Worst DLC and Patch Ever. Change my mind

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

whosthebestcop

Jimmy's The Best Cop
40 Badges
Mar 11, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Literally the worst DLC I've ever seen for any game. $10 for like 6 buildings in different colors. Dont look like any Beach properties Ive ever seen. Looks to be minimum effort to release a DLC to meet Deluxe package requirements so Paradox wouldnt have another Empire of Sin disaster where people paid for a package that still hasnt been delivered 3+ years later.

That was the patch/bug fixes/updates? Literally did it even gain 1% performance on anything? AMD GPU users report decline in performance and all benchmarks Ive seen barely moved the needle.

Were any of the bug fixed? Ok I am sure some were. But none of the major stuff.

This is what people waited 5 months for??????????????????????????

How can anyone who has a PR job for CO or Paradox not understand why the entire community is gathering pitchforks. I mean it is common sense. The fan base has an all time low morale and support of CO and this is what is released for $10??? Are you kidding? I mean if you didnt think this release was going to escalate bad publicity, bad morale or cause the fan base to go crazy I am kinda not sure how you work in the industry.

But to be fair I'll give y'all the chance to change my mind...........

• 79Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It's not a DLC, it's a Asset Pack (like CCP on CS1), but yes, you are right.
If it's downloadable content it's DLC. DLC is not synonymous with expansion. But that's a distraction from silly claims like the update didn't fix any "of the major stuff". That is nonsense. Until yesterday most people were screaming that the Land Value bug was the most crippling, game ending bug in the game and it was fixed this patch. It's a very big bug CO will be very happy to have ticked off their list.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The update really is dissapointing, many issues / bugs aren´t fixed. And we waited that long for this update. Mods of course are nice but we could already use them before. I hoped they would fix bugs like dogs or teens living alone, but nope. Also many other well known bugs are still there. Land value was improved but not fixed.

2/10 patch

• 15Like
Reactions:
it's good to have some exclusive content with the ultimate edition because if you didn't have the enthusiasm for buying the ultimate, it is unlikely you'll have the enthusiasm for this dlc

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Yeah it is terrible. Good that people don't buy it or review bomb it.

That way CO hopefully does better next time.

I dont think CO will learn anything. They had a micro small good game with Cities in Motion 1. Cities in Motion 2 was horrendously bad and buggy and then abandoned. They had CS1 who had 0 competition and was a commercial giant success. But honestly the base game cant even handle traffic because it is agent based. Modders saved the game but it still had a pop cap of around 500-600k without mods. That isnt much of a city in terms of numbers or simulation. Now it will look like a 5 million city skyscape and you will need all of your mass transit even as early as 250k while there are only a handful of cities in the world that have subways at 250k but I digress.

Now CS2 perfectly mirrors CiM2. Go to the CiM2 sub forum here on paradox main it literally reads like CS2.

What can CO do? They will never be able to improve CPU performance because it is an Agent based simulation so it will just max out all cores on any CPU you throw at it. CO cant improve GPU rendering and FPS because they had to build layers in between Unity because Unity didn't do what CO needed. All of this results in the most inefficient gpu 3D rendering possible.

Even if CO gets every single system to simulate 100% accurately they are bound by the Agent system which will just put more pressure on the CPU lowering simulation speed further.

It is a completely no win situation. The game will either be slow because of cpu processing simulation time/speed or slow because of fps and 3d rendering.

I am not sure how anyone can even be positive about this game. These are huge nearly impossible obstacles to overcome. It is broken in the foundation they can patch and update and bug fix all they want. If the foundation is rotten everything is. This is how everything in the world works. Games arent any different.

What are you willing to wait 3 years for a fix? Might as well design a brand new game on a brand new engine with a brand new scope and purpose.

• 32Like
Reactions:
But to be fair I'll give y'all the chance to change my mind...........
Nahh. I saw the reviews on Steam. Ranging from Mostly Negative to Very Negative. So, its clear it is terrible.

But I have a question. Why do the same people that complain here and on Steam how bad the game is, buy the DLC's and then complain more?

Just don't give them a single Cent in the future - at least until they replaced the management and behavior towards their customer.

But my question was not rhetorical. I am seriously interested why (not all but not just a few) of the people who complain about the main game, buy DLC's just to realize that they're as bad or even worse than the main game?

Memory loss? Stupidity?

I don't get it.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Nahh. I saw the reviews on Steam. Ranging from Mostly Negative to Very Negative. So, its clear it is terrible.

But I have a question. Why do the same people that complain here and on Steam how bad the game is, buy the DLC's and then complain more?

Just don't give them a single Cent in the future - at least until they replaced the management and behavior towards their customer.

But my question was not rhetorical. I am seriously interested why (not all but not just a few) of the people who complain about the main game, buy DLC's just to realize that they're as bad or even worse than the main game?

Memory loss? Stupidity?

I don't get it.
I didnt buy either. I played base game on gamepass for a week that was all I needed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I didnt buy either. I played base game on gamepass for a week that was all I needed.
Yeah well then the question was not for you :D

It was directed towards those who rant for months on the main game, that now spent money on the DLC's, where you would think "they should know it better, so why on earth!?!"

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah well then the question was not for you :D

It was directed towards those who rant for months on the main game, that now spent money on the DLC's, where you would think "they should know it better, so why on earth!?!"
I will assume a ton of players bought the deluxe copy which included the 1st DLC. I am sure individual sales of unbundled DLC were small.

• 10Like
Reactions:

Memory loss? Stupidity?

I don't get it.

Lots of people bought the Ultimate Edition at launch. This "DLC" was part of that. I don't know if there are too many people who bought this separately. If there are, they should get their heads examined.

• 20Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Just have a look at the DLC prices of other Paradox games and what you get from them, how the reviews are...
That's the new Paradox I guess.

It#s quite funny because with virtual goods like this, that have no variable production/replication costs, inflation isn't an economical concern. Prices aren't calculated based on development costs primarily, but based on what the consumers are willing to pay the most. I guess there are still too many players who are willing to pay any price. Or Paradox just doesn't have good economical management. One thing is for sure: they are sacrificing their reputation for small profit gains. Investors don't care about long-term success. Once the orange is out of juice, they go on and squash the next company for the last drop.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Lots of people bought the Ultimate Edition at launch. This "DLC" was part of that. I don't know if there are too many people who bought this separately. If there are, they should get their heads examined.
Yes - I guess there were legal obligations to prevent liability for non-fulfillment. So they had to release something, while still being busy with the actual core game improvements. Either they have a severe lack of developers or Unity engine is still such a mess to deal with - probably both.

Though, to be fair, development teams don't exactly scale well. Doubling the head count can't come close to the productivity improvement of doubled development time.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I know. But judging on the way many wrote their review, it reads like a lot have bought the DLC, knowing that the base game is still crap.

• 2Like
Reactions: