• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Semper Fi is now close to be released, and our download people will soon start on a new project.. The question is.. Which one do YOU want to see?

We got alot of ideas, but want to hear which one you would like to see?

Are we to assume that Victoria 2 won't be playable as a finished game upon release and will need an expansion?

I could suggest reading the developer diaries discussions for Victoria 2 you would know that we are striving to create a finished game that is playable on release. To do that we made the command decisions to not reach too far with the features but instead make sure that we aimed for features that would be finished and playable. Defence exhibit A, the world market. One possibility for an expansion for Vicotria 2 is to replace the playable and finished world market with region markets and seperate regional pricing.

Great.

So why will an expansion be needed then, exactly?

Especially when the game is extremely user-friendly for modding...

It won't be needed, however parhaps the stuff we add might just make the game more enjoyable.

So, are you telling me that I, the consumer, will be able to buy Victoria 2 and enjoy it without needing to buy an expansion that will fix any bugs that may appear?

In other words, if (when) bugs do appear, will you continue to support correcting any bugs, without forcing the consumer to buy an expansion that will be needed if one wants to keep playing an improved version without bugs?

Really I think you should stop buying software. There will reach a point where we will no longer support Victoria 2 and then we will cease to patch it. At this point we will probably make and expansion. If we find bugs dating back from the original game we will fix it then, instead of releasing a product with flaws in the name of ideological purity. Microsoft does not still support Windows 98 and they have far higher budgets than we do.

So you are encouraging me to stop buying Paradox products??:wacko:

EU2, CK and Victoria in their last patch versions (1.09, 1.05 and 1.04) were as good as I could expect them to play as finished versions - and I don't expect Paradox to continue to patch these products any further - I merely expect them to release a game that works and if it doesn't they fix it so that the customers feel as if they are actually buying a finished product, not a Work in Progress.

Since what is a finished product is a matter of your opinion there is absolutely no way I can give you any such gurantee. We cannot commit to keep patching a game until every single customer feels that they are satisfied according to their personal opinions. What we will do is make sure that we patch a game as much as is needed to make sure that the game is in a state that we are happy with.

I vote Rome. Maybe it is time to make it good enough so that Johan will buy it.

but but.. I can get it for free i think....

Fair enough. So shame is preventing you from register it? :p
Rome needs expansion :)

nah, i don't register games except eu3 because i played MP with eu3

But surely you can commit to saying that Paradox will continue to fix bugs for Victoria 2 (as an example) even beyond the time when an expansion is released for it. I mean, there is a difference between bugs and cosmetic/gameplay improvements, and we the customers are entirley at the mercy of the creators when it comes to the actual gameplay of a game.

No we do not do that. Mainly because we would then have two seperate code bases to support. Making them harder to test and make sure they work, plus doubles the time and cost of making things like installers which then in turn reduces the time we can spend supporting our games. I am not sure what you want from us here. We did 4 substantial patches for HoI3. Including several public betas to make sure that we gave fans the very best patch we could. We took seriously the issues people had with things like perfromance and did a lot work on improvening this problem. We could of done a Napoleon Total War but did not.

So then, if there is to be a Victoria ACW expansion, and should there be bugs to be fixed in Victoria 2 - you are saying that come the release date of the expansion, any further bugs that may exist and persist in Victoria 2, will only be fixed through patches to the expansion?

Yes that is entirely correct.

From what I've been able to comprehend from the questions I've asked so far, it would seem Paradox are looking towards an expansion as some sort of catalyst for them to continue patching Victoria 2, whilst adding game-enhancing features as well.

What annoys me is the fact that they seem to be dressing up the fact that it will be a patching expansion, with the idea that whatever else will come with the expansion will indeed by the crux of the expansion, even though Paradox have made all EU3-engined games extremely user-friendly for modding...

Again, it would seem Paradox are happy to release games, and then to change how the games play whenever they feel like an expansion is worthy, so that they can receive more revenue from us the customers, who are willing to pay so that they continue to support improving the game and fixing any bugs that exist.

No, if we don't do an expansion for Victoria do not hold your breath on a patch 2 years down the line.

Victoria 2 - I'm sure many fans would appreciate a Victoria 2 expansion, but the game hasn't even been released yet! Isn't it a little early to be considered for an expansion?

This is a fair point. All I can say in defence of it is that Victoria 2 as a game scope has a lot of potential for expansion material.

I'd say Rome needs it more, but I'm not a beta for Rome, I'd have to wait for it like everyone else :( ...then again, maybe they'll let the CE owners test it...

While I would love a rotw expansion for eu3 I think Rome is long overdue for an expansion and the alexander period sounds like a wonderfull theme for one (but the map would have to be expanded).

Rome is a great game and would benefit greatly from an expansion.

I've also seen 2 paradox Devs say they have "A lot of ideas" for EU rotw. I wish I saw devs saying "we really really have some great ideas for Rome."

They have been :) Or atleast Doomdark has. Way before this poll even.

Status
Not open for further replies.