• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(98800)

Corporal
3 Badges
Apr 26, 2008
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
I would really like to buy this game, but do not want DRM, so as the title states will there ever come a day that the GOO DRM will be patched out of the game?

I was planning on buying it through GamersGate, but wrote them and asked about any DRM, and they told me EIC uses GOO; so I held off purchasing.

I am hoping that maybe after a year GOO will be gone.

I still think DRMs are nothing more than a waste of money for publishers and an irritation for legal owners of the game... but since they already paid for Goo, I doubt they will want to now just patch it out of the game and make all the cash paid be wasted.

It's good that people keep complaining about DRMs though, it will make those CEOs (yes FredrikII, I'm talking about you!) think twice before they smash half of game's budget on protection that doesn't help at all but rather the opposite. So maybe next time the game is deprived of such extras.

Anno 1404 was one of the biggest disappointments of mine this year and "pirates play the game already but I can't" kind of DRM and "buy Prima Guide instead" kind of a manual greatly added to that. :-| It was one horrible release for them and I hope they will learn from it and next time do it better.

I haven't bothered with the last patch yet, it doesn't seem to change enough things for me to go back to that game yet. Good they got rid of DRM though. I think Egosoft will be doing the same for X3: Terran Conflict so it looks like DRMs are on defensive now. At least in games I play.

About EIC, I like this kind of games more than I hate DRMs so I got it anyway. And I did have trouble registering, ended up with two different serial keys (my EIC icon on this forum comes from one key, I play using a different one though) since GamersGate had to give me another one in the process of unclusterf*cking my purchase. :)

Looking at tech support I think I wasn't alone in that experience. Was the game worth going through all the trouble though? Call me a bad DRM hater but I think it was well worth it.

Last edited:
It seems to me that more publishers are moving to removing their copy protection after a certain time has gone by. So pretty much about 1 or 2 years after the initial sales run has finished, they come back in and patch out the copy protection for the convienience of their consumers. However, there are still too few of publishers that do this. Personally, I'd rather see some way of the copy protection system automatically removing itself after a set period of time so that I need not still dig up that CD of a game that I installed 2 years ago that I might want to play.

I forbid myself from buying Anno 1404 because of the tages system, and their insistance that they will NEVER add the ability to de-authorize a computer that the game is installed on so that the user can install it on another one of their computers (you know, after the initial x number of their computers has had the game installed and or re-installed due to adding hardware to the computer, or change of operating system etc), however I am weak, and the majority of my friends online (we are all city building gamers) don't care (except for installing Starfart, that is the only one that none of will allow on our comuters), and bought the game and were having a great time with it, so I was weak and bought it. Honestly, I love it, even though I know I will have to contact Tages the next time that I do some major hardware addition (time to upgrade my CPU is coming up before the end of this year), or whatever else invalidates it.

Anno 1404 is really just too good of a game to pass up, even if technically, Im only renting the game since I don't currently have unlimited installs on my own computers.

Yeah same here...
When they patch it out of the game I will buy it.
Just noticed Anno 1404/1404 AD had its DRM patched out just last week. Yay!

You still have to be connected to the internet though to get your game working. Connecting to the server should be taken away so you just have a cd check.

Last edited:
And when Paradox drops activations on EIC i will then buy it.

Interestingly EA has now dropped activations on there new games and since everyone follows EA i would imagine all the other companies will follow EA and drop activations.

I was really disappointed that Paradox brought in activations it was something that wasn't necessary Paradox and other gaming companies had followed EA lead. I have never brought a game since.

And when Paradox drops activations on EIC i will then buy it.

Interestingly EA has now dropped activations on there new games and since everyone follows EA i would imagine all the other companies will follow EA and drop activations.

I was really disappointed that Paradox brought in activations it was something that wasn't necessary Paradox and other gaming companies had followed EA lead. I have never brought a game since.

Woz, same here. I do not buy games that require activations or that install third party software on my system without my knowledge or approval.
When GOO is gone I will buy the game.

I just bought Majesty 2 yesterday as the GOO DRM has been removed from that game as of the last patch. It is currently under $8.00 at GamersGate.

Woz, same here. I do not buy games that require activations or that install third party software on my system without my knowledge or approval.
When GOO is gone I will buy the game.

I just bought Majesty 2 yesterday as the GOO DRM has been removed from that game as of the last patch. It is currently under $8.00 at GamersGate.
Does this also apply to the box version. If so i might buy it.

I think it applies to any version as long as the latest patch is installed as well. I simply made sure I installed the patch before starting the game for the first time and it did not ask me for any information at all.

I just purchased the game and applied the patch no activation or connection to server required. Very happy about that. If only Paradox get rid of the activation for EIC and i will buy that too.

See Paradox what happens when you get rid of activations you get more sales.

I just started the Steam DL of this, looks like fun, has anyone tried the Pirate version?

I do not pirate games (or anything for that matter), but have been waiting for the DRM in EIC to be removed so I can finally buy and try the game.

I have not even tried the demo in case it has DRM attached to it. I will simply buy the game when it is DRM free.