• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, I've got one question: artillery reserve corps, are they worth it? So far Napoleonic system works really well for me, main army of 30-50k with 2-4 mixed unit corps (I call them infantry for convenience, but stack them with all kinds of units to get the right tactics) 20-30k each, one 10-15k cavalry reserve corps to wipe out stragglers and quickly come to aid when march to the sounds of guns is not available. However, when I create an artillery reserve corps (8-10 artillery brigades, backed up by some infantry), I don't seem to profit much from it. Its seems that it takes them double the time to capture the city compared to the rest of the corps.

However, when I create an artillery reserve corps (8-10 artillery brigades, backed up by some infantry), I don't seem to profit much from it. Its seems that it takes them double the time to capture the city compared to the rest of the corps.
Artillery increases the chance of breaching the fortification, which in turn makes an infantry assault more likely to succeed. So your options are, in increasing order of how long they take:

1. Storm the fortress immediately, using infantry. You will take huge losses unless the fortress is small and your troops are elite.
2. Bring up your Reserve Artillery and wait for a breach. Then storm the fortress with infantry as above, but with a much better chance of success.
3. Lay siege to the fortress and starve it out. The type of troops you have for this doesn't matter at all, as long as they outnumber the garrison by 2:1.

In other words, the only tactic that your Reserve Artillery corps helps with is (2). That doesn't mean it's worthless, though: a powerful coastal fortress is almost impossible to starve out unless you can blockade it, and too strong to storm unless you get a breach or don't mind throwing away 70,000 men. However, artillery alone is useless for sieges; you need to bring up the Reserve Artillery to support an army of infantry which will carry out the actual assault.

In other words, the only tactic that your Reserve Artillery corps helps with is (2). That doesn't mean it's worthless, though: a powerful coastal fortress is almost impossible to starve out unless you can blockade it, and too strong to storm unless you get a breach or don't mind throwing away 70,000 men. However, artillery alone is useless for sieges; you need to bring up the Reserve Artillery to support an army of infantry which will carry out the actual assault.

Wouldn't it be better to switch the order? First bring up the artillery reserve and then waltz in with the infantry corps? That's what I started to do toward the end of the campaign. Still, all in all, not sure if that's the best option. I would probably take one of the infantry corps and reinforce it with higher percentage of artillery, reserving it for the sieges, but making sure it could be used in a battle as well. Otherwise, I am wasting my leaders on the artillery reserve (can't believe I ran out of leaders for Russia, but I did).

Wouldn't it be better to switch the order? First bring up the artillery reserve and then waltz in with the infantry corps?
I think that's fine if you want to do it that way, but there are two possible problems with that strategy:

• If your artillery reserve is too small, it won't actually start the siege going. You need at least twice the garrison numbers to progress the siege.
  • An army of mostly artillery isn't going to do well in a battle against an opponent with a full balance of cavalry and light infantry attached: so you'll need to keep your reserve safely behind the front lines and only bring it up into action once the enemy are defeated or driven back. So in most cases, your front line corps are going to reach the enemy fortress first anyway, to be joined by the artillery later.

I would probably take one of the infantry corps and reinforce it with higher percentage of artillery, reserving it for the sieges, but making sure it could be used in a battle as well.
Sure. I think the artillery reserve strategy is best for armies which can't afford to build artillery for all their field corps; or possibly, who want to keep their field corps mobile and instead have a dedicated stack devoted only to city-busting. Remember, artillery uses a lot of frontage and is slow-moving.

I saw the tip about Russia attacking Ottomans when the Ottomans are at war with Austria. This really works for most wars: attack when the enemy is distracted; especially when they are fighting on the opposite side of their country. Also, if there are several nations you wish to grind away at,(e.g. Prussia or Austria as Russia) take advantage of the truce. They won't attack if you have a truce. Another thing, keep track of your victory provinces and your enemies' victory provinces. When at war beeline these territories so you can dislodge them from the top. Finally, you don't need to advance on an even front. Take the forts and provinces in between them but don't try to take every province. Only forts add to war score.

I saw the tip about Russia attacking Ottomans when the Ottomans are at war with Austria. This really works for most wars: attack when the enemy is distracted; especially when they are fighting on the opposite side of their country. Also, if there are several nations you wish to grind away at,(e.g. Prussia or Austria as Russia) take advantage of the truce. They won't attack if you have a truce. Another thing, keep track of your victory provinces and your enemies' victory provinces. When at war beeline these territories so you can dislodge them from the top. Finally, you don't need to advance on an even front. Take the forts and provinces in between them but don't try to take every province. Only forts add to war score.

Forts and cities mon ami :)!

Look up higher it wasnt me who said they have no purpose, I quoted the guy saying they had no purpose, I was telling him they did >.< and I went to tell him that I don't know I have never seen number values, but I have seen the percentage counters for example in the battle screen, and the idea tab. But I was talking to Dalwin whom was stating that they had no affect, I was meaning I never saw numbers other than percentages, like core base values. Which I would like to be able to see. For ex. the ability to see how much supply an army will use, and how much the trains carry specifically and regions etc. Sorry for my bad english/miscommunication.

Gah, miscommunication.

Problem solved. I wouldn't want anyone to miss that nice little bonus. :)

Oh, and if anyone knows the ratio of supply trains to brigades in terms of carried supply and bonuses, let me know.

How about... named province? i.e. its name shows up on map in text box.

How about... named province? i.e. its name shows up on map in text box.

Do you mean can you change provincial names? In the pop up box you can delete them and rename them.

Wow, great tips. Keep them coming.

Here are a few tips i found while playing :

- Use Diplomacy to make them declare wars on you
You may ask "Why? I just need to declare war on them!". Yes. But here's the situation for example :
You are France and at war with England and Russia. You want invade Hessen to annex it. Hessen independence is guaranteed by Austria. You don't want a war with Austria.
Just "insult" Hessen until your diplomacy with them is negative and wait. There's a very good chance they will declare war on you and you can crush/annex them without problems with Austria

- Manpower is a major issue, gold isn't. Build guards as they are the best use of manpower. You still need a bunch of artys and some cavalry but guards shall be the bulk of your armies (disband inf/light inf)

- Annex is much more efficient than satelitte in all aspects but one : it cost less in a peace negotiation to satelitte than dismember a country.
So, it's faster to satelitte a country as you don't have to take a piece of them, wait the end of the truce, war them again and annex. But they don't join your glorious empire and keep their manpower for themselves. You shall not accept that :)

- When you beat a decent army, don't let them recover. Pursue them and destroy them to the last man. Else, the army will replenish and you will have to fight it again.

- Speed if crucial. As such, i usually create my armies with their speed as criteria.
* A type of army with speed of 0.9 (arty/supply) : siege forts/city my main armies left behind
* A type of army with speed of 1 (guards/horse arty/supply/cavalry with speed 1.25) : my main armies which search, fight and destroy ennemy main armies, siege the forts/cities once it's done. Horse arty is less powerfull than regular one but will do the job
* A type of army with the 1.50 cavalry : get along main armies, lend a hand to defeat ennemy main armies and hunt single regiments who try to sneak behind
* A type of army of 1.75 cavalry : scout around to spot ennemy main armies and clean single regiments on the way

- Adjust the size of your armies to the needs
You never need a permanent 100k+ army. You better have several armies running around sieging forts and gather them when you need
When defending, you can have larger armies

- Being at war isn't a problem for your war attrition. Only loss will add to it.
So, you can be at war during all the game with no consequences and, in fact, you shall allways be at war with someone to conquer more lands :D

- As Russia, you can join Austria against Ottomans. I tried it several times and you have an easier war against Ottomans but Austria tends to get grounds in Greece.
I tried to let Austria and Ottomans bleed each others for few years; most of the time, they just stall the other. In the meantime, it's easy to crush Sweden (with few ships to help) and Prussia. Then, Russia can crush Ottomans without a problem and boot Austria if need be
The only but big downside is that with Prussia and Austria out of the picture, France doesn't have any decent opposition to slow them...
Finaly, i think the best way is to bring immediately all Russia army to Ottomans borders (leave east wide open), build as much arty as you can to lower siege time and blitzkrieg them up to Greece. Then, wipe the rest of Ottomans and annex every land between Austria and Ottomans.
That way, Austria and Ottomans won't be at war, Austria can fight France and you can feed on Ottomans for years