• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Julian192001

Recruit
Jan 2, 2012
Hello all,

I'm currently building a major Subway line for my CIM2 and I laid down the 4 Tracks so I can have a local and Express line. I thought that was the case, but for some reason, I cannot install a Express station. Only locals. Am I doing something wrong or what is the point of having the 4 tracks if I cannot install 4 Station?

Thanks,
~Julian

What do you mean express station?

Anyway, as far as I know, the four-track section is useful when you want a line to stop at a station (outer tracks) and a line (express) to pass by and not be slowed down (inner tracks).

Also, it might be useful in points of the network where you have massive train traffick

The point that Julian is making is that the required stations with island platforms are not available, these are needed to facilitate passenger transfer from fast to slow tracks and vice versa. There have been many requests for these in the past by other members of the forum. These requests have all fallen on deaf ears at CO in the past, perhaps they feel that is too difficult, as they would need to be precisely placed between two single tracks.
Could CO please comment?

In fact I never went in a situation where I needed to use 4-track. If I run an express service (not that I use it so often, I have to say) I simply build a 2-track line and I build a 2way track to separate the local stations, so the express service can overrun the local.
Like that
Code:
====================
   \\                         //
     ==Local Station==

In my opinion it isn't needed to do anything more, except that for aesthetics, especially thinking that we don't have switch for outer/inner tracks and we have to do ugly junctions with 2-tracks.
When we'll have different trains with very different speeds probably 4tracks will become useful.

If you are running a line with Express/Local patterns, just bring the line back down to 2 tracks briefly and place a station. After the station, expand it back to 4 tracks and continue. That's how I've done it.

How a local train station look like:
Station_Track_layout-2.png

(Brown : track with platform for local train alighting and boarding)
(Blue: track without platform for express train pass through the station)

I use 4-track for 2 lines:
1 line going north to south, the other going south to north.
Line 1 stops at every stop, till it reaches the south station, then it goes on the middle track, immediately back to the north station.
Line 2 does the same, but then from south to north.

This system allows for immediate peak-coverage, and the return trip is very valued by the CIMS(because you don't need to stop EVERYWHERE).

Exactly. I can't see what use can have the 4-track...
No, 4-track rail is very useful...

That's how 4-track rail in CIM2 act as part of the local train station and let express train pass through, And how single track and double track construct a local-express train interchange station,

Last edited:
I've found it useful when I had too much passengers which results in overcrowding. I then build a ring line that connected several of the busiest connection points while running parallel to some of the other lines.

But I usually build separate one-track tunnels.

I just have a question: after stations the express tracks switch back to the outer tracks on 4 track, how do I get it to use the inside tracks? Thanks in advance

Place a way point on the inside track and add it when adding stations to the line.

You can also combine metro and tram on a 4-track section:
pic 1 Screenshot_2014-08-24_20-20-29.jpg here you can see connection metro/tram/street
pic 2 Screenshot_2014-08-24_20-26-45.jpg tram and metro on same track
pic 3 Screenshot_2014-08-24_20-27-04.jpg tram go to its own track
pic 4 Screenshot_2014-08-24_20-27-23.jpg metro goes underground, 1 more metro on another track

you can see the the track i normally use for the trams on both sides of the 4-track bridge (cut of)

I did this combination tram/metro just to show that is is possible and how to use a 4-track metrotrack for trams to, it works to have them on same track but it is not perfect, metros go much faster than trams and get delayed in this situation. (see pic 2)

But if you have them on different tracks them it will work well to use 4-tracks

Last edited: