• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2: Dev Diary #117 - Historical Wonders

Hello, builders, architects and peasants.

Today we will be telling you about the Historical Great Works that already exist in game. Of course there are so many Great Works that it would have been hard to fit them all in so we have chosen just a select few.

We also decided not to place a Great Work in Constantinople. The walls are already represented in game, and this will give the player a chance to build their own Great Work there. Also adding historical Great Works is rather easy via modding so you can set up the exact type of Great Work you want!

So without further ado I present the historical Great Works present at the 769 game start:

Pyramids of Khufu

HPrQeLdk968nzzbZ0_xpHwlRQbKlYDbAzWgdkY1EMlER7nlqywtHllkRXOowJe5kBgDOeRQtAJNs3bZrUVBqa76Xmb_8opTmjQbFEhVOHH3SGJ2lXhcfBtFM8OkHDyeQdUxam90a

Stonehenge

osJl8LTR-1l9jJc6LRPeqsq74HfCOJG8RzPCxYCMuGJndAoddpBHlgS3OlR9gNIofBBBCOEcB4Lhv54t6Pc-ineE7j21e_56RGYJGPPclk5nNnjDC3pTP1NiVTCWdfG9aKwVPWYT

Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

psBuITmLV5yGgjbwgLk-T9Roonn6oF-i0gLFzjEdvjbI4QGdW-dSVeMXeYmYblQycI3Va7q3hjO0VG6fVskFtHmBWU5n0p4rOvgwR3CaVz6v-R2o6cS2S4Bj7MUlUX_UCr6hIsR3

Lighthouse of Alexandria
lbo-VOVL_Havr9t0QKAbM2h89N2aCeV3hzQYWJvvYGvnu0BzO-K8NYvougFvc8wp7en1KYrSGu7WnRDCcLHyLkFCq9oTKyodHGvEqJolOj-go0lOWr5zsaGgnHPjnwWAgxpA3nYT

Konark Sun Temple

B_Dher72xr4niq8cQAUUDbnRgM3uTZM9jK5Rxw-K5CkUOI-T5NDX5_YQXnQOcyZmVRLfMPqGCu4cfxRDj-Rx5vCBTt3yZ-wVSLK7xlw-fBX740pBZyq4OCD1wAeBVlp5QAyy9GBd

Apostolic Palace

9Ez_FKeR5wpZCu-AG8dG872W9fM09wD4Sa_utPwRLWuSDBcp7Zs4pypexOZe_Rubcw-cTVZz_6IZQufiYek_JsGrniwF9PK47j3Ww36L0kywyRZWGsRveO2prESagyqyE_tFhfMb

House of Wisdom

_M3XUgEIoBTetJWzEocdTqS7hhPvxfJq3i9UmLxxGrI9vo6fWZY7Om3XSjmPYsj_sjWX-jRXP57dVa04-DWQwDcl4kBNKPXY_MSd1VybKMD9cT11Moq4rzU5ZJR_uoq-qdlgq_Gd

Petra

5udi_IngIzG9WuISlKHwuLqvbcce4nc_5EC4ZUbJ9R8yTD9pEfqK1Ft6rRqflaNB8TJBYTx-XBRj1leeootbhyicYAtU30awGeHQDXBlL6JUuhqNJipRkVurXQ1GSF6MHvzyoA6I

Great Works in EU4
The thousands of ducats that the rulers invest in the foundations of the Great Works are investments that will have effects for ages. To make sure this characterizes your realm even more, we’ve made sure to transfer these feats when we’re converting save games from CK2 to EU4.

The rule is that every Great Work that has completed its final stage will be represented by a permanent province modifier in a converted EU4 game. By default we also ignore any historical Great Works that were present at the start of the campaign of CK2 but that rule is easily changed by modifying a value in the defines file before converting.

Different types of province modifier will apply depending on the type of Great Work it originated from. The following list will define the effects of the fully completed Great Works in converted EU4 games:

Cathedrals
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Papal Influence +1

Grand Mosque
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Monthly Piety +0.01
Missionaries +1

Synagogue
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Legitimacy +1

Great Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Religious Unity +15%

Great Buddhist Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Tolerance of Heathens +1

Great Hindu Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Tolerance of Heathens +1

Ruler Statue
Legitimacy +0.5
Max Absolutism +10

Grand Fortress
Local Defensiveness +100%
Local Manpower Modifier +100%
Army Tradition +0.5

Great Underground City
Local Defensiveness +50%
Local Development Cost -15%
Local Hostile Attrition +2%
Local Core Creation Cost +100%

Great Walls
Local Trade Power +50%
Local Hostile Attrition +2%
Local Defensiveness +50%
Caravan Power +20%

Great Harbor
Local Trade Power +50%
Local Sailors +100%
Naval Force Limit Modifier +15%

Great Lighthouse
Local Trade Power +50%
Global Ship Trade Power +30%
Trade Range Modifier +25%

Grand Amphitheater
Global Unrest -1
War Exhaustion Cost -20%
General Cost -10%

Royal Palace
Max States +5
Monthly Splendor +1

Magnificent Garden
Diplomats +1
Global Spy Offence +40%
Global Spy Defence -20% (sic)

Grand University
Local Development Cost -10%
Advisor Pool +1
Global Institution Spread +15%

Great Library
Local Development Cost -10%
Advisor Cost -15%
Diplomats +1

Grand Mausoleum
Legitimacy +1
Diplomatic Reputation +2
Fabricate Claims Cost -20%

Great Pyramid
Legitimacy +1
Stability Cost Modifier -10%

Great Stone Circle
Number of Accepted Cultures +1
Idea Cost -10%

That's all for today! But if you want to check out what this looks like in-game, please tune into our first ever 3.1 Great Works stream today (Friday the 22nd) at 14:00CET on twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive where we’ll be playing on the hottest of code.

If you can’t catch the livestream, we’ll be uploading it to our YouTube channel soon, and it is also always available in the Twitch VOD archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much salt as utter confusion on how a company can go from the level of historical detail as to research and put in Tocharian to saying something as inaccurate as the Pharos being the tallest building or the Hagia Sophia not being famous despite being the biggest church for its entire existence as a church.
I get it, i was just trying to make you smile:)

Not so much salt as utter confusion on how a company can go from the level of historical detail as to research and put in Tocharian to saying something as inaccurate as the Pharos being the tallest building or the Hagia Sophia not being famous despite being the biggest church for its entire existence as a church.

Has there been a dev rotation? Are the historically-minded perhaps all working on Imperator? It is a tricky thing to reconcile.

"Pyramids of Khufu"

*angry Kemetic noise*

There's only ONE pyramid of Khufu.
It's either Pyramids of Giza, the Great Pyramid or THE Pyramid of Khufu not "Pyramids of Khufu".

Also, the Pyramids were no longer covered in white limestone by the start of the game, it would have long been gone due to theft, use for other construction projects or decay.
The covering should still be intact in 769, most of the looting happened when Cairo was being built later in the middle ages.

The covering should still be intact in 769, most of the looting happened when Cairo was being built later in the middle ages.

And again, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was still intact in the High Middle Ages. To quote, "The Mausoleum was, and still is, a wonder" - written during the 12th century by Eustathius, archbishop of Thessalonica, and commentator on both contemporary Crusader-type events and ancient Greek literature.

I think, technically, the Pyramids are monuments, not buildings.

Monuments are buildings and the Great Pyramid was the tallest building in the world for about 4 millennia, iirc it was beat by Lincoln cathedral in 1311.

Can't wait for this update!
If you don't plan on making a city background, maybe increasing the Great Work image size so it hides the background? Because right now the Apostolic Palace looks like a building placed in an empty editor map..
The House of Wisdom also really looks like the Library of Parliament here in Canada, but aside from that everything looks great!
(Also, I still hope Mont Saint-Michel will be there from the Old Gods start!)

honestly yeah that is in fact the parliamentary library behind centre block

The additions of non-religious wonders in the game makes me worried about how this will affect RPG elements in the game. I'm hoping the matter of making wonders not in relation to religion would be addressed in scenarios in the game relating to how it affects vassals and religious heads in a tangible way.

Canonically, it would make sense if the religious group for that wonder got a positive opinion marker for the creation of it versus a comparatively somewhat larger negative opinion bonus if it isn't relative to the religion or thought.

It's hard for me the imagine any Abrahamic faith ruler in the right mind of making Stonehenge what is considered by most historians today as a presumably pagan site without occurring a negative opinion bonus.

I'm hoping Islam and Nestorian/Orthodox Christianity get looked at more in future expansions regarding wonders
-----------

I love what you guys are doing with the game and think it's got for at least another 2 maybe 3 expansions. Please do keep up the good work and God bless you guys!!

The additions of non-religious wonders in the game makes me worried about how this will affect RPG elements in the game. I'm hoping the matter of making wonders not in relation to religion would be addressed in scenarios in the game relating to how it affects vassals and religious heads in a tangible way.

Canonically, it would make sense if the religious group for that wonder got a positive opinion marker for the creation of it versus a comparatively somewhat larger negative opinion bonus if it isn't relative to the religion or thought.

It's hard for me the imagine any Abrahamic faith ruler in the right mind of making Stonehenge what is considered by most historians today as a presumably pagan site without occurring a negative opinion bonus.

I'm hoping Islam and Nestorian/Orthodox Christianity get looked at more in future expansions regarding wonders
-----------

I love what you guys are doing with the game and think it's got for at least another 2 maybe 3 expansions. Please do keep up the good work and God bless you guys!!
Christians can't normally build a pagan stone circle. It's the same with other religious wonders that wouldn't make sense for them to build, like Mosques. So you don't have to worry about most rulers making ahistorical choices about which wonder they build.

I found annoying to see the wonders button in the province tab alongside the levys ones (I would prefer something like left of the owner's portrait), but it's aesthetic and nothing to be used to. XD

Christians can't normally build a pagan stone circle. It's the same with other religious wonders that wouldn't make sense for them to build, like Mosques. So you don't have to worry about most rulers making ahistorical choices about which wonder they build.

Weirdly though egyptian_arabic culture is all that's required to unlock pyramids. The idea of Fatimid caliphs burying themselves in the Great Pyramid is kind of hilarious.

Well, I understand that the Hagia Sofia isn't a historical wonder in CK2, since it would be hard to justify, not to add several great gothic cathedrals all over central and western Europe as well for later game starts. And not to forget, you can always ugrade churches to cathedral level without having a "great wonder."
I miss the Buddhas of Bamyan, which were built in the 6th century A.D.