Will WoC/1.37 be the last expansion of EUIV?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Winds of change is a pretty good name for a last dlc :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
To be honest, I also hope it's the last DLC.

The last ones have added some nice mission trees but I feel ultimately it's just starting to bloat the essence of the game with more big tags having power creeps. Peak of the game for me was patch 1.32 or 1.34.

Reactions:
Every time this question is asked, paradox find a new nation whose missions need updating and starts planning a new DLC
RESET THE CLOCK

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I don’t know why they ignore the forum. To freeze our attention on EUIV so that it won’t hurt that much if abandoned?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
EU5 has not even been announced, and Project Teaser, um, Caesar, is still work in progress. There have been speculations on the forums about release date, but I don't think anyone has suggested it would be less than a year away. So, for at least one yeat, whatever money PDX gets from the EU franchise is from EU4. That should be incentive enough for them to be more active with the community on the EU4 side (I'm not complaining about activity on Project Caesar!), but somehow it does not seem to be. EU4 can still use more content and QoL, I'd very much like for them to comment on that.

Hopefully

• 1Like
Reactions:
Clearly, the final version of EU4 will be 1.44.4, so 7 more major patches after Winds of Change! ;)

• 5Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm enthusiastic about EU5 but very cautiously so, and think we all should be. CK3 is good and I happily play it every now and then (with the three or four mods I see as being vital) yet it still feels a little bare. CK2 tho, which I've just jumped back into earlier, is still amazing by comparison. And CK3 is PDS's best received recent release - we've got to go back to 2016 and Stellaris/HoI4 for titles that were well received before that. I've loved Stellaris right thru but I know plenty didn't. I know I had to leave HoI4 to cook for four years after launch before I really enjoyed it. And I still want to love both Vic3 and Imperator yet I know I just don't ever start either of them...

CK3 is two and a half years old and has had eight DLC releases. At best EU5 will be the same for years after its release - pretty and interesting in its novelty but simple and bland in direct contrast. The longer this one cooks the better it will come out. And the longer we get ongoing support and new content for the almost impossible to surpass EU4!

• 1Like
Reactions:
EU5 has not even been announced, and Project Teaser, um, Caesar, is still work in progress. There have been speculations on the forums about release date, but I don't think anyone has suggested it would be less than a year away. So, for at least one yeat, whatever money PDX gets from the EU franchise is from EU4. That should be incentive enough for them to be more active with the community on the EU4 side (I'm not complaining about activity on Project Caesar!), but somehow it does not seem to be. EU4 can still use more content and QoL, I'd very much like for them to comment on that.

If it is the last one it will be because its not profitable anymore in real terms. I have to ask myself. What is more profitable in real terms, to produce one more DLC with a small team behind dedicating all their time to it and sell like 5.000 copies, or put that small team to work on EU5, reducing the development time by a few months, selling hundreds of thousands of copies, and being able to start doing dls months earlier that will also sell tens of thousands of copies? I myself don't know but I guess we will know the answer if this is the last DLC. After all PDX hasnt had a major release in a couple of years and I am sure they are very eager to pump those financial statements finally.

I'm enthusiastic about EU5 but very cautiously so, and think we all should be. CK3 is good and I happily play it every now and then (with the three or four mods I see as being vital) yet it still feels a little bare. CK2 tho, which I've just jumped back into earlier, is still amazing by comparison. And CK3 is PDS's best received recent release - we've got to go back to 2016 and Stellaris/HoI4 for titles that were well received before that. I've loved Stellaris right thru but I know plenty didn't. I know I had to leave HoI4 to cook for four years after launch before I really enjoyed it. And I still want to love both Vic3 and Imperator yet I know I just don't ever start either of them...

CK3 is two and a half years old and has had eight DLC releases. At best EU5 will be the same for years after its release - pretty and interesting in its novelty but simple and bland in direct contrast. The longer this one cooks the better it will come out. And the longer we get ongoing support and new content for the almost impossible to surpass EU4!

As noted before, if it were up to Johan i am sure the game would cook for another 5 or even 10 years. But PDX needs big numbers in their financial statements so company line can go up and get money.

Its already going to be the longest game in development yet.
With the information we have we already know it has lots of flavour (we know there are colonization mechanics, hundred years wars mechanic, banking nations, hundreds of buildings for specific nations and regions and religions, lots of different estate privileges for different countries, lots of laws and government reforms for different tags, cultures, religions and forms of governments....And on top of that Johans assurance that the game will have qualitatively the same amount of content EU4 has now. So i am really not that worried about content and I am sure it wont release "bland". They have learnt their lesson by now after the last couple release.

I would much rather have a game next year which has content for the top most played countries rather than having to wait 5 more years until every single tag has a piece of content.

Reactions:
I think they want to max out EUIV in every way possible. EUV is many years into the future

If it is the last one it will be because its not profitable anymore in real terms. I have to ask myself. What is more profitable in real terms, to produce one more DLC with a small team behind dedicating all their time to it and sell like 5.000 copies, or put that small team to work on EU5, reducing the development time by a few months, selling hundreds of thousands of copies, and being able to start doing dls months earlier that will also sell tens of thousands of copies? I myself don't know but I guess we will know the answer if this is the last DLC.

It's not only about sales of the DLC. It's also about keeping players occupied with the franchise, and showing that the company keeps supporting their games. Sure, EU4 was published years ago, but one can also count the length of support from the latest DLC. After the last DLC, whichever it may be, there could still be a bunch of free patches.

After all PDX hasnt had a major release in a couple of years and I am sure they are very eager to pump those financial statements finally.

From Wikipedia

2024: Life by You, Millennia, Vampire Bloodlines 2
2023: Age of Wonders 4, Lamplighters League, Cities Skylines 2, Star Trek Infinite
2022: Victoria 3
2020: Crusader Kings 3, Empire of Sin, Surviving the Aftermath
2019: Age of Wonders Planetfall, Imperator Rome

Surely some of those have been major releases? Or at least intended to be major releases, even if the end result did not match expectations. My understanding is, that the most common reason for failed releases has been releasing the game too early.

I would much rather have a game next year which has content for the top most played countries rather than having to wait 5 more years until every single tag has a piece of content.

I disagree on that, ideally I'd have a game that's 100% complete on release, with no need for DLC. Or need for bugfixes. I know I'm in the minority with that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I disagree on that, ideally I'd have a game that's 100% complete on release, with no need for DLC. Or need for bugfixes. I know I'm in the minority with that.

That is just not realistic. Having a game with all the content you are asking for would take years and by the time of release 10 years later, the game would be updated and needing EU6. Also PDX is not gonna pay for them to develop a game for 10 years bringing no income

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is deviating from the topic of this thread and forum.

That is just not realistic. Having a game with all the content you are asking for would take years and by the time of release 10 years later, the game would be updated and needing EU6. Also PDX is not gonna pay for them to develop a game for 10 years bringing no income
Yes, I've heard that before. On the other hand, Johan has said that Project Caesar aims to have at least as much content at launch as EU4 has now. That could be enough for the game's lifetime and they could move on to developing EU6, due 15 years later.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
In my opinion, the new project will not be EU5. Because even though the basic building blocks of the game are the same, the new game is very detailed. Although most players are excited, I doubt whether some players would want to play a game with this much detail.

In addition, if they cannot achieve a sales performance like EU4 from the new project, they may also lose EU4. In my opinion, they will not be able to take this risk.

In addition, a minimum of 5-6 DLC will be released for the new game to become fully playable, which means 2-3 years. In such a situation, no one would gamble on a new game when there is a structure that provides profit.

In short, I think the new project will be a game in a new style, just like Emperor Rome.

Reactions: