• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #121 - Court Improvements

Hello! In this dev diary we will present some changes we have made to the court system. Court Management is an important part of the CK2 experience, and currently there are several code pruning mechanisms that curtail court size, making characters die more frequently when the court grows too big. Now court management has been made more interesting by, for example, lowering the aggressive pruning for player courts, creating expenses/benefits associated with a Large Court, court flavored events using the characters of the court, etc. The intention of these changes is to make the system more interactive and interesting.

ck2_15.png

The court limit as shown in the interface.

Your court will now have a size limit depending on your tier, presented in the interface (see picture above). It’s possible to influence this limit by, for example, investing in majesty tech. We have also removed prisoners from the court-tab to make the shown courtiers more relevant.

ck2_18.png

Example of expenses for a big court (can be turned off through a game rule).

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.

ck2_16.png

Give a courtier a nickname.

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

We hope that you’ll have fun with this small new feature, and thank you for reading!

And you can see the new border for the Billung March in the north so it's probably at a date when the pagans there hadn't declared independence.

Similarly, the Kaysites emirate can be seen, next to Armenia, which was eradicated in 964.

962 is a good bet with the start of the HRE.
The other option that comes to mind would be 955 for the Battle of Lechfeld, if they want to start it with a war in progress (like 867 or 1066).

Sounds great! Maybe we’ll see a DLC in the future with more court mechanics. I personally would love to be able to play landless characters eventually. Being a deposed king or his son and fleeing abroad to return with an army would be so epic! Give us some event chains to try and convince the ruler of the court we’re in to aid us or to get allies at home. Also playing someone like harald hadrada when he was in the varangian guard and a merc in russia then becoming a king would be quite the journey!

I hope they do something about refugees from all over just showing up at your court without permission, and big imperial courts turning into nurseries with everyone leaving their children in your court, with no way of expelling them.

This game becomes more and more amazing every patch...on top of already being great to begin with. :D

See, this is the difference between design philosophy and direction of CK2 versus Imperator Rome.

CK2 triumphantly marches forward with immersion as it adds more personality to the game, while I:R struggles with characters and immersion, with features locked away for no reason (assassination, marriage) or simply non-existent (divorce and so many others) on top of a really shoddy UI, despite having more character events. And let's not even mention EU4, which is seemingly receiving features that only in-office MP sessions and youtubers require.

Last edited:
I hope they do something about refugees from all over just showing up at your court without permission, and big imperial courts turning into nurseries with everyone leaving their children in your court, with no way of expelling them.

I always tried very hard to keep my court pruned down to under thirty. And the Game would reward my diligence by immediately sending at least twenty more mouths to feed to my court.

This game becomes more and more amazing every patch...on top of already being great to begin with. :D

See, this is the difference between design philosophy and direction of CK2 versus Imperator Rome.

CK2 triumphantly marches forward with immersion as it adds more personality to the game, while I:R struggles with characters and immersion, with features locked away for no reason (assassination, marriage) or simply non-existent (divorce and so many others) on top of a really shoddy UI, despite having more character events. And let's not even mention EU4, whose devs seem to only add features for their in-office multiplayer sessions.

I think the key difference is CK2's Dynastic Simulator, and the emphasis on the Rulers as characters you can play. That's what got me into CK2 in the first place. WC is all very fine for some. I find WC boring. But managing my court, my rulers, their family, and spreading my Dynasty, can be great fun!

Would it be possible to add a feature to allow certain prisoners to be a part of your court?
Say, for example, you have the adult prince of a neighboring kingdom as a prisoner. You could right click on him and, like you would for putting him under house arrest or in the oubliette, select an option to make him attend court (under armed guard, of course) so that he could have a chance to participate in events.
It would probably come with an increased risk of escape, but hey, I think it would be cool.

This is probably the intent of the 'house arrest' option. These prisoners should methinks also carry a cost, as they are supposedly at least living if not luxuriously certainly rather comfortably by the standards of the time.

The fact that Imperator: Rome only started its journey, when CK2 is inevitably heading towards its end, therefore it no longer gets shiny features, therefore manhours can be invested into increasing quality of core gameplay?

What can i say that others haven't? I'm hyped and curious to find out every detail of this new patch.

I hope the next DLC, (not this patch) will focus mainly on characters. Unfortunately i posted about some ideas in another thread and i don't want to double post. :p

Considering this is court related...

Would it be possible to get better marriage mechanics?

So it’s not just instantaneous and could incorporate a feast and a ball maybe where applicable much like the GOT mod.

Be cool also to make use of minor title people in the court... have the jester perform to cheer people up to his own expense. Have the High Almoner to convert someone zealous. All this with random events.