• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

es333

Banned
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I have a plan to start an interesting game with the customizer, but I don't want to play near Byzantium.

Playing as Geogria/Armenia, the main benefit is that I can blind/castrate prisoners. Other countries can't do anything to their prisoners, which is boring, if I really hate them (like an ambitious brother who has revolted 3 times).

Byzantine culture group: Greek, Armenian, Georgian, Alan.

Not at all, you can be a Shia Alan, and freely imprison and castrate your brothers... (^w^)

I agree. But they did it the most, as far as I know.

I won't argue that, but what I will argue is that it is very plausible and probably historically accurate that many other different cultures, religions, and creeds both castrated and blinded people, among other things. The king of Asturias starts out with 3 blind brothers for gods sake, but if I play as him, I cannot blind anyone. Awkward, historically incorrect, and limited gameplay lessening the fun. Sounds like a terrible decision if you ask me.

Personally, I think blinding/castrating is more of a disadvantage than it is an advantage.

Realms tends to be more unstable due to the AI blinding/castrating everyone and then thinking that a minor Honorary Title is going to make up for it.

It's also far more dangerous for you and your dynasty members. If you get captured, there's a fair chance they'll get blinded/castrated since the AI loves that option.

In one Catholic game, I ended up with the Byzantine Empire with a vassal Bulgarian King (matrilineally married to a dynasty member) who was liege to a Bulgarian Duke (matrilineally married to a dynasty member).

Eventually the two of them got in a war which I couldn't interfere with. The Duke got imprisoned and blinded and all I could think was "at least he wasn't castrated"....

How? If my brother revolts and I blind him, he will have a lot less power/stats to try anything again.

If you blind your brother, won't you be getting "blinded kin" penalties from all of your family members?

If you blind your brother, he'll pretty much always hate you. At that point, you might as well just keep him in prison until he dies, or excommunicate and then execute him.

If there's someone I really hate, it's easier just to make sure he/she dies, rather than waste efforts blinding/castrating them.

If you blind your brother, won't you be getting "blinded kin" penalties from all of your family members?

If you blind your brother, he'll pretty much always hate you. At that point, you might as well just keep him in prison until he dies, or excommunicate and then execute him.

If there's someone I really hate, it's easier just to make sure he/she dies, rather than waste efforts blinding/castrating them.

A simple death is no real punishment, blinding/castrating the prisoner will mean that he will suffer for the rest of his life.

Blinding/ castrating is a -80, and for some reasons it automatically releases the vassal in question. This kills byzantine stability, because all the vassals who rebelled will forever hate the emperor's guts, and will be free to form a faction to do something about it. Besides that, it has a 25% chance of getting you the cruel trait, which is another -10 to vassal relations. In short, it sucks. A human should never do it, but the AI does it all the time and, as a result, byzantines implode (doesn't help that muslims have the invasion cb)

Blinding/ castrating is a -80, and for some reasons it automatically releases the vassal in question. This kills byzantine stability, because all the vassals who rebelled will forever hate the emperor's guts, and will be free to form a faction to do something about it. Besides that, it has a 25% chance of getting you the cruel trait, which is another -10 to vassal relations. In short, it sucks. A human should never do it, but the AI does it all the time and, as a result, byzantines implode (doesn't help that muslims have the invasion cb)
Considering all the times I've seen the ERE conquer the steppes and take back Egypt it's a pretty good way to nerf the ERE's brokenness imo.

Blinding/ castrating is a -80, and for some reasons it automatically releases the vassal in question. This kills byzantine stability, because all the vassals who rebelled will forever hate the emperor's guts, and will be free to form a faction to do something about it.

The Eunuch Faction.
And now, it feels like Byzantium is China.

And then, if they overthrow the emperor he still can say "Well, I didn't think they had the balls to do this..."

A simple death is no real punishment, blinding/castrating the prisoner will mean that he will suffer for the rest of his life.

Too bad this has nothing to do with actual gameplay benefits of that decision. There is pretty much never a gameplay reason to blind or castrate someone. In my opinion it should give some bonus to relations with one's vassals, reflecting that they would think twice before they cross such a ruthless ruler. Similar to "crushed a major revolt" really.