, and we are now scaling up the team to tackle the First Contact and Galactic Paragons DLC’s and all the free updates between 3.5 and 3.9. This is quite the challenge, and we wanted to give the community some insight on what is needed for this to be done.

This is our first Dev Diary, and we wanted to set some pillars on how they are going to happen going forward. The Dev Diaries will happen at semi-regular intervals, but will mostly align with our internal milestone deliverables. We will work hard to give you all a peek behind the scenes, and let you see how the project is progressing. We might show screenshots of the new UI we are testing, how we are implementing new features to work on a controller, or discuss the limitations of working on a closed system versus an open platform like the PC.

So what have we delivered this time around?

The main tasks we have been focusing between the delivery of Toxoids and now planning and investigating the new content. We have also been onboarding new people to the project.
We have been going through the game and looking at all the changes done between 3.5 and 3.9 and making sure to document this as work that needs to be done when we start building the console part of it. This is especially important if there is a new UI or player options. We are also going back and checking all the new assets to make sure that we have resolutions that are required for the console port.

Example:

settings audit 3.png

Yeah, this might be difficult to bring over

We are also setting up the pipeline for builds, so we can produce new builds at a regular pace for testing and development.

What is the current status of the 3.9 build?

Currently, the changes from 3.5 -> 3.9 have been merged into our Console Edition build. That is to say, all the PC code is there. Now that all the PC code is there, the next steps will be to implement the UI from 3.9 and make all the new features and buttons work correctly in Console code. We are currently in the process of disabling features and UI until we can get the game to load to the main menu on both platforms, so we can then begin implementing and turning the new features on.

So what is next?

In the upcoming dev logs we will start showing some more examples of things that we are doing. We will try to avoid being too ‘inside baseball’ on the game production aspect of it, but our hope is that we can share more of the actual parts of the process needed to get Stellaris to run on a console.

We’re excited to be working on the game and look forward to bringing you more updates as time goes on!

• 26Like
Reactions:
discuss the limitations of working on a closed system versus an open platform like the PC.

We will try to avoid being too ‘inside baseball’ on the game production aspect of it, but our hope is that we can share more of the actual parts of the process needed to get Stellaris to run on a console.

Yes please! As someone who just plays on PC I'd still love to read about the technical side of console development.

Hello all,

My name is Rachel, and I am the Associate Producer for the Stellaris Console Porting Project at Behavior. We are the team that brought you Toxoids, and we are now scaling up the team to tackle the First Contact and Galactic Paragons DLC’s and all the free updates between 3.5 and 3.9. This is quite the challenge, and we wanted to give the community some insight on what is needed for this to be done.

This is our first Dev Diary, and we wanted to set some pillars on how they are going to happen going forward. The Dev Diaries will happen at semi-regular intervals, but will mostly align with our internal milestone deliverables. We will work hard to give you all a peek behind the scenes, and let you see how the project is progressing. We might show screenshots of the new UI we are testing, how we are implementing new features to work on a controller, or discuss the limitations of working on a closed system versus an open platform like the PC.

The main tasks we have been focusing between the delivery of Toxoids and now planning and investigating the new content. We have also been onboarding new people to the project.
We have been going through the game and looking at all the changes done between 3.5 and 3.9 and making sure to document this as work that needs to be done when we start building the console part of it. This is especially important if there is a new UI or player options. We are also going back and checking all the new assets to make sure that we have resolutions that are required for the console port.

Example:

View attachment 1077167

We are also setting up the pipeline for builds, so we can produce new builds at a regular pace for testing and development.

Currently, the changes from 3.5 -> 3.9 have been merged into our Console Edition build. That is to say, all the PC code is there. Now that all the PC code is there, the next steps will be to implement the UI from 3.9 and make all the new features and buttons work correctly in Console code. We are currently in the process of disabling features and UI until we can get the game to load to the main menu on both platforms, so we can then begin implementing and turning the new features on.

So what is next?

In the upcoming dev logs we will start showing some more examples of things that we are doing. We will try to avoid being too ‘inside baseball’ on the game production aspect of it, but our hope is that we can share more of the actual parts of the process needed to get Stellaris to run on a console.

We’re excited to be working on the game and look forward to bringing you more updates as time goes on!
Hi, does Paradox ever plan to implement a limited cheat menu, expanded game sliders for stuff like empires or how huge the galaxy is? For PC the new updates gave them more galaxies to choose from, will the same happen on console or are the consoles in some way limiting your team?

Hi guys, it is nice to see console getting love. I do hope there are a bunch of stability and quality changes made in the coming updates. I play on a series x and it tanked large galaxies w unrestricted pop growth into the 2350s easy pre-toxoid update but got a HUGE nerf in performance afterwards, and seeing as how development was outsourced after paradox closed two studios last year, i was severely disheartened. I hoping you guys can pull your weight and tackle the beast that is porting stellaris, and show us youre worth your weight in gold as devs in the coming months. Best of luck to you all!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hi guys, it is nice to see console getting love. I do hope there are a bunch of stability and quality changes made in the coming updates. I play on a series x and it tanked large galaxies w unrestricted pop growth into the 2350s easy pre-toxoid update but got a HUGE nerf in performance afterwards, and seeing as how development was outsourced after paradox closed two studios last year, i was severely disheartened. I hoping you guys can pull your weight and tackle the beast that is porting stellaris, and show us youre worth your weight in gold as devs in the coming months. Best of luck to you all!
How much of a performance nerf did you experience? My game was stuttering the first time I played then I deleted the stellaris save data and it fixed it, How much does it take for a month to pass on your game?
Curious to know.

Last edited:
How much of a performance nerf did you experience? My game was stuttering the first time I played then I deleted the stellaris save data and it fixed it, How much does it take for a month to pass on your game?
Curious to know.
Easily double that. A lot of imput issues as well. often times when a new month comes around it's super slow and laggy for the first 7 days then it mellows out. I've never tried to delete the game data cause I'm not sure what'd that entail. I won't lose custom empires or saves will I? Cause if not ill do that

Easily double that. A lot of imput issues as well. often times when a new month comes around it's super slow and laggy for the first 7 days then it mellows out. I've never tried to delete the game data cause I'm not sure what'd that entail. I won't lose custom empires or saves will I? Cause if not ill do that
Wow that sucks, I still get input issues at the start of each month. Yes, unfortunately you lose custom empires and saves.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello all,

Example:

View attachment 1077167

So what is next?

have you considered throwing a pizza party? Helps my office every time. Go team. Looking forward to giving you more money glhf

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hello all,

Example:

View attachment 1077167

So what is next?

Any news so far?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Do you have any idea on when console with have missiles in the medium and small slot? Also i was thinking that a slider that caps the game at a certain amount of frames per second would help with late game lag. And keep on with the good development work.

Hello all,

Example:

View attachment 1077167

So what is next?

I would just like to see the game become stable and playable at mid-late stages. Its so laggy and horrible once most of the map is revealed

• 1Like
Reactions:
ok I've had enough!! I deleted the game, reinstalled it, deleted all data from the PlayStation cloud as well as my saved empires and saved games... tragedy... I've played it at least 10 times and every time I get to 2260 the game starts to choke. it seems to run smoothly, but it's just an illusion because it freezes for one second every 5 seconds... you can't play like that!! people do something about it!! I only lost all my saved empires and saved games... I'm out, I don't have the strength to play this game anymore.