Would CK3 have any trade mechanic?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Keksburg

Custom Title
92 Badges
Aug 19, 2021
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I found some abandoned defines in geographical_region. It seems that in episode I, PDS has defined something like trade regions or trade zones. It seems that there were added to the game in the first DLC. They are abandoned because these defines are currently not actually used. Their keys start with “dlc_ep1”, and only the geographical regions defines for the achievement for Ghurid and the event that distributing excaliburs also start with this and are currently actually used.

I’m not familiar with CK2 so I’m not sure if there were any trade mechanic in that game or not. Would CK3 be granted with some trade mechanic? What would it be like if it’s true?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
I don't have any quotes to back it up but i seem to remember they considered doing trade and admin government as the combo for this pack but thought it would be too much - instead they figure landless will put the groundwork for eventual republics and trade.

Reactions:
I don't have any quotes to back it up but i seem to remember they considered doing trade and admin government as the combo for this pack but thought it would be too much - instead they figure landless will put the groundwork for eventual republics and trade.
They did say they initially wanted to add in both Republics as well as the admin government, but I don't think trade was ever mentioned.

Reactions:
Can anyone tell me how landless is considered the base for trade mechanics? Like do you need to physically travel from A to B to transport goods and play as a trader yourself? And why can't it just be simulated with events, modifiers, and other world triggers like EU4?

(I haven't played CK2 so I don't know how it was handled there)

Reactions:
Can anyone tell me how landless is considered the base for trade mechanics? Like do you need to physically travel from A to B to transport goods and play as a trader yourself? And why can't it just be simulated with events, modifiers, and other world triggers like EU4?

It's because trade will likely be connected to trade republics and in trade republics you need somewhere for your character to go and be playable when they lose elections.

CK2 had "landless play" for republics and they had half of the very minor trade mechanics of that game.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Trade in CK2 wasn't really trade. In CK2, you conquered silk road provinces and built a silk road trading post for an extra tax bonus. It was 99% the same as constructing any other kind of building for more cash. Patricians in Merchant Republics could conquer cities and build trade posts for the same effect. It was very tacked on and not very fun to engage with.

What the developers said in the floor plan diary is that they want a CK3 trade expansion to be about characters. Rulers are explicitly singled out as people who don't trade so other characters have to do it. Characters who aren't rulers. So, unlanded adventuring lays the foundation for characters who wander the earth seeking fortune. It's very easy to see how that naturally evolves into travelling merchants.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
CK 3 would need to be very careful in how they implement trade, to make it fun, worthwhile and interesting from a gameplay point of view, and not just a slogfest. While something to ponder on, I'd personally have it come later (if at all), and instead improve other areas/mechanics for now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I pray that the development team can bring me real products and trade, rather than the fake trade stations in CK2, which cannot be considered as the lack of real trading behavior and concrete products and applications in the trade mechanism.

Reactions:
The distribution of trade regions, in my view, kinda similar to EUIV
1D4BF10F2C5D2C918F3B900452209B9A.jpeg

This is the pic for Dutch trade region. (In name so. I’ve no idea why Dutch region contains no Dutch)
1D4BF10F2C5D2C918F3B900452209B9A.jpeg

And this seems to be something Hansa. These pics are created according to those unused codes, and probably by wiki team.

My guess: there are some trade centers (counties) on map, surrounded which are fixed regions that can have something to do with the center. For example, London is both related to Lübeck and Holland so it has a very good trading position, while some places else may only have access to one single trade center or even none so can’t develop faster.

It’s hard to say, because once the border is fixed, it would be used to be compared to PjCsr, which has dynamic borders…

But I’m sure that CK3 team would find a good way out. They have given CK3 an impressive designing already so far. We don’t need to play CK as if we were playing Vicky or others. CK is and only is CK itself.

Last edited:
The distribution of trade regions, in my view, kinda similar to EUIV
View attachment 1129093
This is the pic for Dutch trade region.
View attachment 1129094
And this seems to be something Hansa. These pics are created according to those unused codes, and probably by wiki team.

My guess: there are some trade centers (counties) on map, surrounded which are fixed regions that can have something to do with the center. For example, London is both related to Lübeck and Holland so it has a very good trading position, while some places else may only have access to one single trade center or even none so can’t develop faster.

It’s hard to say, because once the border is fixed, it would be used to be compared to PjCsr, which has dynamic borders…

But I’m sure that CK3 team would find a good way out. They have given CK3 an impressive designing already so far. We don’t need to play CK as if we were playing Vicky or others. CK is and only is CK itself.
Let's forget about this so-called false trade mechanism of self deception. If there is a choice, I hope to obtain the trade mechanism from Emperor Rome or Victoria 3

Let's forget about this so-called false trade mechanism of self deception. If there is a choice, I hope to obtain the trade mechanism from Emperor Rome or Victoria 3
Which are based on provincial production and trading on actual amounts. I do not think that it suits CK well, which focuses on some personal careers instead of playing as mind-of-nation.

It’s not completely useless for sure, but it would be an important and big mechanic, which is too big to its presence in the personal mind of a European ruler 1000 yrs ago.

I think if trade was built around events involving specific goods produced in your holdings it could be quite interesting.

For example maybe your capital happens to produce lots of weapons, you could get a bonus like in imperator from have a good surplus and maybe have the option to choose a main import (this is handled by your merchants of course since rulers didn't go out and haggle for shipments of cheese from the French Kings).

You could get events linked to your merchants asking for your advice or royal support rather than you micro managing trade. Maybe if Danish merchants import heavily from you and their king seizes your merchants' goods you can get an event where your people petition and it gives a repayment casus belli or something?