• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eu1Pi

Recruit
Dec 24, 2023
Hi everyone! I've gone through the manual, but I can't seem to find anything explaining this phenomenon.

Attached are three screenshots of what I'm referring to. I'm playing as Russia, with Land Technology level 11. At the start of the game, all troop units in every European nation (except my own) had the same halberdier look. In the screenshots, the Polish army units stationed in Krementjug (or the ones laying siege to Posen) are a great example of this style. At some point in the 1500s, the army units of many Western European powers changed to look like what you'll see in the other two screenshots: they have a shiny conquistador-style helmet and carry a musket. Incidentally, I've found that these units always have a significant advantage over my units. In the screenshot of my army engaging a coalition of Bohemian troops and a few others in Thuringen, you'll see that they're in the process of losing to an army that is three times as small. This is not the case when it comes to troops that have the halberdier look - those seem equally matched to mine. Confusingly, I've seen both troop types exist side by side in Sweden at some point.

This has made me question whether the fact that these troops look different indicates that this is tied to the country's land technology level or something like that, and whether that explains why troops that look like that seem to be so much stronger than mine. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Attachments

• Europa Universalis 1 Screenshot.png.jpg
    Europa Universalis 1 Screenshot.png.jpg
    422,5 KB · Views: 0
  • Europa Universalis 1 second Screenshot.jpg
    Europa Universalis 1 second Screenshot.jpg
    290,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Europa Universalis 1 third Screenshot.jpg
    Europa Universalis 1 third Screenshot.jpg
    259,4 KB · Views: 0