Why is my military's clout below 5%? How to increase it?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KopiG

Colonel
30 Badges
Jun 17, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
What can I do to increase it above 5%? I ran out of ideas.
1711715610351.png

1711715638304.png

You have Professional Army which makes it so non-Servicemen and non-Officers pops are half as likely to join the AF. Expanding your army would be a somewhat obvious solution, as your AF "only" has 1.5% of your population in it.

Lifting Professional Army for something like Mass Conscription could also work, as that would allow other pops to join the AF.

Expanding your military industry (Munition plants, Arms factories, Artillery foundries, Military shipyards) would also help as the middle and upper strata pops working there can join the AF (still, since you have Professional Army they're less likely to do so).

Raising the wages of your troops would also work in two ways, raising the wages makes them richer which gives the AF more clout, and having high wages makes your troops more likely to join the AF.

Passing the Militarized Police Force law would also help, as each level increases the AF clout by 10%.

And finally you can cycle through your generals to fish for AF members, with each commander giving more clout to the IG they are a part of.

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Weird system. Professional Army should make Military Clout Stronger. I understand less people wanting to join it, but weight of those who joined should compensate for that. Like, with professional army of adequate size Military should be at stable 10%.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Weird system. Professional Army should make Military Clout Stronger. I understand less people wanting to join it, but weight of those who joined should compensate for that. Like, with professional army of adequate size Military should be at stable 10%.
Normally generals add a huge amount, but OP inexplicably hasn't got a single AF general.

Reactions:
Normally generals add a huge amount, but OP inexplicably hasn't got a single AF general.
Generals are tricky. Even without stuff like trying to "raise" a good IG leader from general, you usually have some IG you absolutely don't want to empower. So with only 3 options, you usually can't be very picky, since you actually need generals, and you army is large. Getting loads of Military IG may actually be an issue, even if you grab every possible one and promote them. I think Military IG Generals, especially with Professional Army should have more political weight.

BTW, why game have stuff like Technocracy, but don't have good old Military Dictatorship in Distribution of Power laws? It surely was way more common. Yes, i know there are "military Dictatorship" countries and Fascists, but it's different.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well Professional Army does give a +25% clout, but I agree it's a bit low

I think a big issue is that there is no upper strata job for the AF, except for Aristocrats with Peasant Levies (but in this case the Landowners are probably very powerful in your society)

• 1Like
Reactions:
BTW, why game have stuff like Technocracy, but don't have good old Military Dictatorship in Distribution of Power laws? It surely was way more common. Yes, i know there are "military Dictatorship" countries and Fascists, but it's different.
Technically we already have that, Dictatorships in the game are defined as Presidential Republics + Autocracy (and maybe Oligarchy?), and a military dictatorship/junta is just that with the AF in power

Reactions:
Recruit a billion generals so their collective clout modifiers will dwarf any other interest groups.

Technically we already have that, Dictatorships in the game are defined as Presidential Republics + Autocracy (and maybe Oligarchy?), and a military dictatorship/junta is just that with the AF in power
Yes, we do. But we have distribution of power laws that give power to specific IGs. Yes, Monarchy give power to Military IG (but, IMO, this one is blurry, since by definition of Monarchy, that comes from Feudalism, aristocrats and military should be the same).

I think a big issue is that there is no upper strata job for the AF, except for Aristocrats with Peasant Levies (but in this case the Landowners are probably very powerful in your society)
This why i think we need power distribution law for Military. So they can become upper strata.

Yes, we do. But we have distribution of power laws that give power to specific IGs. Yes, Monarchy give power to Military IG (but, IMO, this one is blurry, since by definition of Monarchy, that comes from Feudalism, aristocrats and military should be the same).

This why i think we need power distribution law for Military. So they can become upper strata.
Something like a Stratocracy law boosting Officers/the AF, like how Monarchy boosts Aristocrats and Theocracy boosts the Devout?

• 1Like
Reactions: