Why do you love Europa Universalis & how would you explain it to a friend?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love EU because of it's depth, complexity and replay value. I have yet to ever completely finish a play-through and yet do not feel dismay at this fact.

I would describe it to my friends as a grand strategy game where anything can happen.

My very first game saw the Byzantine empire resurface and break down the Ottomans to 2-3 provinces.
Great-Britain being formed by Scotland.
The Hansa colonizing North America.
And me, playing as France, owning all of the Caribbeans & Brazil.

I love EU because of it's depth, complexity and replay value. I have yet to ever completely finish a play-through and yet do not feel dismay at this fact.

I would describe it to my friends as a grand strategy game where anything can happen.

My very first game saw the Byzantine empire resurface and break down the Ottomans to 2-3 provinces.
Great-Britain being formed by Scotland.
The Hansa colonizing North America.
And me, playing as France, owning all of the Caribbeans & Brazil.
Britain get formed by Scotland? That's the first time I seen this happen, because in my game Scotland always get taken over by England (unless it's a personal union)
Not surprised Byzantium reconquers because that does happens sometimes if you select "random" for lucky nations.

Britain get formed by Scotland? That's the first time I seen this happen, because in my game Scotland always get taken over by England (unless it's a personal union)
Not surprised Byzantium reconquers because that does happens sometimes if you select "random" for lucky nations.

His first game could've been 5.0. Scotland often destroyed England. I think it was because Highlanders Arrive was much more frequent? I can't remember.

Oh, and the reason I play it? Hard to say. Probably because I enjoy rampaging over things. Sometimes I even play a Civ V game only on Emperor just so I can win easily and destroy the AI.

My take on promotion is simple: Maybe the French can finally defend Paris?
Needless to say it tends to be a bit less effective on people of the French persuasion.

sure you had a great idea to bring out the game on August 13 the next few games have them starting August 15 so there is no spin because the majority of the human beings that time is on the sea rather than melt your computer to the hot.

I love EU IV for several reasons, but the reason I like it the most is because it is like a history book. But you do not read the book, you write it. And that's how I explain it to people, I say, well think of a World History class way back in High School and instead of someone telling you what happened, you come up with the story yourself.

If only I had known of Paradox grand strategy games back in my highschool days, history lessons would've been so much more interesting...
Now, when it comes to why I love Europa Universalis, there are many reasons, most of which have probably been already mentioned. One of the reasons is that I can play EU for any period of time and still feel like I spent my time well. This is rare for me, actually. I often look back at the games I played, say, during a weekend, and feel like I utterly wasted my time. With EU, and paradox games in general, it's more like this:

Midnight (after 10+ hours of gaming): "Oooh, the night's still young, game on!"
2AM: "Alright, 5 more years till the next diploannex, let's play a bit more."
3:30AM: *Yawn* "Okay, I'll really go to sleep soon."
5AM: *PC shuts down* OR "Oh screw it, let's pull an all-nighter."

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

As for explaining it to friends... I'd just force them to sit and watch me play. Anyone even remotely interested in strategy games will see the GRANDNESS of PDS strategy titles :)

Dude I keep dreaming about it... Today I woke up covered in sweat thinking how will I form PU with Lithuania playing as Poland. Watching Quill video made me paranoid :|

Why do I love it? I don't even know how I fell in love with it in the first place. For starters, paradox is one of the last bastions of quality gaming, providing games with depth and complexity with tons and tons of replayability.

I love Europa Universalis because it is a deep and complex game that is really rewarding. I love how EU is open-ended and how you grow a very tiny one province minor in to an empire that would gobble up the whole world. Europa Universalis is quality and you could really see in the game that the developers are really passionate about it and really care about the people who love Europa Universalis. I also love the soundtrack in EU and other PDS games because it is really what makes a difference between staring at a map the whole time and feeling that you are really in the game and experiencing what the people in that world experiences.

Just a tiny request for the future: Please bundle your spritepacks and expansions as it is annoying to purchase it one by one . Other than that, paradox is really the best and I hope they will remain as one of the last bastions of quality strategy games.

We got this as a love declaration from a gamer and we wanted to give it back to you all:
EuropaUniversalisIV_a_declaration_of_love_paradoxdevelopmentstudio.jpg

We got this as a love declaration from a gamer and we wanted to give it back to you all:
View attachment 119735

You have broken one of the Paradox ten commandments...Reported!
6. {No Spamming} You will not flood or post on the forums redundant, empty, or nonsensical posts or advertisements as determined by Paradox staff (i.e. no "spamming"), or necromancy (posting in old threads). Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations of any kind are not allowed on this Board.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?544261-****-Forum-User-Agreement-amp-Rules-****

I love Europa because it is so packed full of history(I have learned so much form this game), It's a great time-sink, and It has so many diverse play styles. You can use EU4 as a Blobbing simulator, you can colonize, you can play the vassal and PU game, and you can even do what Switzerland does!....Nothing!. Europa Universalis allows the player to decide how they want to play and achieve goals, it is the ultimate Sanbox Game.

I belong to a group of people who regularly play multiplayer together, this is a depiction by one of our members of the our average game. This is how I would describe the game.

PS: Censored portions of the original image to ensure it keeps to paradox's forum rules. Not sure if I can link the original?

EU4GameCen_zpsc5adf85c.jpg