• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[Kurt: Three centuries and two updates, including this one. Of course, there's more to come after that, I have to give a tour of Britain and the world. ;) ]

The England that Henry Stafford - now Henry II - came to rule over was surprisingly well-off for one that had recently gone through three decades of civil war. The fighting had mostly involved the nobility, and even then only on-and-off; of the lands belonging to the English monarch, only the peripheral lands of Iceland and the Greek Isles remained permanently sundered by the chaos. Henry's main task was to ensure a stable administration, a task he quickly and competently set to. Henry practically broke the power of the nobility, and turned England's focus back away from the Continent and to the sea. It was under Henry that the first expeditions were sent to America, and settlements soon followed these explorers.

Henry's son Edward VI was a decidedly uninspiring ruler; he did little in England during his short reign aside from letting his authority drift to the Privy Council and back to the nobility to some extent. In America, however, the famed Ethelred Harcourt began his great expeditions up and down the coastline that would eventually become the heartland of British America, founding the important centres of New Lothian and Nova Scotia along with their main cities of Norfolk and Port Royal. It was Edward's son Henry III who would prove the more engaged monarch - and the more momentous one. Lutheranism had grown more and more common underground in England, despite the work of Sir Thomas More, and combined with a royal argument with the Pope this resulted in Henry deciding to make the Church of England independent from Rome.

Visitation_monasteries.jpg

Agents of Thomas Cromwell leaving a destroyed monastery (1530s)

Henry quickly moved to integrated England into the grow Protestant world of the time. He personally entered into sequential marriage alliances with the two most powerful Protestant countries on the continent, the Kingdom of Baden and the Commonwelath of Poland and Lithuania. Although he was uncertain about changing the theological content of the newly-independent church at first, the influence of more radical reformers in England, along with his final wife Salome, resulted in the nature of Anglicanism slowly drifting during the middle of the 16th century. Combined with persecution under Henry's very Catholic daughter, Mary I, the true break with Catholic tradition had been made. Soon, even more radical groups, in particular the Puritans, appeared in England and tried to assert themselves in the face of opposition from both Catholics and Anglicans.

Religious tensions, both domestic and foreign, boiled over entirely during the reign of Elisabeth I. The northern parts of the Netherlands were lost early on, and soon Catholics througout Britain itself - in particular in Kent, the Scottish Highlands, and Ireland - made constant bids to replace the Protestant leadership of their country with a Catholic one. These times of unrest resulted in the Catholics involved calling upon the foreign power that would most famously attempt to reinstate Catholicism in England - Philipp III of Spain, whose "Invincible Armada" sailed for England in the late 1580s. Skilled assaults by English ships and poor luck with weather, however, resulted in the fleet being sunk, and by the end of Elisabeth's reign the Catholic threat had ended, though the persecution of them did not.

Said time was, however, also the end of the Stafford dynasty. Henry III's inability to have a male heir brought a new family to the throne of the newly-created Empire of Great Britain: the same Borcalans who had taken such a large role in the late Siwarding period, now Dukes of Lothian, the main noble family in Scotland, and fully integrated into British culture. The Borcalans began well, but even in the reign of the first one, James, it was becoming apparent that the power of the Imperial title was starting to go to his head. Once his son Charles became Emperor in 1625, things unravelled for the Borcalan dynasty entirely.

Not merely absolutist, Charles was that worst thing a ruler could be: arbritrary. His switching back-and-forth with Parliament as to whether he intended to rule with their input or not quickly raised their ire, culminating in the Helvetian War of 1639. Although the war was a successful one for Charles and the British - Badish alliance that was arrayed against France, the expense forced Charles to deal with Parliament in order to pay for it. Parliament responded to the moment of weakness on Charles' part to order the execution of a hated second-in-command of his who had committed crimes in office; when Charles sought to arrest Parliamentary leaders for this, Parliament quickly rose up against him - as did much of the country. The English Civil War that followed was short and bloody, and ended with the death of Charles late in 1642. The Commonwealth had come, and although the monarchy would return, the power of the Emperor had been limited for good.

Looking forward to the official start of this more and more...

It's coming, it's coming... I'll admit, I'm focusing perhaps a bit too much on the scenario and less on here and am likely to finish that a lot earlier than get to the start here, but eh, better safe than sorry. :)

An AAR... about a yet-Saxon Angle-land? Ooooooo you have no idea how much I am in this. My only question is since this is a free-parter, could someone with no real experience in the prior paradox games read the previous chapters and still comprehend them?

þancung. :)

An AAR... about a yet-Saxon Angle-land? Ooooooo you have no idea how much I am in this. My only question is since this is a free-parter, could someone with no real experience in the prior paradox games read the previous chapters and still comprehend them?

þancung. :)

Absolutely. I don't think there would be any single problem. I understood the EU part when I wasn't quite familiar with that game...

So far, the CK part has been great and the EU2 part only so so, as it is so close to RL history. Looking forward to the V2 part!:)

At last! It has returned! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this continue. 'After Hastings' and 'O Lord, Our God...' were some of my favourite AARs because of the detail and plausibility that went into them, especially the little interludes of (Modern) Old English. Being of Saxon-Danish descent paternally, an English/British history without the evil Normans has a special place in my heart! :)

God Save the Empire! Got and min riht!

[Communitarian!: Wilcume! And you should have no problem reading the earlier sections; I made pretty much no references to the game itself directly, particularly once I'd gotten settled into the whole thing. In fact I may have glossed over things now and again where they were really stupid (Prussia technically should have a random province in Bosnia, for instance, which I decided to pretend didn't happen.)

Nikolai: Yeah, I didn't like that either - if I'd been able to use EU3 (stupid old computer :p ) when I started that section then we wouldn't have had that problem, but ah, well. Fortunately, Vicky's only to happy to have things go their own way, hopefully.

Aetherius: Since you likely aren't familiar with my AARing habits, I'll excuse you this once and simply warn you not to expect updates to be that constant. ;)

Andreios II: Well, the motto of the British monarchy is now Pax quaeritur bello - the whole thing about Divine Right kind of went out of fashion when the Borcalans were knocked off the throne. And speaking of what happened when they did...]

Although the British government stubbornly insisted that the new state was still a monarchy, and Parliament set about the task of finding a new person to take the throne as a hopefully more pliable ruler, Britain was practically ruled as a republic after the execution of Emperor Charles. As such, the period of full Parliamentary rule (along with, usually, the Protectorate) is generally known as the Commonwealth. For some time after its establishment, attempts to reestablish Charles' descendants upon the throne flared up again and again; along with the immediate battles in the remainder of the 1640s, pro-Borcalan invasions continued until the middle of the 18th century. None, however, proved successful, and by 1800 it was obvious to all that their time had ended.

The line that would come to replace them appeared, unusually enough, not from the high nobility but from the gentry. The Cromwell family had enjoyed a brief period of note during the reign of Henry III, when Thomas Cromwell had been his chief minister before falling out of favour. It was a distant descendant of his sister that rose to power thanks to his prowess as a military commander: Oliver Cromwell. Cromwell quickly managed to impress enough of those in power, and drive off with the help of his military command enough of those who weren't impressed, to become the absolute ruler of Great Britain with the establishment of the Protectorate in 1653. From here, it took four years of negotiations - more with the rest of the military leadership who were more wary of a new monarchy - to bring about the Humble Petition and Advice of the Parliament, making Oliver the new Emperor of Great Britain.

Naturally, although Oliver I had general support and four years before even taking the throne to cement his rule, there were significant problems - particularly as his own official reign only lasted for a year, and his heir, Richard, had neither the skill nor the political connections to ensure stability. Had he insisted upon power, the result might have been a swift end to the fledgeling dynasty; as it was, he had just enough foresight to abdicate in favour of his brother Henry IV, who had not only more ability but also the support of the leading figure of the Commonwealth period, John Lambert. The army was quickly brought to his side, and with their support and the respect of Parliament and the Church of England, Henry's power was secure. Although he had barely a decade to enjoy the new stability in Great Britain, he had ensured the place of the Cromwells on the throne.

639233_5cccb459.jpg

Stone marking the location of Henry IV's "Loughton Speech" on 9 June 1659.

Henry V, the next ruler, would have a longer yet considerably more tumultuous reign. At home, anti-Catholic fervour gripped the nation, while Parliament began to fully divide into its more conservative and liberal branches (although the parties involved would slowly drift over the next century, and new ones would arise to take their place). Abroad, Henry's eyes first looked to Italy, where he took the opportunity to weaken Spain by supporting the 1682 rebellion in Sicily. A second involved an expeditionary force sent to aid the Helvetian Confederation against the Republic of Siena. This had two wide-ranging effects - it put in place an independent Papal administration that, strangely enough, relied upon Britain for support, and created the career of the famed John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough.

With the question of the succession of the Spanish monarch in 1701, Europe broke out into a massive war that is by many considered the first "world war" due to fighting around the world. The largest effects were in Europe, however, and specifically in France. In a surprising and brave act, the British military did not strike from Flanders, as they usually did, but risked uncertain supply lines to invade Bretagne by sea. It was the first true sign of the naval might that would allow Britain to rule the waves, and successfully resulted in a decisive victory for the League of Augsburg who opposed French claims to Spain. Britain herself gained Bretagne; however, Henry's need to spend a short time there to put the place in order resulted in political turmoil back home as his son Thomas appeared little suited to keep Parliament under control.

When Henry died in 1711 and left Thomas in control, the result was nearly a revolution. Over the next few years, riots appeared throughout Britain, until a Reform Act in 1714 succeeded in quieting the increasingly-discontented middle class, allowing Britain a period of peace once again (this reform would be followed by the legalisation of Catholicism in 1732). Along with that succees, the creation of a puppet-state in Bengal made Britain the undisputed main European power in India though the Honourable East India Company, a position that the Empire would use to eventually gain some measure of control over most of the subcontinent by the early 19th century. Thus, the country seemed in a good position going into the War of the League of Augsburg in 1728. Instead, the result was an embarassing and bloody stalemate that, at one point, included an (ill-fated, however) invasion of Britain itself.

The next war, however, would come soon after and be somewhat more successful. War against Spain in 1737 resulted in the admittedly poor region of Patagonia becoming a British colony, along with the crippling of the Dutch navy and portions of Zeeland going to Flanders. Unfortunately, this success also soon brought with it turmoil at home, as the gains were seen to be too small; into this turmoil, the Borcalans made their final bid for power. Beginning their great rebellion in 1745, they were already gaining ground when the death of Emperor Thomas in erly 1746 seemed to give them a decisive edge. Instead, the new Cromwell emperor, Oliver II, proved more than a match for the prideful and barely-competent Charles Borcalan. At Swarkestone Bridge on 24 June 1746, Charles' errors and Oliver's bravery resulted in a decisive victory for the Cromwells and the final end to the hopes of a Borcalan restoration.

The next three decades that made up Oliver II's reign is often considered a golden age - the Marathi Confederacy was defeated and many of the resulting minor states put under East India Company influence, the political situation settled down, and the French and Indian War of 1756 resulted in all of the French settlements on mainland America becoming British colonies. Although the sudden expansion of America and the need for taxation nearly resulted in a revolution there, that settled down as well. The absorption of many of Portugal's former colonies - including particularly lucrative ones such as several Caribbean islands and South Africa - along with expeditions in the Pacific in the 1770s, cemented the British Empire's place as the foremost colonial power in the world.

Surrender_of_Tipu_Sultan.jpg

Tipu Sultan of Mysore meeting with the East India Company, by Rober Horne (1793)

The ascension of Empress Elisabeth II in 1777 placed Britain under a Protectorate due to a ruler not of age once again, but by this point the monarchy had lost much of its power and there were few reprecussions. What would prove to be far more momentous was the growing revolutionary liberal movement in Europe. The creation of the Batavian Republic in 1785 sent waves throughout Europe, and particularly in Britain. Although the fighting between the conservative Whigs and the liberal Levellers never became violent, there was much argument between the Whig champion, Pitt the Younger, and the Leveller one, Charles Fox. When the unrest in Europe turned in the War of the Dutch Revolution, Britain first followed Pitt and sided with the monarchist factions of Europe. When that war ended inconclusively, however, the danger of France reared its head once again.

The great War of the Second Coalition, in 1799, cemented the place of liberalism in Europe forever; when the anti-French coalition, including Britain, sided with French Republicans due to their weariness with Bourbon antics, a second republic was put into place alongside the Netherlands. Britain itself liberalised considerably - Fox won the long-standing rivalry between himself and Pitt, and during the first decade of the 19th century many reforms were put through, though not as many has he had wanted - universal adult suffrage, for instance, remained a distant dream. In fact, several attempts to roll them back by the very conservative government of Liverpool during the 1810s resulted in turmoil once again. All this showed, however, was just how much Fox had one the war of ideas - Liverpool's attempts failed by 1819, and the reforms became permanent ones.

The next decade and a half saw little of note occuring in Britain. The Industrial Revolution took hold, resulting in some prosperity; however, discontent amongst the lower classes began to take some shape, particularly as those without enough income (a significant number of people) still did not have the right to vote; some put out of work by the new machines, particularly farmers, were among the most angry, culminating in the "Captain Swing" Riots of 1830. On the surface, however, Britain was powerful and stable. Her colonial empire added several small but strategic places throughout the period - Singapore in 1824, Malacca in 1826, the Sandwich Islands in 1828, and Aden in 1833. As Elisabeth II prepared for her Diamond Jubilee in 1837, there was already plenty of reason to think that the remainder of the century would be determined by Britain.

Yay! Action incoming!

Ahhh I've taken a liking to Charles Fox - Outspoken Liberal in OTL and both outspoken Liberal and reforming First Minister in TTL. I was impressed at how many of his reforms got through, especially the disestablishment of the Church of England, considering how radical and ahead of their time they were.

Elizabeth II must be getting on by '36-37, even if she was a child at the time of her father's death... she must be 80-odd by now?
Speaking of Elizabeths, did you envision what happened to Elizabeth Borcalan (Stuart) in TTL? It'd be interesting to see if they led into the House of Hannover as ours did historically, it'd be fascinating to see OTL Victoria as a private citizen in a Cromwellian Britain!

wow it took me weeks to read your other 2 AARs and they only got me more pumped for this one :D cant wait for a new update.