• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mindel

General
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2018
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I tend to play in 769, which sadly means that I almost never see a single crusade before having conquered the world. But is there any particular reason to fix them to 1095?

Last edited:
Crusades starts are dynamic?

Religion Criteria MTTH
Catholic
  • Reclaiming the Holy Land:
    • Year is at least 1090 AND
    • Jerusalem not controlled by Christians
10 years
Any of the following:
  • Byzantium Falling:
    • Year is at least 900 AND
      • Byzantine Emperor not Christian OR
      • Thrace or Ancyra not controlled by Christians OR
      • Neither Athens nor Corinth controlled by Christians
  • Fall of Rome:
    • Rome controlled by non-Christian or by heretic
  • France Threatened:
    • Provence, Toulouse, or Paris controlled by non-Christian
  • Germany not controlled:
    • Cologne (Köln) or Braunschweig Christian but controlled by non-Christian
3 months
Muslim
  • Caliphate Endures
    • Year is at least 1187 AND
    • Caliph exists
10 years
Any of the following:
  • Fall of Jerusalem
    • Jerusalem controlled by non-Muslim
  • Fall of Mecca
    • Mecca controlled by non-Muslim
  • Center Collapsing
    • Baghdad, Damascus or Cairo controlled by non-Muslim
  • Africa in Danger
    • Year is at least 1000 AND
    • Marrakech, Tunis or Al Djazair (Algiers) controlled by non-Muslim
3 months
Pagan
  • Any pagan faith reformed AND
  • Either Christian Crusades or Muslim Jihads unlocked
10 years
Zoroastrian
  • The Moabadan-Moabad is restored
Immediate
Judaism
  • The Kohen Gadol restored
Immediate

I propose you try playing in a later start date. There are reasons why the Crusades started when they did. Like what was shown above, they have given special conditions that can make them trigger earlier. A stretch, but still plausible. There's a link in the "spoiler" where you can get a lot of information on the crusades and why they happened.
The Christian world was a different beast in 769 and 1066

I propose you try playing in a later start date. There are reasons why the Crusades started when they did. Like what was shown above, they have given special conditions that can make them trigger earlier. A stretch, but still plausible. There's a link in the "spoiler" where you can get a lot of information on the crusades and why they happened.
The Christian world was a different beast in 769 and 1066

Thanks for the link, but it looks like there are over three hundred videos here. Could you pinpoint the particular one you're thinking about?

The link should bring you to the playlists talking about specific topics. There is one called The Pre-Crusades Era (8th-11th Centuries) not far from the top. That too has many videos but the idea is just so you have an idea of what was going on and not such much a blatant answer why.

While there are many videos, trying to explain everything would take just as long. In 769 the Pope had only just become a temporal power a few years ago. In a nut-shell, just take a look at the 769 map. Notice all the pagans and the coming invasions of Vikings into England and beyond? Christianity and the Papacy didn't have that kind of power yet. The Crusades started due to Muslim invasions into Byzantium. A request from the Emperor to the Pope got it started. Christanity then had become much more stable and able to take on such a feat. That's why I think even 900 is a stretch, but if places like Koln started getting taken, MAYBE the Pope could have gotten something together.

If anyone else feels they can better explain things more eloquently please do.

Last edited:
I don't really think Christians would have launched large scale invasions of Jerusalem when they still had a major pagan threat all around them. The pagans would just raid all the lands depleted by crusades and the Christians would lose more than they would gain. Also the Pope didn't really have the power to convince enough notable lords to support a far away invasion. Even without these historical problems I would say that the game isn't usually designed for world conquest players. The mechanics are more designed for a roleplay game. Allowing instant crusades would not only make absolutely no historical sense but the roleplay that drives so many players would be ruined.

If anything, I think the game allows Crusades to be triggered too early.