• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are many solutions to your problems, e.g.:
a) guard each port with 2 garrison divs (no attachments and they are dirt cheap). Have a fleet (can simply be a dozen subs) nearby. If you park them in a port and set them on "naval scramble", they will automatically disrupt every invasion attempt in their sphere of influence. As UK I've sunk more than a hundred Japanese transport ships who were constantly trying to invade Hong Kong and Singapore. Never had to care about the invasions due to the naval scramble.

The next two will deal with Britain, so you won't have to worry about them in the first place:
b) Sealion. Instead of invading Norway, fighting in Northern Africa and the Middle East, just sealion them Brits. It's tough (especially since the Exeter exploit was removed), but doable. Controlling the Channel is easy with some dozen subs and 12 fighters. Then do several invasion attempts in different locations. The a.i. reacts to an invasion by shifting its troops to the hotspot. Attacking west means less troops east (as they move west). Keep the a.i. on its toes and you'll find a hole in its defences.
c) Indirect approach. Build ~150 subs, form fleets of 12-24 subs and set them on infinite, night-only convoy raiding in the Atlantic. It takes 2-3 years for the UK to crumble. Once she runs out of convoys, Africa and the other non-mainland Britain theatres resolve themselves. The mainland won't be able to sustain itself either and becomes easy prey.
For added effectiveness, I always grab Denmark in 1938. My U-Boats operate from Iceland then which is pretty sweet.
It's all about the numbers though. Subs in stacks of 12-24 are able to fend off any surface navy and will go rampant on them convoys.

I proposed a U-Boat nerf, so that tactic might not work as well anymore. Fernando will know more about that.
Personally I love the U-Boat strategy because for the first time in any HoI-game starving Britain actually works and it is so much fun! With the loss stats following the course of your U-Boat campaign is extremely exciting. It took me a couple of tries before I got the numbers right.

Yeah, as I said, I already have 2 or 3 INF div (sometimes with AA brig) in every provinces with beaches and still they manage to beat my defences. That's ok, I just need to reinforce the western front. I actually put all my effort on the east front (I was used to the previous WIF version.. so I expected a LOT of divisions on the border so I used my IC to build a lot of ARM and MOT).
My building schedule was
1033-1936
15 IC x 3
1936-1941 (gradually added, not all in the same time..i had not enough IC, I still needed reinforcement for west air attacks)
1x6HQ
1x12FIG
1x12INT
1x12TAC
1x12CAS
1x4NAV
1x4STR
1x3TRA (maybe some paratroop operation in ENG in later 42?)
--

6x6INF (aa-art-eng)
2x6ARM
1x6MOT
6x6?various SS
6x6SUB
2x1CV
2x1BB
1x1BC
1x1CA
3x1PAR

Maybe I'll write an AAR at the end ;)

Yeah, as I said, I already have 2 or 3 INF div (sometimes with AA brig) in every provinces with beaches and still they manage to beat my defences. That's ok, I just need to reinforce the western front.

Try the "naval scramble" with a 12-submarine fleet. Then you won't have to beef up your garrisons. Cheaper, more flexible and dishes out a serious punch.

about to start ww2 :p i got republic china with me and Hungary im not sure on how i could ally japan and or italy now i have rep china (is there events later which allies them as well) or its all ina diferent timeline now?

oh drbob does your ai save game compatible if i started one already on wif gold?
It should work but you will be missing all my ai research, which i think is critical. However, it should not cause any errors.

Try my ai update link again. I redid the link. nothing looks diff. but it seems to work.

@ifail, checked first link, it has not been updated yet, it is ver1.7 and that works with churchill version. your error will occur if 1.7 installed on wif gold. Cheers.
### New, first Page link had been updated, thank you, Fernando! ####

everyone, link for ai update wif2 ver1.8 gold, go back one page, link in my post. # First page link had been updated. #

I will be starting a new thread for wif2 ai update.

FT, thanks for update on Sov IC building i will be watching that. No major changes on my part since the last update, though.

Last edited:
German translation

Good news!

Today I have finished the German translation of the mod. Here it is:

@Players who play this mod in German: If you notice any grammar mistakes or incorrect translations or have better proposals for translations, feel free to send me a PM, so that I can include it in the mod.

eeeex

Attachments

• mods.rar
    204,4 KB · Views: 33
Globalization at its finest:
A French dude writes the English texts, an Italian guy translates them into German and the German guy plays the English version of the French dude.

Quote of the month
No, that honour belongs to Podcat:
"as long as german laws about games are massively retarded there are things we cant show (like hitler) if we want to sell in germany."

Wait, you are Germany and have China in the axis? What does this do to the china/japan war? Does the German AI have a chance to ally China? That itself might spice up my Japan game when I start it soon. Of course all this talk about 100000 new german events and love make it hard for me to play anything but Germany.

no idea at all on how i managed it all i did was aggressive resource trading andnat china became fascist somewhow then i influenced them for a bit then alliance around 1938

will start new campaign with ai drbob

Can't seem to download World in Flames Gold with either Google Chrome (my main) or Internet Explorer (a browser I use so little that I had to do a computer search of my entire computer's contents just to find). I also tried disabling my adblock extension on Chrome but the result was the same.

I click download, seconds later the screen just refreshes and nothing happens.

polish gamble even with new stuff cant really be done as french attack the westwall with 20 to 30 or so divisions which ask you to put some more division into action and lose more men one battle lost around 30k already :/ two weeks later french attack another section and another 30k lose of men for me just to win it this is not counting my initial breakthrough attack on poland and defense of prussia (where i lose lot of men just to hold it allenstein which has 3 provice adjacent where poland attack) other than that everthing went well japan tho has bogged down on the yellow river of china. about tostart gelb soon ( this is with dr bob ai)

I have just uploaded a small hotfix (fixes issues with UK and SOV AI not following their production scheme). Please see the 1st post for download link. It will not apply to ongoing games but won't break save games compatibility.

Works WiF II/ is WIF II compatible with the Cold War Tech Tree Expansion Mod ?
I would suggest asking the modders from CWTTE but I don't see any reason it shouldn't be compatible as WIF does not alter the tech trees.

Can't seem to download World in Flames Gold with either Google Chrome (my main) or Internet Explorer (a browser I use so little that I had to do a computer search of my entire computer's contents just to find). I also tried disabling my adblock extension on Chrome but the result was the same.

I click download, seconds later the screen just refreshes and nothing happens.
Have you tried with Firefox or Opera maybe? Don't know if other people experience the same problems with mediafire. Anyway, here is a mirror link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/zh91e4

polish gamble even with new stuff cant really be done as french attack the westwall with 20 to 30 or so divisions which ask you to put some more division into action and lose more men one battle lost around 30k already :/ two weeks later french attack another section and another 30k lose of men for me just to win it this is not counting my initial breakthrough attack on poland and defense of prussia (where i lose lot of men just to hold it allenstein which has 3 provice adjacent where poland attack) other than that everthing went well japan tho has bogged down on the yellow river of china. about tostart gelb soon ( this is with dr bob ai)

I think I have an idea to prevent this chain of events and only count losses inflicted by Poland. Will implement it in the next version.

ok i managed to get trough france (3months) i chose the metropolitan event british annexed france (trying to finish the maginot pocket managed to trap 80 or so divisions) one thing i hate is that the italians joined but straigtaway strat deploy to north france leaving their french italian border empty where scraps of the BEF are breaking out trough so my army manged to finish tour de france and attacking the italian border held by brits

is there a way to stop Italians leaving there border took another 2months to finish western front

I have just uploaded a small hotfix (fixes issues with UK and SOV AI not following their production scheme). Please see the 1st post for download link. It will not apply to ongoing games but won't break save games compatibility.

...and the file needs to be pasted into WiF2/scenarios/1933

Last edited:
@seattle: About the U-Boat strategy: Is there any flavor/gameplay stuff you could think of, that could be added to the game? I mean phases where you get temporary bonus or BP given to the Allies around 1942. I don't know, anything to build on this already good simulation to take it to the next level of fun.
As for Sealion, I hope you like the new "Prepare Seelöwe" decision. It gives a nice opportunity to invade Ireland, which could be an alternative strategy.

AFAIK the German torpedos were highly unreliable in 1939 and caused a lot of duds. That had a negative effect on sunken tonnage obviously. That'd be one possible temporary malus.
If you don't wanna take the historical railroading route, but implement a more flexible, plausible system:
Maybe simulate the action/reaction mechanism of convoy warfare via events. U-Boat success (sunk convoys reaching a certain number) triggers a "counter-measure" event for the Allies and so on.
Not sure if that's a good idea though. The tech research already simulates that.