• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yey, I managed to get hold of the game to reinstall it and am trying it out now.
Wow....it seems a bit....mad. The riverlands are always going to war with the eyrie :s

Now I just need to figure out how to improve my resolution (I'm sure there is a hack or patch or some sort of fix somewhere) it looks awful on my modern monitor!

Now I just need to figure out how to improve my resolution (I'm sure there is a hack or patch or some sort of fix somewhere) it looks awful on my modern monitor!

Edit the numbers in settings.txt in the .EXE directory to whatever you like.

By the way, have you changed the average lifespan of characters in this mod? Tywin Lannister lived to the ripe old age of 122 in my current game, and my Stark of Winterfell looks set to smash that record. Looking around the world, quite a few others have broken the 100 year mark as well.

Where did you find all the info to flesh out Westeros? I've nearly finished A Feast for Crows and G. R. R. Martin hasn't got close to filling out noble families and counties like you have. Is it from the RPG's or did you make it up yourself?

I have posted the latest version 1.04 which has implemented some of the suggestions. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming :)

Deadplayer: I would have prefered to have Roose Bolton and Walder Frey as bannermen at the game start, however becuase there are only three teirs of vassalation I had to give them starting King Titles, with creatable King titles for land aquired... hmm hard to explain, but basically I had to deprive all "Wardens" of vassals otherwise they would be creating their King titles too easily.

Xox: Just like standard CK remember to play this mod on the lowest AI aggressiveness settings. Challenge isnt increased at higher settings but whacky ahistorical wars certainly are. (I have made a note of this in the readme ty for reminding me).

Calantyr: I did use the roleplaying sourcebooks. However most of the info I got from the various websites with detailed family trees. The COA and dynasty information has come from GRMM, some of the best ones: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Heraldry/
Thanks for you feedback on character ages, Tywin shouldnt be living to 120, however the life expectancy of characters in the novels is longer than the historical middle ages (e.g. Aemon over 100, Walder, and even 60 year old Hedge Knights riding around the countryside). I have tweaked it down a bit though.

Kadvael: Have redone the merc events as Westeros, thanks for pointing this out.

Thanks, it does seem less mad on low aggressive settings.
Nonetheless it just doesn't feel too like Ice and Fire to me.
The war always ebbs out with the kingdoms all remaining in their standard intact divided state then deciding to pick on the other religions.
Having the old gods and the seven as orthodox and catholic seems to work but having the Iron Men as a seperate religion just seems to mean everyone picks on them and carves them up. Then there's the wildlings and the mountain tribes.

I guess the problem is down to there being 7 kingdoms and the limitations in Crusader Kings with kings not being able to be subserviant to kings, there being no emperors, etc...
Having the high septon as a kingdom seems a bit strange I must say though.
I would have had the 7 lords as dukes with there being one kingdom- that would then mean they have way too many counts unfortunately and no sub-counts though.

I must ask: What is the difference between the overlord of the north and the normal ruler of the north?

Sounds like I am just complaining but still good work!
Very impressive to have a totally different map in the game.

Your criticisms are valid. I found it grating myself when a couple of hundered years later there was a Tyrell Queen of the North. Its a bit immersion killing, CK unmoded suffered from this also though. I remember getting really involved in my 4th generation Iberian kingdom, then taking a look around the rest of the world and seeing Muslim Scotland and quitting in disgust.

Trying to squeeze the Westeros setting into the CK engine was awkward and some things couldnt fit. The 3 teir system was the main barrier, religion and Pope was another tricky one. Fitting CK into an authentic Middle Earth setting was even more difficult. While it was awesome making a mod set in a widely recognisable, deep and established world (creating the Frey dynasty I could see how they had spread like a cancer into the other Westeros dynasties:eek:), it was frustrating working against the game system.

As there are no decent games out now and none immenent until CK which is another year off at least. I am now working on a CK mod set in my own world which will take advantage of what CK does well and place emphasis on enjoyable gameplay, e.g. there will be Crusades, a pope, "mongols" rvagaing the world, clear King>Duke>Count teirs. The world is influenced by Michael Moorcock - Melniboné, The Silmarillion, Magnamund, Ultima's Britannia and also Warhammer FB with the pseudo real world (German) Empire and (French) Bretonnia.

Getting the balance right between deep plausible world /vs Good gameplay is the key. As its not based on any novels or pre-existing world it wont be immersion breaking if my Kingdom of Calandria conquers half the world.

The map is half done and looks awesome (should be around 900 provs). I will try and keep the family tree depth of Westeros as I want to avoid the random count of prov #924 with randomly generated courtiers effect (which even CK had in the backwaters).

just wanted to stop by and say thank you for all your hard work--- love crusader kings and this mod is exactly what i had been looking for....was getting tired of waiting until spring for game of thrones....i also get to play with the Carons which is absolutely icing on the cake. anyway hope you are making improvements still and will definately keep up with the mod--

Grell:

Have you stopped working on this? I hope not, coz this is tempting me to buy CK: complete just to play this mod.

This is really well done. Thanks!

I like the new portraits a lot, and the mechanics for knighthood are interesting. I hope you're planning one further refining and improving the mod!

Last edited:
Now I really have to go buy Deus Vult, this is exactly what I've been looking for. How about making another scenario starting somewhere after Eddard was executed with Robb declaring himself King in the North. :)

love the mod and even started an AAR :)

few things I noticed:
- Bastards send to the Wall sometimes either dont go there at all or come back within a few years.
- the event for Kingsguard didnt fire often enough so I lowered the MTTH to 100...than it fired too much so up to 200. Will check that out but seems ok (around 8 knights so thats ok)
- The wildlings cant create a Kings title...like in my game altough they have all teh lands, they cant create a Kingship.

As for a new scenario...I could help with that...
we could use the start at the same time as the books. ot at the start of the War of the 5 Kings. In both cases we would need a good modder that could mod in a Targaryen attack ala Mongols in CK

Have been playing around with the mod some, and find it great! But my Dornish lord have come upon a problem, at the start of the game, I could grab a title for around 100 prestige, but now it will cost me between 2000-20000 to claim the same title? Why has there been such a high increase in prestige cost for claiming a title? Is this normal for CK? I haven't played vanilla that much...

Have been playing around with the mod some, and find it great! But my Dornish lord have come upon a problem, at the start of the game, I could grab a title for around 100 prestige, but now it will cost me between 2000-20000 to claim the same title? Why has there been such a high increase in prestige cost for claiming a title? Is this normal for CK? I haven't played vanilla that much...

2000 is already alot.. :p
what title is that?

Claiming a ttitle depends on the Prestige of the character who already has teh title. And his rank. Claiming from a King (or Overlord) costs more than from a count (a seat)

than of-course there are also other factors like traits that can influence it. IF a character is excommunicated claiming their titles is nearly free. Also other bad traits influence it IIRC like kin-slayer.

I've been had fun playing as Rhaegar too, having reconquered much of Westeros through forced vassalization - it's the only way in which you can blitz-conquer without racking up immense infamy, which is quite realistic and historical. Most hilarious thing that happened, though, was that Eddard Stark and Catelyn had a falling-out, being rivals and fighting a few wars :D

If you still take suggestions on alternative start dates, I'd throw in a vote for the start of the War of the Five Kings.

The latest word on the CK2 forum is that it will have Emperor-level titles that are actually able to have kings as vassals. Which should make it possible to have the King of Andals, Rhoynar and First Men as a direct overlord of a king of one of the seven kingdoms. It annoyed me to no small extent that I couldn't impose vassalage on the kings, I had to seize their crowns and force them to essentially become dukes. Frankly, if I had done the mod, I would simply have defined all of Westeros as one kingdom, and the seven realms as mega-duchies. In the books, pretty much all noble houses that are mentioned are under direct vassalage to the ruler of the realm anyway. Knights with large enough lands to be vassals in their own right, like Ser Gregor Clegane, would probably not be big enough to even count as counts, in CK terms. After all, we accept in vanilla CK that there are tiers of nobility below counts, that they're just not shown for simplicity.

Fantastic work nevertheless. If I didn't have my own mod (VRRP for Victoria 2) to occupy me, I'd offer to be your bannerman. However, do you have plans of making the Westeros mod for CK2 when it comes out? Since it's at least a year until then, I might be less occupied with VRRP by then, and might well have the time to take part in CK2 Westeros mod.

I am intently watching the progress of CK2, I am quite excited by what I am seeing and plan to immedietly start work on a Westeros mod (probabaly a LOTR and Warhammer too). I will be making similar style portraits, but they will look alot better (wont be restricted by the current 256 colour palette. I have seen there is a 4th Emperor teir so this will make it easier to accurately mod the Westeros feudal setup.

This is a great achievment! I started a game but it quickly overwhelmed me (and I did not have the time required to delve in too ;) ), so I will first play some regular CK games before moving here.

And I am also eagerly awaiting CK2 and the port to it, so I offer future help for it too ;)

Thx Grell!