When will we receive a fix for the new Intel processors?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sneakk

Corporal
89 Badges
Mar 5, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
For those uninitiated, The new 13th gen intel processors (like the 13900K for example) have some sort of instability issue with the clausewitz engine. This will cause you to not be able to play more than a couple of years on CK3 or Victoria 3 without crashing (and I'm talking unmodded, vanilla games by the way).

There are some silly "workarounds" like cutting down the amount of cores in half in the task manager affinity option (under details) that are a roll of the dice if they will work for you. They don't for me.

There is no point in me buying dlcs for games that I can not play, and as more people modernize their stuff and paradox releases newer games with the same engine issue, this will become an ever increasing problem for them. IT HAS BEEN MONTHS, at this point you should have managed to establish some contact with Intel over this.

If you are planning to buy a new 13th gen Intel CPU, PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS ISSUE BEFOREHAND!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There are some silly "workarounds" like cutting down the amount of cores in half in the task manager affinity option (under details) that are a roll of the dice if they will work for you. They don't for me.
Then you have an unrelated problem, and any fix for the e-cores issue will not help you!

Then you have an unrelated problem, and any fix for the e-cores issue will not help you!
My friend, we have tried every solution under the sun together and I by myself, and I have gone through a major revamp of my computer, both with software AND hardware all across the board and still NOTHING. If it is an unrelated problem, then how come I have problems ONLY with the games known to have issues with the 13th gen CPU?

I have reinstalled almost every possible driver on my computer, I installed new tools and monitoring applications to track issues, heck, I even discovered issues I didn't know I had like having a defective RAM card and my Windows having stopped updating itself automatically, all in my attempts to get to play your games, and still, NOTHING has worked yet. I feel like Sisyphus and refuse to give up just the same, but to say that I am frustrated would be quite an understatement. This has to be the lowest personal point when it comes to enjoying Paradox Games ever since I bought my first copy of HoI3 as a teenager.

On a side note, I did start having crashing issues with Stellaris as well now since the newest Caelum update, though in the defense of that one, it could be possible it's the fault of mods for that one, though then again, I haven't really changed anything in my mod order for a long time so something's definitely gone broke either way. I hope this won't be the same fate with the newest HoI 4 dlc when it comes out, as I'll certainly hang my coat with grand strategies for good if that happens, seeing how it's the only game I still have left besides CK2.

EDIT: I should add, I do not have crashing issues with other games, just YOURS. My total war games don't crash on me, shooter games are all fine and dandy, realistic simulators, MOBAS, classical RTS and indies are for the most part fine (and if they are not, it's typically a known issue from the developer's side).

EDIT2: Sorry if it feels like I'm attacking you, I'm really not, I know you're just trying to do your job and help me, I'm just completely worked up about it because I like these games so much.

Last edited:
If it is an unrelated problem, then how come I have problems ONLY with the games known to have issues with the 13th gen CPU?
That problem is due to the differences between p-cores (which are like all cores were in previous generations) and e-cores, which are new to 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs. If you've successfully used Affinity to prevent ck3.exe and Victoria3.exe running on the e-cores, but you still get crashes, your problem cannot be due to that problem, so consequently cannot be helped by any putative fix for that problem.

I'm willing to work with you again and try to diagnose where your issue does lie, if you want to start a new thread in either games' tech support forum.

There is no known issue with those CPUs and older Clausewitz engine versions; only the new ones that come in those two new games, AND use the Jomini framework as well. Your issues with Stellaris will be due to mods needing to be updated for the new patch, I am sure.

The same is very likely to happen when a new major patch for HOI4 comes out; mods for any game routinely need to be updated at that time.

Alright, let us try again, maybe you can move this thread to CK3 then? What's the next step for me to do now? I'll attach the current dxdiag as usual, just in case.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    132,4 KB · Views: 0
Please make a new thread in Vic3 or CK3 tech support, and attach there dxdiag.txt , the game txt and log files like before, and I suppose a Speccy output too.

And, if you see entries in the Windows Event Viewer corresponding to these crashes, let us know the details of those there too.

Please make a new thread in Vic3 or CK3 tech support, and attach there dxdiag.txt , the game txt and log files like before, and I suppose a Speccy output too.

And, if you see entries in the Windows Event Viewer corresponding to these crashes, let us know the details of those there too.
Done it in Victoria 3